The Wander over Yonder Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
What really made the episode for me was how Hater was spending his entire on screen time mocking Wander. And it never comes off as devastatingly nasty because of how much of a ham he was. It was actually enjoyable and funny to watch him act so over the top. Plus, we all knew he was going to get it at the end. This season really establishes Hater as a man-child, making the next episode, the one about the rock concert (with shades of North Korea's girl group, unintentionally) all the better.

If there's one thing the show gets great it's the chemistry between Wander and Hater. It seems like Hater hates him too much, like overcompinsatingly so. And Sylvia and Peppers being the more grounded, down to Earth, almost keepers of the main hero and villain being the nice complimentary duo. They both really worked well here, but the best part was when Wander used Hater as a puppet... and then basically added in what he thought was psychologically wrong with Hater as part of the song.

mr3urious

Reaction score
"The Cartoon" was absolutely hysterical. Hater's cartoon was a loving parody of He-Man and a couple other Filmation shows (totally expected considering he looks a lot like Skeletor), though with a much cheaper budget such as a choppier framerate and one fight scene taking up so much of the budget that it happened off-screen. I even loved how Sylvia was drawn to look like Swift Wind from She-Ra in her civilian form and Thirty-Thirty from BraveStarr in her magical form. Hater's line about animation being really hard and demanding more respect is one that should be echoed throughout the globe.

Also have to give mention at the cartoon at the end that turned Gravity Falls into a blend of Scooby-Doo, The Jetsons, and The Flintstones (the characters looked like The Great Gazoo's species). They even got the GF voice actors to record a few lines! :smile:

And after that wave of wackiness, they fire back with "The Bot", where Wander befriends one of Dominator's robot minions as it crash-lands on the planet it was sent to destroy. Let's just say that Wesley from "The Little Guy" had it far easier. :cry:

Oh, and the episode from my last post was called "The Hole... Lotta Nothing". Whoops. :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That was one of the most dead on He-Man parodies I've ever seen. Well researched, too. Even had the same stock punching at the screen animation, as well as Skeletor's "HE-MAN?!?! NYEHHHHHHHHH!!!!" pose. Even down to the music. Peeper's theme was clearly Orko's. Even had some obviously rotoscoped looking bits. Just all and all a well done parody with hints of Bravestarr thrown in (the winking pose with Wander and Sylvia exactly). They really got the subtlety that they didn't even need. Even botching the end PSA tag with completely irrelevant Bike Safety stuff.

I'm very impressed with this episode as someone who kinda enjoys He-Man ironically. Even got Jon Hamm and Eddie Deezen to do voice work. As for it being a Wander episode, well, love that Hater manages to screw things up Pinky and the Brain style.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It was great to see Sylvia's nutty family after her suggestion to Wander if he wants to visit them instead of having to run from Dominator.
And I loved the emotional twist in that her mother wasn't angry that she left, but that she decided to return home all of a sudden, as she was collecting newspaper headlines of her and Wander's heroic efforts to save the galaxy and wasn't happy about her possibly calling it quits.

And we got to see the return of Emperor Awesome in the following episode.
Suffice to say, his attempts at wooing Dominator were an utter failure.

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH. Well, apparently Disney's not giving Wander a third season. And while at least there are more cartoons in the pipeline, I can't help but be a little annoyed by this. Gravity Falls ended because the creator ended it. That's respectable. And Disney did give new animated shows a chance, mostly. This is probably ending to clear up funds for other shows. And it is on the Disney channel that only half the country gets (Disney should have been more firm and make it a basic cable package channel). But it really feels that these things lack merchandising potential. Even the GF line was more than impossible to find. So much of animated television now falls on merchandising since there's no way to get a real ratings count if kids are just watching episodes online. Don't see why a couple plush and a figure line was out of the question. Couldn't be a worse seller than Planes.

mr3urious

Reaction score
http://crackmccraigen.tumblr.com/post/140529754374/wander-over-yonder-over

Apparently it's not because of ratings, budget, or that the higher-ups didn't like it that Wander is getting cancelled, but that they simply felt that more episodes weren't needed even though Craig had bigger plans for a 3rd season. Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Hopefully he has a chance to wrap as much up as he can after "My Fair Hatey" brought the stakes even higher. This shouldn't be a case of Invader Zim where it was cut all too short.

I love how some of the comments on the Tumblr blog are complaining that it's Gravity Falls all over again even though the creator chose to end it on a high note. And at least Disney does have more cartoons planned out. Also, their rage should be better directed at Pickle & Peanut if it were to get renewed over Wander or their other shows.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Apparently it's not because of ratings, budget, or that the higher-ups didn't like it that Wander is getting cancelled, but that they simply felt that more episodes weren't needed even though Craig had bigger plans for a 3rd season. Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
That's absolutely bull. If it's not any of the actual reasons to can a show, why can a show because someone decided it ran its course when plans are made by the creator? The only logical explanation is that they have more cartoons in the pipeline and feel the need to do that horrid episode cap crap, making them even shorter than before. I can see them rerunning this series for years, though. But at least Disney could close it out with a made for TV movie.

Still... I'm a little more p.o'd at Transformers :RID. I knew it wouldn't have lasted past next year (that's when the 5th Bayformers film would be released, and they have to clear the merchandising space for the movies to not make the same mistakes as TFA and TFPrime). But it should have got a full season order.

I love how some of the comments on the Tumblr blog are complaining that it's Gravity Falls all over again even though the creator chose to end it on a high note. And at least Disney does have more cartoons planned out. Also, their rage should be better directed at Pickle & Peanut if it were to get renewed over Wander or their other shows.
To be honest, the way the second season was going, I don't think a third season of GF would have been able to live up to the ending the series was logically going towards. I just don't see anything more epic than Weirdmageddon. There's no way to do that, and I could see fans saying "Ugh. They should have ended it at season 2."

Though I still think a series of specials in the style of "Little Gift Shop of Horrors" would be excellent. maybe even a "Return to the Falls" movie. And wouldn't you know? Now's the time TRU gets the GF toyline in. :rolleyes:

Pickle and Peanut just doesn't seem to have a fanbase. Not an older ironic one, not a juvenile one. The show is pretty much Noah Jones's Magnum Opus, as in its his least terrible cartoon. I did like "90's Bear," Shaq did a surprisingly great job as ersatz Baloo. yet the episode proved exactly what show P&P is a ripoff of. Lucas Bros. No kidding. The 90's Bear episode was the same exact format as a season 2 Pop culture based LB episode. I doubt it will get renewed, and if it does, I don't expect anything but the fire of Hades from Disney XD cartoon fans.

But I can sure take in solace that Disney isn't nixing its TV animation division. THAT would tick me off.

C to the J

Reaction score
What were they thinking? If Craig McCracken really does have plans for a third season, there's no way I'd deny him permission to keep the show going.

Wander Over Yonder is so good and so funny, it would make the people keeping Spongebob Squarepants from getting canceled think to themselves, "What have we been doing after all these years?" I can't help but think Tom Kenny enjoys voicing Commander Peepers more than he enjoys voicing Spongebob.

I'd sure like to see a comic book variation of the show, though. It worked for some other Disney shows, like Darkwing Duck.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What were they thinking? If Craig McCracken really does have plans for a third season, there's no way I'd deny him permission to keep the show going.

Wander Over Yonder is so good and so funny, it would make the people keeping Spongebob Squarepants from getting canceled think to themselves, "What have we been doing after all these years?" I can't help but think Tom Kenny enjoys voicing Commander Peepers more than he enjoys voicing Spongebob.
It's obvious they're pulling the episode cap stunt again. Disney feels they have enough episodes (a cheapness move more than anything) and that they can just quietly end the show and rerun it during the day. It's not even about ratings, just being cheap. They really should have tried to merchandise the thing and given it a bigger push. Alex Hersch at least had the foresight to say "I wanted this show to end after 2 seasons on my terms" so that if it didn't get a third season, it at least reached a satisfying ending (which it was). Wander had plans, Disney just got cheap. It at least deserves a pity half season of 13 episodes to round things out. Even a "movie" to end the series. I just hate episode caps. Same thing happened with Darkwing Duck (albeit with a lot more episodes). I really wish there was a way Craig could renegotiate with Disney and have them expand the episode count to a few more. Heck. Pull the plug on Pickle and Peanut. Give all that show's funding to Wander. Maybe there's just enough there for like 2 episodes.

Maybe if the fanbase was bigger and as vocal as the GF base we could have at least seen a T-shirt.

On the other hand, I'm at least glad they're still making cartoons and not just lame sitcoms. I'm very excited about the new Povenmire/Marsh show starring Weird Al, and at least Star's coming back. Personally I'm just as disappointed that we haven't heard word of what's going on with Penn Zero. Sounds like that's as good as cancelled too.

C to the J

Reaction score
What say we get back to commenting on the latest episodes?

The Party Poopers
The title is rather self-explanatory, butt-related puns abound. Not the first to have potty humor, though (see The Legend). In this one, Wander and Sylvia, dressed in aristocratic clothing, wait to meet the High Gnee Council for advice on stopping Dominator while the latter keeps the former from bursting with laughter.

They meet the council with straight faces, and things go well just before Rear Admiral Kiester von Derrière blows his nose(?). Sylvia is the first to laugh and Wander joins in. To their surprise, the High Gnees laugh as well. It turns out a sense a humor is a good sign of honesty. Their advise to the two: lighten up.

The Waste of Time
Looks like the show has an episode about time travel. I never knew there was a different variation of orbble juice. Without bringing up the ending, I'd like to point out something much more noteworthy:

Remember when Wander mentioned that Wander isn't his real name (The Greater Hater) and that Major Threat gave up his evil ways thanks to Tumbleweed (The Good Bad Guy)?

Turns out Wander was originally called Tumbleweed. He simply changed it after Sylvia, in some bounty hunter getup, saved him from Killbot 85 and called him a "wandering weirdo." Imagine what Hater would think if he found out.

Already, I've seen a lot of scenes from the second season trailer in completed form. Can't say the same about Wander saying "black hole" several times. Must have been cut from The Hole... Lotta Nuthin'.