Noticeable Changes to the set over the years

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I could have sworn that I posted this in this thread before, but re-reading through it, apparently I didn't (or maybe it was deleted, I don't know), but in recent years, I've developed the theory that that brick facade behind the carriage house from 1970 to 1998 with the alphabet painted on it was perhaps a brief glimpse of the exterior of a nearby alphabet factory. I mean think about it: notice how the residents of the street - particularly in the earlier years - seem to always have an abundant amount of letters (and numbers) on hand. . . . even Gordon once mentioned, "I've stepped on my 'J' many times."

cjd874

Reaction score
I could have sworn that I posted this in this thread before, but re-reading through it, apparently I didn't (or maybe it was deleted, I don't know), but in recent years, I've developed the theory that that brick facade behind the carriage house from 1970 to 1998 with the alphabet painted on it was perhaps a brief glimpse of the exterior of a nearby alphabet factory. I mean think about it: notice how the residents of the street - particularly in the earlier years - seem to always have an abundant amount of letters (and numbers) on hand. . . . even Gordon once mentioned, "I've stepped on my 'J' many times."
Interesting theory. Perhaps the factory was shut down in later years and was converted to a boarding-house for the Muppet letters and numbers. Notice how they kept popping up all over the street especially in the 1990s.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's very possible, considering it's not uncommon for urban areas to shut down large businesses and convert the buildings into residential apartments and condos - that happens all the time in my town.

Jared DiCarlo

Reaction score
I was looking through Muppet Wiki, and found this:

It seems almost a little disturing, because anyone could be hiding in that little corridor/alley back there, waiting for Big Bird so they can ambush him with a sock full of pennies. Where does it even lead to anyway?
That facade is actually a remnant of one of the Around the Corner buildings.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know which one. Prior to Season 39, that facade was made up of the old Shaftway that jetted out from Finders's Keepers and Celina's Dance Studio (while that large brickwall across from Big Bird's nest are the side walls of Furry Arms and Finders Keeper's side by side).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I've been curious about: what was with that pile of old cigar boxes and such outside the side entrance of Hooper's from 70 to 93?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Heh, I happened on the old Muppet Mindset article I had written a couple of years ago about the overhauls and facelifts the set had gone through over the years . . . little did I know as I wrote that article that a year later, the street would receive its biggest facelift yet. I probably should have waited, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since its been brought up in this thread before, this photo looking straight down a NYC gives you an idea of what that old canvas flat next to Big Bird's nest prior to Season 30 was supposed to look like:

Again, because we always saw that flat at an angle, it gives the false impression/illusion that the stret beyond Big Bird's nest went uphill, when it actually wasn't. There are some rare occasions where when looking at the right angle (such as certain shots in Elmo's remake of ABC-DEF-GHI), you can properly see how it's intended to give the illusion that the street extends much longer.

Erine81981

Reaction score
One thing I've been curious about: what was with that pile of old cigar boxes and such outside the side entrance of Hooper's from 70 to 93?
Do you have a picture of those? I didn't think those were cigar boxes but old wooden bottle cases from back in the day. They had handles. Is that what you are talking about or am I wrong?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Whatever they were, they were usually kind of unsightly.