Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

mr3urious

Reaction score
The Magic Railroad movie was crap because some executive thought the villain of the movie (and thus all tension) was too much for kids to handle. Otherwise, it would have had a decent story, or rather A story. A Story.
And what story it did have was very convoluted even for adults to follow. And it was barely focused on Thomas himself.

Though Diesel 10 was a pretty entertaining villain in his own right with how he nicknamed his claw "Pinchy". Would have liked to hear him with his original Russian accent, though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear I remember seeing Ebert and Someone Else (Richard Roper, maybe) bashing this movie in a review. But the thing that stuck out to me was they were baffled by the fact Thomas's mouth didn't move. Clearly they weren't familiar with the source material.

Of course, Thomas is much more mainstream a property now than it was back when the film was released. It was well known, but not the big thing it has been more recently. Don't think a movie's a great idea, at least a theatrical one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH! They're making another Terminator film. They really haven't learned their lessons, have they? It had 2 good movies and then they made a third one no one liked, a fourth one nooooo one liked or bought the merchandise for, and a fifth one that mostly no one liked. And yeah, a TV show that supposedly did a better job than all three of the last ones put together but got cancelled because it was on Fox and didn't have a big enough audience.

Hasta La Vista, baby and I'll Be Back really have a new meaning. As in I'll be Back because I'll never take the hint and go away.

mr3urious

Reaction score
UGH! They're making another Terminator film. They really haven't learned their lessons, have they? It had 2 good movies and then they made a third one no one liked, a fourth one nooooo one liked or bought the merchandise for, and a fifth one that mostly no one liked. And yeah, a TV show that supposedly did a better job than all three of the last ones put together but got cancelled because it was on Fox and didn't have a big enough audience.

Hasta La Vista, baby and I'll Be Back really have a new meaning. As in I'll be Back because I'll never take the hint and go away.
If Cracked is anything to go by, it's because Genisys did well enough in China that it's getting a new installment. :rolleyes:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I had a feeling that was the case, though I left it out.

Of course, if they didn't market the big twist ending of Genisys into all the trailers and promotional materials, it probably would have got a better audience reaction.

That said, I do like Ahhnold. I somehow really enjoy Jingle All the Way, and I'm actually disappointed that they never made the Governator cartoon series. If anything Genisys (still didn't see it, don't care to bother) is at least probably better for him being in it than that Salvation movie that no one liked at all. And seriously, HA HA Playmates toys. They dumped the TMNT to get the rights for that only to see the Salvation toys at Dollar Stores years later, only to come crawling back under the Nicktoons version of the show to great success. I'm sure Genisys was at least a step up from that one, and was meant to reboot the franchise. In that aspect, it's a shame that it didn't take.

Then again, if I complain about how a 6th movie will happen only because of China's box office, I'd be hypocritical as that's the only way we'll see Pacific Rim 2 if it ever gets made. It's a shame that PR is doomed to be a cult film (though cult films do get more respect over time) because audiences preferred Adam Sandler's ever creepier getting acting like a Man-child movies.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
So, the Rachet and Clank movie is coming out this April, and I have a feeling this movie only exists as way to help increase the popularity of the video game franchise. It's made by the people who made Escape from Planet Earth, or at least the people who animated it, and that was a bad cgi movie. So, this Rachet and Clank movie probably won't be good, it won't make that much money, and no one will care anyway.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
So, the Rachet and Clank movie is coming out this April, and I have a feeling this movie only exists as way to help increase the popularity of the video game franchise. It's made by the people who made Escape from Planet Earth, or at least the people who animated it, and that was a bad cgi movie. So, this Rachet and Clank movie probably won't be good, it won't make that much money, and no one will care anyway.
Animators and writers are two different things, you know. Just because a studio animated a clunker, doesn't mean the same team is behind the writing. Granted, I don't know anything about the movie, but it seems odd that the writers of the games wouldn't write for the movie. *shrug*

And uh. Why is making a moving to increase the game popularity a bad thing? :confused: Actually aren't pretty much all video game based movies just cash grabs from the fans of the actual game?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And uh. Why is making a moving to increase the game popularity a bad thing? :confused:
Because the SUPER MARIO BROS. movie tanked (even though I liked it, personally), so now everybody fears that that'll be the case of any further movies based on video games.

Though, to be fair, the original SMB game had a very miniscule and nonsensical plot anyway, I can kind of see why they'd have to expand on it to make a movie out of it. LOZ probably would have worked better as a movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Because the SUPER MARIO BROS. movie tanked (even though I liked it, personally), so now everybody fears that that'll be the case of any further movies based on video games.
And uh. Why is making a moving to increase the game popularity a bad thing? :confused: Actually aren't pretty much all video game based movies just cash grabs from the fans of the actual game?
The Tomb Raider and Resident Evil movies actually proved to be successful. A new series of Tomb Raider movies is currently in production.

The Mario movie was doomed to fail because the technology and budget for a direct adaption just didn't exist then, nor did any knowledge of the characters by anyone over the age of 15. We had those who only cared about the game's popularity making the movie, and we ended up with a cynical, barely in name only flop that cheated gamer kids out of a good Mario movie and caused Nintendo to be insanely head up their butt picky about what happens to characters. Somehow Donkey Kong Country was able to happen, but that was the last Western adaption of their characters. And like I always say pfffffttt like Pokemon and F-Zero were that great?

That was a different scene than it is today. We've had 30 solid years of mainstream video gaming programmed into today's writers and directors. Everything makes a video game reference. Whole shows are nothing but video game references to the point of them being predictable and almost tired. Every cartoon is now legally required to do a fight sequence that turns into a Street Fighter II parody, from Family Guy to TMNT. If a Mario movie was made today, it would be incredibly lovingly close because everyone knows what Mario is about now, and they'd have to field some angry gamers. Look how much crap the 80's DIC Nintendo cartoons get online.

As for Ratchet and Clank, isn't this being supervised at least by the game company and creators? They seem to be doing what cartoon shows do when they get full theatrical movies. They're keeping the original professional voice acting cast as the franchise characters, but adding in new ones so they can say "hey! We have celebrity voice actors in this movie." This sounds like it could be a pretty fun little movie, but I have to admit, I don't see it being that successful. R&C has its fans, they'll probably go see this. I want to see it even though I've never played a R&C game and will probably be a little lost going in. But the film is going to be released a week before May's huge march of large budget movies, and after The Jungle Book (though, frankly I don't see that doing too well either, but losing far more money due to the budget). it seems that it'll get lost in the shuffle, and I might have to search for a theater to even see it.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Animators and writers are two different things, you know. Just because a studio animated a clunker, doesn't mean the same team is behind the writing. Granted, I don't know anything about the movie, but it seems odd that the writers of the games wouldn't write for the movie. *shrug*

They all are indeed, but this seems to be a low-quality cgi movie combined with a video game movie.

Also, I don't see it being lost in the shuffle AS MUCH now that I see there's no legit family entertainment around unless The Jon Favreau Book is a hit. I mean, what other kids movies are there in April? None.

Last edited: