RED ALERT! "The Muppets" fans need to contact ABC **NOW**!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I mean again, this could go either way. It's Disney synergy, so you never know, it's possible the finale grows in big numbers leading ABC to renew it. Still not looking good, ABC repeated episodes so much, advertised the reboot a lot, and what happened, a new low, not promising, but maybe they'll renew it just to save face, it was supposed to be a big hit. Though I doubt feeback helps too much, we have to do whatever we can. After the Galavant renewal, I really don't know.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Either way your negativity won't help.
Once again, not trying to be negative, just realistic. This is show business after all, and particularly in the U.S., they're in it to make a profit, not necessarily to turn out quality, which is one of the reasons why Jim himself was able to get more done over in the U.K. (including TMS) than he was here: they care more about the artistic aspect over there than they do here.
After the Galavant renewal, I really don't know.
Yeah, wasn't that supposed to be just a one-season mid-season replacement show anyway?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Yeah, wasn't that supposed to be just a one-season mid-season replacement show anyway?
Galavant was a show that went as low as a 0.9 demo, it could easily have been cancelled and was certain to be cancelled for every ratings website, then suddenly ABC renewed it, not that it worked as ratings collapsed even further, but it happened, same with American Crime, this went as low as a 0.8 demo and was renewed, and is stll doing the same as The Muppets with the same ratings. If this show gets renewed it will be because ABC is too humilated to cancel it, because it was supposed to be a ratings hit, that's good for us though even if it happens like that.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Galavant was a show that went as low as a 0.9 demo, it could easily have been cancelled and was certain to be cancelled for every ratings website, then suddenly ABC renewed it, not that it worked as ratings collapsed even further, but it happened, same with American Crime, this went as low as a 0.8 demo and was renewed, and is stll doing the same as The Muppets with the same ratings. If this show gets renewed it will be because ABC is too humilated to cancel it, because it was supposed to be a ratings hit, that's good for us though even if it happens like that.
But that was when Paul Lee was there,he's the one who really faught for these shows, including The Muppets. But now he's gone,the new head may not be as kind to these shows. Besides,the reason she's here is because ABC wanted something different,a new perspective. Which I totally understand,TV is changing rapidly and ABC can only make Modern Family but so many times before it gets old.Seriously,Modern Family,The Middle,The Goldbergs,Blackish,Fresh Off the Boat are extremely similar to eachother with Fresh Off the Boat and Goldbergs both having that narrated by an older version of the main character,takes place twenty-30 years ago "The Wonder Years" format. Maybe the reason Paul was let go was because he, a) kept greenlighting the same basic concept over and over and because he kept renewing failing shows.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Something else worth mentioning...contacting ABC HQ is priority but also take a moment to also contact your local affiliate station. Let them know you loyally watch the show on their station and that you're extremely concerned that the power struggles and personnel shift at the top of the network will affect your favorite show's chances of returning for another season.

Networks tend to meet with the affiliates around March/April. If several of the individual stations report that the most positive feedback they've been getting are from "The Muppets" viewers and that they've been hearing from lots of people in their local market that they very much want the show renewed, that's something that ABC execs who might have the show in its crosshairs can't ignore or easily dismiss.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But that was when Paul Lee was there,he's the one who really faught for these shows, including The Muppets. But now he's gone,the new head may not be as kind to these shows.
That's where I'm more worried than anything. Unless a show was really unpopular, it was guaranteed at least a second season. Better off Ted, Pushing Daisies, even The Neighbors. ABC had more successes than failures lately. The failures failed HARD. Wicked City vanished after the second episode, they tried one awful singing competition that no one watched and they didn't bother with another. Same with a terrible Game Show (both are listed in TV Trope's "So Bad, It's Horrible" page for live action television). They've been fairly generous with their sitcoms for the most part. The show, by that logic, should at least get a renewal. It's probably a lot cheaper than most sitcoms, certainly cheaper than any action shows. There's at least motivation in synergy and cost effectiveness.

And on that note, I don't think the new series going into its time slot is going to be an improvement. I do sort of agree that all the family sitcoms they have are similar in a way (with the exception of that crappy unlikable, why the heck does it keep getting renewed one), but this one really makes that obvious as heck. And how much mileage can you get out of "hypocritically dysfunctional Irish Catholic family doing un-Catholic things?" I'm withholding judgement until I actually see this, but I'm not loving the promos. Though if "A Couple Hundred Angry Religious Leaders and Easily Angered People Who Shouldn't be on Facebook" whines about it, I'm all for supporting this show.

The ratings are slipping now due in part to the time slot. The internet can be all up in arms about how "Oscarsowhite," but watch a sitcom not about white guys? And I have to admit, Agent Carter's story is slow this season (but it picked up pretty fast). Plus, if you miss one week, thanks to their concessions to cable congloms, you have to wait until after the subsequent episode to see the previous one. So, yeah.. why bother watching it on TV when you can binge watch the whole thing? So The Muppets is between these two series, and it's not good for them, even though going against New Girl isn't good for them either. We can only hope the online ratings for TM is enough to renew it, and just hope that those watching aren't part of the rigged and less and less relevant Nielsen system.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I sent out a twit earlier this week, and it's been re-twitted a few times! :big_grin: My next one will include the renew hashtag for sure.

Grovette

Reaction score
I'm trying to help as much as I can too!
I really want a second season!!

Won't have a reason to watch ABC anymore if they cancel.
:sympathy:

dwmckim

Reaction score
I have a new and better phone number to use:

818-460-7030 - this is new ABC President Channing Dungey's voicemail so not only can you better ensure it's heard by someone who matters but you also aren't limited to 30 seconds like the ABC Comment Line.

Just please be polite and respectful if calling. No angry ranting.

When i left a message tonight i:
-congratulated her on her new position
-expressed my love for The Muppets and hoped to see it renewed and not readily dismissed because it was something former Pres Paul Lee had championed
-pointed out ABC's biggest mistake with the show was putting it on doomed-to-fail Tuesdays and that if moved to a night like Wednesday, that would maximize the potential of connecting with viewers more likely to watch same-day live broadcasts
-reminded her this is a show with a 123 country distribution deal and has the second highest average demos of all ABC's new shows this season
-expressed disappointment that there's been no promo for the upcoming season finale and that fans need to know to tune in a half-hour earlier on Tuesday so they don't miss half the hour long finale - the show deserves a good final hurrah whether it ends up being the final episode of the season or the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.