Golden Globes - What's the Point?

Drtooth

Reaction score
So I'm assuming they ended the Oscars with "Fight the Power" on purpose since they were "racist" this year?
You know what? I'm vary glad that Chris Rock didn't [kitty]foot around the issue. I knew that he'd address this somehow, and I'm glad it wasn't just an aside joke. It certainly kept the awards ceremony from being boring. And at least Chris Rock wasn't awkward and out of his element like Seth MacFarline and Neil Patrick Harris were.

That said, while they're now considering new rules for consideration (the Oscar So White thing is because the Bakadamey is made up of old white people who only watch movies old white people would like), they simply must do something about the "Best Original Screenplay" rules. There is no way a movie based on real live events should be in the same category as those who have to actually make stuff up. Either they should be in best adapted (as they're adapted from real life events) or have their own category, something along the lines of "Best Screenplay Adapted from Real Events" or something.

Other than that, this awards show was certainly better than some of the last ones. They brought back the holograms of cartoon characters to award best Animated short and feature categories. So much better than Mathew McConaguhey and that old actress being high through their whole presentation. Minions and Buzz and Woody. That's great. Loved seeing Ali G present an award as well. Not to mention R2, Threepio, and BB8 on stage. Most of the presenters were a little blah, though. Did like seeing the youngest actors present as well. Especially since one of them said exactly what I would about Chris Rock. "I loved you in Madagascar." But I really loved Louie C.K.'s backhanded and subversive speech about the short documentaries. You tell 'em Louie.

As for the awards themselves, I'm very happy Mad Max won virtually all the effects and design awards. Those usually go to period pieces, and that's unfair since they have something to go on and copy from. Kinda disappointed Star Wars didn't win anything there, though, but at least it wasn't any of the period piece films. Making an old person mask on a young actor shouldn't win every time and thankfully it didn't.

I kinda wish Richard Williams won for best animated short. Inside Out getting the award was inevitable. I don't think I'd enjoy Anomalisa outside of the visuals. They never give it to Ghibli or the other foreign film anyway. And I liked Inside Out too much to complain.

I'm also glad that the substandard R&B song from the undeserved nomination for Fifty Sharts of Grey didn't win. And also, I have to say while it may be a good movie and all, I'm glad that The Big Short didn't win anything. I'm mixed about Spotlight. Mainly because I hate how Hollywood waits a good decade after the fact to make these prestige films about terrible things happening so we'll never forget that it happened rather than more currently and shining a light on recent events. Though, to be fair it does take that long to get all the facts straight, but Big Short's subject matter was pretty much the subversive plot of "The Good Guys." And that came out a year or two after the bank failings.

mr3urious

Reaction score
You know what? I'm vary glad that Chris Rock didn't [kitty]foot around the issue. I knew that he'd address this somehow, and I'm glad it wasn't just an aside joke. It certainly kept the awards ceremony from being boring. And at least Chris Rock wasn't awkward and out of his element like Seth MacFarline and Neil Patrick Harris were.
I thought Chris Rock was a great host, and brought some much-needed humor throughout the show. He delivered some very strong messages regarding the "controversy" of the Oscars being "so white", too, like how African-American actors shouldn't get too worked up over something like this and keep working hard doing what they do best.

As for the awards themselves, I'm very happy Mad Max won virtually all the effects and design awards. Those usually go to period pieces, and that's unfair since they have something to go on and copy from. Kinda disappointed Star Wars didn't win anything there, though, but at least it wasn't any of the period piece films. Making an old person mask on a young actor shouldn't win every time and thankfully it didn't.
I loved seeing Mad Max win all those awards. Nice way to stick it to all those period dramas.

I kinda wish Richard Williams won for best animated short. Inside Out getting the award was inevitable. I don't think I'd enjoy Anomalisa outside of the visuals. They never give it to Ghibli or the other foreign film anyway. And I liked Inside Out too much to complain.
Poor, poor Richard Williams. The butchering of his intended magnum opus into a Disney wannabe probably still stings to him, but it is nice that he's still working on new stuff. And seeing that Chilean short win for best animated short over Sanjay's Super Team was surprising.

I'm mixed about Spotlight. Mainly because I hate how Hollywood waits a good decade after the fact to make these prestige films about terrible things happening so we'll never forget that it happened rather than more currently and shining a light on recent events.
I also wanted Stallone to win for best supporting actor for Creed, since he got snubbed for best actor in Rocky all those years back. Would have liked to see Bryan Cranston win for best lead actor in Trumbo, too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also wanted Stallone to win for best supporting actor for Creed, since he got snubbed for best actor in Rocky all those years back. Would have liked to see Bryan Cranston win for best lead actor in Trumbo, too.
While I'm not really a big fan, I'm at least glad Leo wasn't Susan Luccied out of another award. But I kinda wanted Brian to win if only for the reason of his bizarre pre-fame career. Saban voice actor. No kidding. He was a voice actor for Eagle Riders, an obscure Gatchaman dub, as well as several monsters on Power Rangers.

Though, I have to admit, while I'm glad Stallone was nominated for playing Rocky, the Oscar So White thing makes a lot of sense that Apollo Creed's son wasn't for the same movie.

But let's look at the other awards this past weekend....

Fantastic Four swept the Razzies and tied "Worst Pitcure" with Fifty Sharts of Grey. While the same guy who was snubbed for his role in Creed was nominated for "Worst Actor," thankfully it went to the Grey cast members.

Though I still can't really agree with Road Chip getting a nomination and Jem being snubbed. Maybe it was so forgettable, they just forgot it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Didn't we just have the Grammy's? What's the deal with this "I Love Radio Awards," and why do we need it? It looks like it's literally the exact same thing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ugh. There's a freaking award for movie trailers. And apparently this has been around 17 years. How do I know?

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice is nominated (but also Deadpool, so yaaaaaaay). Considering the reception that film got and I'd say deserves some of it, it's probably the only award it'll win. Unless the Razzies get all snarky. Don't think it's that deserving of it, unless they give Jessie Eissenberg a "worst actor" nom.

But seriously... TRAILER AWARDS!!!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well . . . Kevin Nealon used to host those best commercials of the year specials for the longest time. Same difference?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well . . . Kevin Nealon used to host those best commercials of the year specials for the longest time. Same difference?
No. But advertising does have its own awards, and I have to admit, I think that they do deserve it. They're just nothing that would be broadcast. But those "Best Commercials" type shows are what they had for the longest time because the internet didn't exist and that was the only way to see older commercials or ones taken out of rotation. These are actual awards for trailers. Something I'm surprised that even deserves them since most trailers suuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Though all the awards should go to Pixar for Teasers. They're usually good with those. Though I miss when the teasers could be cartoon shorts themselves. I'll never forget that wonderful Incredibles teaser where Bob was trying to get his old outfit to fit. Sure, it's one of my top favorite Pixar films, but I could have accepted it if that was the only thing.

And the award for Trailer with the Most Spoilers goes to!...
Hey. At least it didn't spoil how much Jessie Eisneberg's Lex Creeper sucked. Think it should have at least warned us about that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wait just a minute . . . there's actually awards for webseries now? What kind of credentials do you have to have to get nominated for something like that? None of the work I've ever produced ever got nominated for anything. Or is this for internet-exclusive budgeted shows like shows on Netflix and the new subscription version of Hulu and such?

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Where did you see that at? Could be for web original series for Netflix like you said. Do you have a source for that. I'd love to see the website and winners for that.