The Muppets Episode 16 - Because...Love

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Because...Love"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Okay, so see everybody? I'm not the only one who feels like this show could have and should have gone in a different direction. And thank you, finally somebody whoi agrees with me about the mockumentary angle. It doesn't work for television, it just doesn't: movies are okay, such as those old Christopher Guest films and all, but it comes off very awkward on TV and it really takes you out of the story and makes it difficult to try to relate to or even believe in the characters. It's become to TV sitcoms what 3D was to movies for a while: an overused gimmick - once they find something that works (in this case, the mockumentary style of THE OFFICE), then everybody had to jump on board with it - that, or the "narration" style, which is really similar. What's even worse is that there's now an unwritten rule that single camera sitcoms are not allowed to have any sounds of laughter - live or simulated - and this is now something the networks are wanting to apply to their multi-camera sitcoms now too: CBS is going to try to film all of their multi-camera sitcoms without studio audiences or laugh tracks altogether now (which is ironic, because they were the ones who forced M*A*S*H to have a laugh track against the producers' wishes bck in the 70s). Sitcoms without laughter fall flat, they seem so ghastly and awkward, and quite frankly, based on some of the promos for some of these shows, the "jokes" or "gags" are so unfunny you almost can't tell you're watching a comedy . . . matter of fact, I honestly had no idea shows like DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, GLEE, ANGIE TRIBECA, or even that godawful GIRLS were supposed to be comedies, they never came off as funny to me.

I honestly don't see how THE OFFICE became as big a hit as it was: it was such a bland and boring series anyway, but as I said, once it did become a hit, suddenly everybody had to jump on the bandwagon . . . but that always happens in TV, and has for years: once something new and different becomes a raging success, suddenly everybody has to follow suit and try to capture that magic for themselves. In the 60s it was all about the fantasy sitcoms: MISTER ED, THE ADDAMS FAMILY, THE MUNSTERS, BEWITCHED, I DREAM OF JEANNIE, et al; in the 70s, once ALL IN THE FAMILY became a groundbreaking sitcom, soon most sitcoms were trying to become really edgy social commentaries on life; in the 90s, SEINFELD became the goldstandard of sitcom tropes and idioms that are still being used today: multiple storylines per episode (though really, it was M*A*S*H that pioneered that, but SEINFELD is often credited for it), unsympathetic characters that don't learn from their mistakes, reflections of real-life scenarios, and the almost obligatory relationship humor (something people on this very forum have been complaining about on this very show).

And again, although network interference has always been a problem with shows, back in those days it was miniscule compared to today, because networks had more trust in producers and studios in those days to turn out quality - now, there's a much more corporate approach to shows, and the work and the art suffer as a result. Again, supposedly FRIENDS is to blame for that, since that was the first time any sitcom that was actually a production of the network rather than a production company actually became a big success, and since then, networks feel like they can make shows themselves and bring in who they want to rather than letting producers or creators come to them with ideas, pitches, treatments, what have you. As I said, that's one of the problems with this show: rather than having faith in actual Muppet writers and producers to come up with a new show for the Muppets, ABC brought in people from other mainstream sitcoms in an attempt to create a mainstream-esque show for the Muppets to try to appeal to mainstream audiences and achieve mainstream success. This is one of the reasons why many people don't even watch TV anymore, because networks have no clue what people want to actually watch, they're only satisfied with fulfilling their own personal agendas and put out shows they only think people want to watch . . . and networks must be stuck in a rut, because for the last 10-15 years or so, they seem to think all people want to watch on TV are shows with deviant characters who are always getting themselves into reckless, selfish, and irresponisble sexual situations. . . . and to think 60 years ago, you couldn't show anything like that on TV . . . and notice how more and more people (not just myself, though I suppose I'm more vocal about it than others) keep actually begging for more of those kinds of shows today, but we just don't get any of them because networks don't care.

Well, that's all I have to say about that. I'll get off my high horse again.
All of this I could not disagree with more. Mockumentary shows can, and have been great. I absolutely love the style.

I feel like it just doesn't work with the characters of the Muppets. At all. I want to clear that up.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Each of those shows you mentioned are audience sitcoms, not laugh track sitcoms ( though they may employ additional laughter from a laugh track for sweetneing, or maintain continuity).
There really aren't good characters anymore these days, which is one of the points I've made in the past, and this is a common complaint about TV today, is that most characters on TV today are unlikeable jerks who care nothing about what conflicts they may cause or who they may wrong . . . and that was even a complaint about this show for a while, that the characters were "too mean." The networks are even admitting right now they want another Archie Bunker on TV.

That's because sitcoms in the past were well-written: as outlandish and silly as many of them may have been, they were at least solid and had entertaining stories with engaging situations that were genuinely funny . . . writers today always go for the lowest common denominator when it comes to humor because they just want to get as many quick, cheap laughs as possible, hence why we see a lot of lowbrow, juvenile, toilet humor on TV and in movies today. In fact, TV critics often SEINFELD as being the last truly well-written show TV ever saw; I can agree with that - I've seen very little on TV since with structured storytelling and engaging characters, with the possible exception of EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND.
I want to challenge you on something. I want you to try and take all your knowledge and vision and feelings you have for modern TV shows, and completely ignore them. Then watch all 16 episodes strictly as A Mupet fan. Try and enjoy the simple fact that these characters whom you and so many others have grown to love, are back on TV for the first thing in decades. Because even if the format or the writers or even the shows runner are of the Modern TV age. This is still the Muppets, and with some very rare times they are who they have been for years.
Now if you do this will you like every show? No nut I guarantee you will have enjoyed seeing the Muppets Just like Pepe said" Just Muppet".

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I feel sorry for the ones who aren't able to say anything positive. Your life must be really sad is all I have to say and I don't mean just about The Muppets it's been the same grumpy people here who obviously will never change.

Last edited:

Lourenzo

Reaction score
Please comments like that only cause trouble. And be tolerant of other's opinions

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I've really loved this first season, and people who know me personally or at least well online for a long time know that I have not been a huge fan of a lot of stuff they've done since Jim's passing. But I thought this series was very well done from out of the gate, and I think if it gets a second season, it has a lot of potential to continue moving forward in a positive direction. I thought the season finale was excellent, lot of laughs, familiar characters we haven't seen in awhile (Marvin Suggs?? One of my favorites), old skits (Vet's Hospital and Muppet Labs, AWESOME!) I think this show had what we've been missing in the last two films: more heart, more friendship/inter-character chemistry, more growth for the characters than we've been seeing and lots of Muppet wackiness (Big Mean Carl eating Foo Foo, come on!)

I think the biggest challenges the show faces going forward is let's face it, the whole TV viewing platform is different now from the kinds of shows to people watching on DVR or on demand, to people thinking this was going to be a cutesy kids show, etc. I also think ABC/Disney has to do better with promotion of them as a show and as a franchise. I know they have Marvel, Star Wars and other stuff they own, but Muppets are important too, and if promoted/marketed the same way can bring in the kind of ratings and money they want for this. But they have to give it a fair shot. I've been very happy with this series, personally and I hope enough people agree to help make it continue

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Please comments like that only cause trouble. And be tolerant of other's opinions
No offense but this has nothing to do with differences of opinions. I've been here since 2012 and there's been a lot of issues here which is why a lot of people have left. At least most of the ones I used to talk to. I hardly come on here anymore for this reason. The members in question know who they are. I held my tounge a lot on here because I didn't wanna get banned but you know what? I could care less now! I won't lose sleep over it. I'm not saying everyone has to be hunky dory all the time on here but good grief :smile: it's the same people over, and over again. I'm so glad the ones I have managed to stay in touch with I don't need this page to talk to them on. Have a nice day.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
No offense but this has nothing to do with differences of opinions. I've been here since 2012 and there's been a lot of issues here which is why a lot of people have left. At least most of the ones I used to talk to. I hardly come on here anymore for this reason. The members in question know who they are. I held my tounge a lot on here because I didn't wanna get banned but you know what? I could care less now! I won't lose sleep over it. I'm not saying everyone has to be hunky dory all the time on here but good grief :smile: it's the same people over, and over again. I'm so glad the ones I have managed to stay in touch with I don't need this page to talk to them on. Have a nice day.
Hear hear!
I generally just post my little review for the show or post updates about things and then clear off. It's really not worth the effort arguing.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Here is the thing. I don't care about the format who writes or even directs the show. The Muppets are on TV. Witch as a fan makes me very happy. It also means that as a fan I want to see the Muppets do well in whatever they do. So every week I have watched the new show most of them two or three times a week.
I was listening to "Let's Talk Muppets" the other day and Steve Swanson was comparing this first season to season one of the Muppet Show. He brought up a lot of great points about the growing pains that shows go through. The last three shows where pure awesome and I think that if some of the nay saying fans would start with the last three shows and go backwards you will love this show.