Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I don't really know how I feel about the trailer. I don't mind the all female cast, or even how 'clean' the movie looks, which is a complaint I saw. My issue is the type of comedy. It's like it's trying to be the Scary Movie of the franchise :/

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have problems with trailers period. I don't know how many movies I vow I'd never see because of a crappy trailer only to be proven delightfully wrong by the film. I'm a fan of The matrix, but only after years of refusing to see it because the trailers were terrible. The one I loved was the first Smurfs movie. Yeah, it did kinda suck, but the trailer was hilariously full of the worst parts of the movie, all exaggerated. Well, not the random and completely unnecessary Guitar Hero ad, but everything else essentially. Considering the cast, the Bridesmaids movie trailer was made with all the humor in mind, but in reality, it was more depressing a film than wacky. I really hate how certain trailers focus on the dumbest parts of the movies or parts that are better in context. Or even my favorite, redubbing clips out of context (I always cracked up at the Emperor's New Groove trailer where Pacha slams into Kuzco when they fell off the bridge and Kuzco asnwers with an out of sync "No touchie.")

There are some key things I liked about the trailer. Ghosts possessing one of the characters, a conspiracy about someone building a device that creates paranormal activity. So much better than "haunted painting wants to kidnap a baby and we have to use the Statue of Liberty to save him." I'm hoping the story is stronger than the comedic aspect the trailers are playing up.

Yorick

Reaction score
making me want to see it even more so this film can be 10 bucks more successful to stick it to the butthurt little fanboys whining about how it stars women.
You'd be better off giving 10 bucks to some organization that helps women somehow, rather than giving it to a movie. Unless you actually want to see the film, which is a perfectly fine reason to spend your money on it, of course!

I am uninterested in it, but this is not because it stars women. It's not an anti-women thing. I don't discriminate that way - I judge only by words and actions, and nothing else.

It's because the original is so darn cool and special, and this is wrong because it looks like it's pretending the original didn't happen, which is disrespectful. Men or women, I would have the same reaction. If I am wrong about this, let me know.

And if everyone else wants to see it, have fun - but I won't be. And the producers will not be crying over my money missing from their stash :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's because the original is so darn cool and special, and this is wrong because it looks like it's pretending the original didn't happen, which is disrespectful. Men or women, I would have the same reaction. If I am wrong about this, let me know.
The trailer somehow mentions the original, but everything I've read about it seems like a different universe reboot. Honestly, I'm not thrilled with that either. Then again, the comics, cartoon, and movies all take place in different dimensions or timelines or whatever you'd call it. I can accept it that way, but I still wish this movie would have been about a bunch of scientist women buying a franchise license from the down on their luck, spry but not spry enough original Ghostbusters. Considering The Ghost Busters (the unrelated live action TV show and then the passive aggressive Filmation cartoon), there could have been some nice jokes about Famous Original Ray's Ghostbusters somewhere in there.

Now, if there's one thing we can agree on, it's that the original Ghostbusters film was a very special film. An action comedy with a real sense of soul and peril that managed to pull the goofy concept off and make an instant classic. The second one, while divisive was also good, there were things added to the mythology to make it all the richer, but honestly, they couldn't repeat exactly what was special about the first one. Some outright just don't like it. As for me, I didn't get around to seeing Ghostbusters until I was older. I knew of the movie, but my first exposure was the animated series. While GB is one of my favorite movies, the earlier exposure and accessibility of the cartoon series kinda makes me more of a fan of that. Barely. And frankly, between the first film and second, I really think the cartoon did a better job of the mythology (until ABC got their kid friendly grubby hands all over it). Even taking account the events of both films and expanding on them. And yes, I even like that the busters were still in business the whole time rather than the down on their luck, resorting to kids' parties hasbeens the second film established. Almost as if to say the writers didn't like very much the idea of the cartoon series.

As far as this film goes, in the end this thing could very well suck anyway. Look at Fantastic Four. All the controversy about Race Lifting the Human Torch (which I don't mind, though frankly I think he should have been Latino), turns out that wasn't why the film sucked. It sucked because it sucked. And there are very valid reasons to dislike the movie buried in the death threats and misogynistic extremists. The movie is very important to people, it is to me. But in the end, the only thing that's making this film look like it's taking a dump on the original is your own hang up. If this film is tarnishing the reputation of the first, ignore it. Lucas made some pretty dumb things happen with the prequels, but in the end they're not really consistent with the original trilogy, and so far Disney's films ignore them as well. With this new Ghostbusters, I'm not ultra excited to see it, "be there the opening weekend with an Imax ticket." In fact, I wasn't going to bother at first, then I'm warmed up to "try to catch it on a Bargain Tuesday matinee at a crummy theater if something better doesn't come out." I like some of the concepts of the film I can make out, I just don't think it's anything but a kid putting on his father's too big shoes. Still, I have faith in Paul Feig. Just enough to feel I'll have a maybe enjoyable 90 minutes. I try very hard not to talk down films after half the ones I complain about I end up liking. I'd rather be mildly disappointed than feel like a complete idiot.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Ya, this movie doesn't look good, it has nothing to do with the actresses, just the content they were given, not going to watch it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I like Leslie Jones on SNL and I like her in this trailer. Like her or not, she has a personality and she's more memorable than any of the others thus far. It's clear they featured her in the trailer and they knew what they were doing. My Dad loved her bit at the Oscars, and he never likes anything SNL related, lol.

And I will see this movie. I'll see it more than once if I feel like. For two reasons:

1. Reitman is producing and the original actors are cameo-ing. I would like to see them. I'm not a fan only through the good times, but through the difficult times as well.

2. I'll see this movie because I am utterly ashamed at how the fandom has reacted to it. Utterly. I had the misfortune of running into one tonite who delighted in predicting what a train wreck it would be. It wasn't the words of a fan. It was the words of a bully. I don't care if it's because of women, or a dislike of reboots, the overeaction from "fans" has been downright embarrassing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score

And if everyone else wants to see it, have fun - but I won't be. And the producers will not be crying over my money missing from their stash :smile:
The characters aren't real. The actors and writer who brought them to life are. And they are making an appearance in this film. I'll take a chance, for them. I don't see how boycotting this film is showing them any respect (no offence to you in particular).

I will see this film, more than once perhaps. The fandom's overreaction to this has been downright embarrassing (again, not singling anyone out here).

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll see this movie because I am utterly ashamed at how the fandom has reacted to it. Utterly. I had the misfortune of running into one tonite who delighted in predicting what a train wreck it would be. It wasn't the words of a fan. It was the words of a bully. I don't care if it's because of women, or a dislike of reboots, the overeaction from "fans" has been downright embarrassing.
Couldn't agree more. There are reasonable complaints about the movie sure. Even if we got the Ghostbusters 3 that Murray was dragging his feet about for years, there'd be an unhappy fanbase. That's the way things are. I certainly wouldn't expect a positive reaction even if that film was good. And I'm well aware that even if that was the case, fans would have preferred that actual third movie over this. I needn't mention TTG wasn't what the TT fans wanted either, even the ones that were supportive of the DC Nation Titans shorts.

It's just this film managed to be produced first while the other film sat in development purgatory for years. The closest thing we got to a sequel was a video game. And that was almost a DTV animated movie. I don't know if anyone wants to blame Murray for being "too good" to reprise a role that made him famous (I absolutely love the guy, but the fact he did both Garfield films but not this kinda irked me), or the misfortune of Harold Ramis passing a while back. It's a shame we didn't get the GB3 movie they were working on, but it was going to be a next generation deal anyway. And yes, fans didn't much care for that one.

But the level of crap the movie's getting by whiny fanboys is too embarrassing to laugh at. In a sea of death threats and misogyny, the valid complaints can't break through without sounding like noise. In these cases, yes, the loudest, dumbest, extreme complaints taint the whole argument. The trailer has left me mixed, certainly. It looks like it could go either way for me, but I'm loving the storyline. It's a shame we didn't get something like that for the second movie, but I can say that about perhaps any episode of the cartoon series (syndicated of course). And then again, there's also a lot of unjustified hate towards Extreme Ghostbusters when it was a far better show than it could have been or should have been. Took the original series as canon, didn't make the series too light and airy, and best of all, Slimer was a barely verbal character that didn't hog the spotlight. What's not to like about the last one?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
A fanbase is going to have a reasonable amount of hate for any project they get, this is not a reasonable amount of hate, the Youtube trailer has double the dislikes than likes, and I can't help but agree with them. Trying not to look like a whiny fanboy, but there's no reason for me to watch this movie, the humor just doesn't look good, it looks just like any poorly written Melissa Mccarthy flick, and that's not what I want to see in a new Ghostbusters film.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
A fanbase is going to have a reasonable amount of hate for any project they get, this is not a reasonable amount of hate, the Youtube trailer has double the dislikes than likes, and I can't help but agree with them. Trying not to look like a whiny fanboy, but there's no reason for me to watch this movie, the humor just doesn't look good, it looks just like any poorly written Melissa Mccarthy flick, and that's not what I want to see in a new Ghostbusters film.
I'm not sure it's my kind of humor either. But YouTube is irrelevant to me. A ton of people don't ever vote on YouTube. It appeals to a very specific demographic. I can see the humor in this film appealing to other demographics.

If there wasn't going to be cameos from the original actors, I might not be as interested in seeing this film. But those guys made my childhood pretty awesome, I can take a chance for them. :smile: