The Muppets SPOILER Thread

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
ABC's lack of advertising for this show is really bothering me at this point. They had ample opportunity during the Disneyland 60 special (especially since it featured Kermit singing, for frog's sake!). Nothing. I counted five or six promos for The Real O'Neals, but nothing for The Muppets.

Even during last night's Fresh Off The Boat, the only promo we saw was a three-second ad at the 27-minute mark that teased Lara Spencer's appearance. That's it. And we really should have had at least one commercial during the hour (or at least during the half-hour The Muppets was airing) that teed up next week's one-hour season finale. Nothing.

I hate jumping to conclusions but it almost looks like ABC is embarrassed with the low February ratings and is trying to make people forget about the show so they won't feel guilty about cancelling it. Which is horrific, considering that "Little Green Lie" was, from where I'm sitting, one of the best episodes of the entire series and made me laugh more than 80 per cent of the shows I've watched on any network in the last six months.

GonzoLover726

Reaction score
It would be an absolute miracle if the show got renewed for another chance to shine with the new format at this point. :concern:

I get why people turned away at first cause there's no denying that the first few episodes were really bad but by the 5th or 6th is started to get good and so far I love all of the episodes since the reboot (except last weeks) i just wish people gave it another chance this month.

Also I personally think the entire show should've been like last nights episode. With the majority of the time going to the muppets being their muppet selves inside and outside of work with a few minutes going to a skit or guest on "Up Late."

Nevertheless it was nice watching a Muppet show as it aired at least once in my life it's a shame it never got much love and attention. I feel bad for the Muppeteers and everyone working on the show. They tried at least. :concern::embarrassed::sympathy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate jumping to conclusions but it almost looks like ABC is embarrassed with the low February ratings and is trying to make people forget about the show so they won't feel guilty about cancelling it. Which is horrific, considering that "Little Green Lie" was, from where I'm sitting, one of the best episodes of the entire series and made me laugh more than 80 per cent of the shows I've watched on any network in the last six months.
At this point, I really hope "The Real O'Neils" flops worse. I want to give it a chance, but every extended preview just makes Boardertown look subdued and subtle by comparison. We GET it! They're hypocritical religious types. Doesn't seem like any traction there.

ABC's massive mistake was moving the time slot to avoid something that somehow keeps getting viewers and renewals. "Fresh off the Boat" provides a lame lead in (and it shouldn't) and "Agent Carter" doesn't even provide a nice watch this while waiting slot. There was a tiny, but respectable audience tuning in until the changes. Maybe if they didn't essentially broadcast them everywhere, it wouldn't have looked desperate. This show deserves another season if anything to show that they are capable of making the show much better when they have a few more months off. But it won't, and Real O'Neils will probably last a couple weeks at best.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The ratings for this episode were not amazing but they have gone up a bit since last week's episode.

Last week's episode had pretty much the same ratings as the week before. So perhaps this is a good sign. The viewership has stayed consistent and has even gone up without any advertisement whatsoever. So perhaps this at least show's ABC that The Muppets has a dedicated fanbase and they'll keep it on air for a while.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just had a worrisome realization. Not so much about the ratings, but considering next Tuesday is Super Tuesday, I'm confident that most of the affiliates will pre-empt the night for election coverage. I really wish they'd move this up a week, as well as the finale of Agent Carter.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Unless I read it wrong, it looks like the main networks (including ABC) aren't going to begin their Super Tuesday coverage until 10 ET, so that would at least allow the Eastern and Central time zones to see The Muppets and Agent Carter. It will probably vary from state to state but I think we've got a decent shot at a good audience for the season finale(s) next week.

I really wish ABC would get off its butt and properly advertise these finales. During last night's comedy block I'm sure I saw five promos for The Real O'Neals (which ABC is debuting next Wednesday, with the first two episodes slotted around The Goldbergs and Modern Family, before shifting to The Muppets' current Tuesday time slot). Absolutely nothing for The Muppets, even though it's a one-hour season finale and the networks usually promote these types of things to the high heavens. Grrr...

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's because they want to make the most out of a new program. I'm disheartened by the fact they aren't advertising the Muppets finale. Agent Carter got one at the end of Agent Carter, but only because it aired during the end credits. The time The Muppets uses for a stinger.

That said, I complained a couple weeks back when my local (not New Hampshire) ABC affiliate blocked an entire night's programming for coverage of a primary that isn't ours. And New Hampshire has its own ABC affiliate (and our cable provider gives us both) and it, too, was a full night of coverage. I'm worried this might take a bite out of the show even further if local news affiliates decide to black out national programming as well.

That said, I wonder... Real O'Neals was supposed to premiere in The Muppets' time slot. But they're seemingly pushing it up and burning off two episodes. Seems to say that they're not as confident of the show as possible. And frankly, I'm more annoyed by the "The Family" promotions. Never has there been such a collection of Narm. Why, the big reveal in the commercial of the kid coming back is (and I kid you not) accompanied by a television screen playing Curious George. Way to ruin the dramatic sting with a happy monkey.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score

So the finale will bring back Mahna Mahna as well as Marvin Suggs and his Muppaphones. Also, I can't help but notice Gonzo's canon in the background, along with a Chandelier on the other side...the return of "At the Dance"? Haha. Seems like a killer episode.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
ABC's lack of advertising for this show is really bothering me at this point. They had ample opportunity during the Disneyland 60 special (especially since it featured Kermit singing, for frog's sake!). Nothing. I counted five or six promos for The Real O'Neals, but nothing for The Muppets.

Even during last night's Fresh Off The Boat, the only promo we saw was a three-second ad at the 27-minute mark that teased Lara Spencer's appearance. That's it. And we really should have had at least one commercial during the hour (or at least during the half-hour The Muppets was airing) that teed up next week's one-hour season finale. Nothing.

I miss the days when I would see showers of muppet promos, such a good time, even up to Single All the Way, constant advertising, but after these low ratings there's not much hope, they're not even bothering to advertise the season finale, that's even worse, but I guess ABC has to make room for their endless rampage of generic family sitcoms that are basically the same show, and actually good shows like this and Galavant get cancelled.