Zootopia! Never been so excited for a CG film

beaker

Reaction score
Anyone who knows me, knows I am generally not the biggest fan of not just most talking animal cg kids films, but most cg kids films in general. Pixar feels hit or miss for me, I haven't bothered to see a Dreamworks film since Monsters vs Aliens. But the moment I saw concept art for Disney's Zootopia in 2013 I knew it was going to be something special. And now with less than a month away and a bunch of new trailers, I have to say I don't think I've ever been so excited for a modern Disney film. Everything about the colors, style, chemistry, architecture, vibe, etc just feels so fresh and alive. I love the personality of the character Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde, and it just seems like such a great breath of fresh air to the anthro animal genre. It also serves as a not so subtle commentary on society today, as well as just looks so fun. Almost getting
a slight Roger Rabbit with a hint of Miami Vice vibe.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Frankly, I wasn't too excited when I heard about Zootopia. Not "I'd never bother with this film" not excited, but certainly not the pins and needles I got from Wreck-it Ralph's announcement or Big Hero Six.

Then I saw the trailer.

I'm bouncing off the walls for this one. It seems like this film is already getting a huge fanbase before it even came out, and not doubt anthro fans of all angles (ones that like them and ones that really like them, and you know what I mean by that) are chomping at the bit for March 4th to come. There's something about this film that seems amazing to me. Maybe it's the fact it's like a movie version of a 1980's/early 90's Disney TV cartoon, maybe they're doing some deconstruction on the subject of anthro cartoon characters, maybe it's just the sloths. But I went from "eh, probably going to see it anyway" to "can't freaking wait."

mr3urious

Reaction score
There's something very lush and painterly about the visuals here. Maybe it's the warm lighting in many shots and the textures of the animals' fur and skin that kinda make it look like an oil painting, but I'm loving the look of it. It also seems to play with animal stereotypes in a much better manner than 2005's Chicken Little, seemingly utilizing them to satirize modern society rather than just make a bunch of obvious jokes.

beaker

Reaction score
Frankly, I wasn't too excited when I heard about Zootopia. Not "I'd never bother with this film" not excited, but certainly not the pins and needles I got from Wreck-it Ralph's announcement or Big Hero Six.

Then I saw the trailer.

I'm bouncing off the walls for this one. It seems like this film is already getting a huge fanbase before it even came out, and not doubt anthro fans of all angles (ones that like them and ones that really like them, and you know what I mean by that) are chomping at the bit for March 4th to come. There's something about this film that seems amazing to me. Maybe it's the fact it's like a movie version of a 1980's/early 90's Disney TV cartoon, maybe they're doing some deconstruction on the subject of anthro cartoon characters, maybe it's just the sloths. But I went from "eh, probably going to see it anyway" to "can't freaking wait."
Oh heck, the deviant art furry artists can go wild with this. I mean we've been on again off again fans of hollywood computer generated kids films since what, 20 years ago? Toy Story, Ants, Small Soldiers, Bugs Life? And since the late 2000's we've seen more misses than hits with the genre. Glut after glut, misstep after misstep. Dreamworks chief amongst the less than stellar films, but Fox and Universal are to blame too.

But man, Zootopia(or, for our European friends, Zootropolis) I kind of liked Big Hero 6, at least in part. I kind of liked Bolt and Tangled, hated Frozen. But as far as non Pixar, modern Disney animation. Zootopia feels visionary. It's like the "3d" Disney I always imagined. It feels smart, it tackles a lot of uncomfortable issues in American society from a sly point, has multi dimensional characters, and stars probably the most loveable female character ever with Jason Bateman as a reluctant hero-con artist who feels right out of Beverly Hills Cop or Miami Vice. Theres no guns in this cop drama, but the action and urgency seems none the less intense.

It's funny, I googled "Zootopia Roger Rabbit" and I found this little piece of promo art that the creator and director of Zootopia posted

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh heck, the deviant art furry artists can go wild with this. I mean we've been on again off again fans of hollywood computer generated kids films since what, 20 years ago? Toy Story, Ants, Small Soldiers, Bugs Life? And since the late 2000's we've seen more misses than hits with the genre. Glut after glut, misstep after misstep. Dreamworks chief amongst the less than stellar films, but Fox and Universal are to blame too.
I really blame the small little fifth and sixth party companies (like Lionsgate) that dump out cheap little Dorothy's Adventures in Oz, Gnomeo and Juliet, and Norm of the North type crap. I'm not a huge fan of Sony, but some of their latest movies were decent. Certainly not the Open Season franchise which just...it's terrible.

I like that Disney has both Pixar and their own studio, and it was a shame that for a little while they were making better films than Pixar was at the time. I think that they're the straight A student that everyone wants to fail, so when they make a less than stellar movie, everyone piles on them for it. Then we keep getting Ice Ages and they keep making money overseas and no one says anything but "ugh, another one." Seriously, Blue Sky... Robots was your best independent work (I don't count The Peanuts Movie because the Schulz kids wrote it). Nope, Ice Age and Rio made money, so let's sequel those.

As I always say, sure we can talk about the glut of CGI movies now, but we keep forgetting the glut of bad traditionally animated movies other studios were making since Beauty and the Beast was a success.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Can't wait here too. I admit I was skeptical at first but, now I am excited.

C to the J

Reaction score
For once, they made a teaser trailer that has original animation/gags most likely not to be seen in the movie. I remember the part with Olaf sniffing a flower in the first Frozen trailer and the part with Hiro putting the super suit on Baymax in the first Big Hero 6 trailer, and what do you know? They were used in the movies.

I believe The Good Dinosaur sort of missed the mark with their very first trailer, since everything in their teaser trailer is seen again in the actual movie. Seems to me Pixar's habit of keeping teaser trailers completely original is slipping away.

Looks like WDAS are really getting somewhere! From what I've observed, Zootopia only has mammals, so I guess we won't be expecting birds, reptiles, amphibians, etcetra.

beaker

Reaction score
I refuse to ever see Frozen, every thing about Frozen rubs me the wrong way. But I do love non Pixar Disney 3d films. I loved Bolt and Chicken Little, and I like some of Big Hero 6.(which is TECHNICALLY a Marvel Comics film)

I am predicting that Zootopia, not Wreck It Ralph, will be the rightful heir to Roger Rabbit

Drtooth

Reaction score
I find that Frozen gets too much hate and too much love at the same time. If there's anything I can respect about it, it's that if they made it a traditional (read: formulaic) Disney Princess movie it would have sucked more. I mean, Animaniacs pegged Disney for that back in their Pocadottas parody. I have a respect for it in that aspect, but Disney should rope it in with the merchandise.

Besides. Star Butterfly is Disney's best princess to date. And she's a TV show.

This movie looks to be a smash (or at least it should be), and I really hope this thing becomes more than just a movie. Zootopia sounds like it could work as a television series if done right. Still think Big Hero deserves a TV or comic book series. I loved that movie, but it seems that it could have been the framework for something bigger.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Besides. Star Butterfly is Disney's best princess to date. And she's a TV show.
I don't see why Disney has to be so neglectful of its TV princesses (apart from Sofia, but then again, she is from a preschool show). But hey, Star's got it easy compared to Eilonwy from The Black Cauldron.