The Muppets Episode 16 - Because...Love

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Because...Love"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They're not trying to copy The Office and Modern Family. They're just using the same style they used. It's called a genre.
Style and genres are two different things: genres are comedy, drama, action/adventure, horror/thriller, what have you; style is what you do with it.
So you didn't watch a single episode yet continued to bash it endlessly.
Did I "bash it endlessly"? I think not. Did I voice my opinions and concerns a number of times? Yes. But when's the last time I "bashed" the show? If anything, I've hardly gotten involved with recent review threads unless a subject regarding how things are done within the television industry.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
So now that this season is over, I'm going to say that I have not watched this show at all, as there was nothing about it that was luring me in or begging for my attention. Even before the show went on, I had one strike against it: bringing in people from THE OFFICE, THE BIG DANG THEORY, and MODERN FAMILY to try to turn this into THE BIG MODERN MUPPET OFFICE FAMILY; I felt like this was a compromise of the Muppets' integrity and legacy of being the unique and fun franchise that they are and that ABC/Disney was trying too hard to try to get them to achieve mainstream status by trying to make their show seem like just another mainstream sitcom . . . but again, that's not to say this show needed to try to duplicate TMS, because they already tried that in the 90s with MT, and that didn't work too well. Later bringing in Chelsea Handler as a guest star was strike two - that felt entirely unnecessary and it seemed to me they only did that as a measure of trying to ensure this show was "edgy" and "adult."

So with two strikes against it already, the show was on the verge of a boycott from me, however I would keep reading the review threads for each episode, and I could see that the attitude of the reviews with each episode since the show's "soft reboot" were becoming increasingly positive and favorable, which seemed to instill some hope for the show . . . still not enough for me to give the show a looksie (as I mentioned with strike one), but it's been nice to see that the show has evidentally been improving.

If the show does get renewed for another season, surely there's still room for further improvements, but until then, only time will tell. Perhaps if it does, I may forgive the show one strike . . . for Chelsea Handler (since she apparently wasn't her usual crass, trashy, classless self) - the idea of copying THE OFFICE and MODERN FAMILY still doesn't sit well with me . . . and if the show does continue to improve if it's renewed, I may actually consider checking it out.
The show has grown to be so much more than a carbon copy of other shows. It truly does stand on it's own now that they have worked out the kinks.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Frankly i'm shocked. What kind of a Muppet fan are you to criticize one of their shows without even watching it.
One who treasures and cherishes the characters, the franchise as a whole, the people who have been involved with it in making them what they've meant to us for so long, and when I feel like choices are being made that aren't necessarily what seem like the best route to go with for them, then I'm going to say what I have to say about that - it's no different than how I've voiced my disdain in the past for VMX relying too much on edgy Simpsons-esque humor and now-dated pop culture references to seem like a hip movie, or how other people on this forum like to pretend MFS, KSY, or MOz don't even exist and consider them blemishes on the Muppet franchise.

ploobis

Reaction score
WOW!!! What a Season Finale!

I mean, we saw Howard Tubman, Mahna Mahna, The Snowths, Link Hogthrob, Pops, Marvin Suggs & his Muppaphone, Droop, Bobby Benson's Baby Band, Zippity Zap, Geri & the Atrics, Old Tom, JG FRackle and Bubba the Rat!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The show has grown to be so much more than a carbon copy of other shows. It truly does stand on it's own now that they have worked out the kinks.
That's what I'm saying: I can see in the reviews since the soft reboot that things have evidentally improved, and should the show be renewed for a second season, then hopefully things will continue to improve and that could further turn it into a better show.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
There were a lot of muppets in the room such as Link, Droop, and Howard Tubman from Muppets Tonight whom I haven't seen since the Christmas movie in 2002.

Of course we also got to see Zippity Zap too. I wanted him to have a line like "man, it seems like I haven't seen you all in 11 years" as a throwback gag since he hasn't been used since the Oz film in 2005.

I think what would have been a great cameo is if Johnny Fiama and Sal showed up and had a few lines.

Sal: Alright all you buttheads! Watch out and make way for Johnny Fiama!
Johnny: Sal, can it will you. We're here to throw our support for love.
Sal: Okay, I'll love all of these buttheads more if they can clear the way for you!

mr3urious

Reaction score
Well, what a season this has been. There is obviously a lot of stuff left wide open a la Galavant, and I'll be crushed if this doesn't get renewed. Just how will Kermit and Piggy's relationship play out if there even is another season? And will we ever get to see Denise or Becky again? I'm waiting with bated breath here!

And you can tell that this feels like a finale because of all the appearances of classic Muppets, and even a few obscure ones such as Howard Tubman and Bubba the Rat.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Style and genres are two different things: genres are comedy, drama, action/adventure, horror/thriller, what have you; style is what you do with it.

Did I "bash it endlessly"? I think not. Did I voice my opinions and concerns a number of times? Yes. But when's the last time I "bashed" the show? If anything, I've hardly gotten involved with recent review threads unless a subject regarding how things are done within the television industry.
You could have at least given it a shot, they explained at Comic Con that the show was going to be a spoof of mocumentry shows like how TMS was a spoof of variety shows, Gonzo adressing how "you talk into the camera and say how you really feel and say something completly different" was making fun of the style as well as when Kermit was apparently talking to the camera in one episode but it showed that he was actually talking to Bobo when he said "are you listening", Bobo says "I thought you were doing one of those inteviews", Kermit says no. You would not see this on The Office or Modern Family this is spoofing the genre not being the genre. Also they've focused less on the interviews in the newer episodes even before the reboot. Anyways, this is why the show is getting cancelled, people don't bother to give it a chance.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying: I can see in the reviews since the soft reboot that things have evidentally improved, and should the show be renewed for a second season, then hopefully things will continue to improve and that could further turn it into a better show.
Well hopefully we get that second season and you can have the chance to enjoy it. I may not agree, but I can understand where you're coming from. Everybody has different standards when it comes to quality.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
I loved it ! the old skits , the old characters . this episode was great, I really enjoyed all the rebooted episodes.