The Last Man on Earth Discussion Thread

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I absolutely love The Last Man on Earth. I've seen every episode so far and my favorite characters are Phil, Carol, and Todd.

By the way, I think I found Todd's cartoon form:

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
My aunt jokes and says I have a crush on Kristen Schaal because of how much I like this show as well as Bob's Burgers and Gravity Falls. Don't get me wrong, I love Kristen Schaal but not in that way, :big_grin:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not that I never had faith in this series, but they took a concept that could have easily tired out after a few episodes and ran with it for a full two seasons. Gimmick sitcoms tend to either do really well or get easily forgotten. Even if you have a strong enough concept, how is it going to play out beyond the scope of said concept? How can you expand upon that slow enough to fill out a series, yet have just enough pull back in case it doesn't last? It is a tricky format, which is why most sitcoms are the same.

We don't have the luxury of having a sitcom last only 2 seasons and have it come back bigger and stronger with years of syndication and cult following for these shows as of yet. The 60's was a time where they could be experimental, but the shows that are most well remembered have either been decent hits (Get Smart), or short lived and considered less than spectacular in their day (The Munsters). The 80's was also experimental, but lent itself to more flops than most. ALF was pretty much the only experimental series that was considered successful, and it was only around a few years. But successful enough it had 2 cartoon series co-current. And frankly, other than the fact Third Rock managed to somehow stay popular for 6 seasons in the 90's, no other Alien sitcom has had any of the love and audience of those two, and said alien sitcoms are constantly compared to both.

As for this show, it could have totally been just about Will Forte wandering the country every episode, and having that get old quick. But they did the smart thing in the first episode, making the series's title an Artifact title as soon as the episode was about to end. It was a huge risk on saying he wasn't the last person on Earth by the time the first episode ended, but it paid off, as did introducing other characters. If it wasn't for others to play off of, the show just wouldn't have the same feel.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I really liked the midseason premiere where we saw Mike and how he met that government conspiricy guy who was afraid to catch the virus, that whole episode was an amazing half hour of television and really shows how incredible this show really is.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
I like it, I just got cable by another cable company I got find out which number is fox.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Last Man fans rejoice

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-earth-and-brooklyn-nine-nine-renewed-by-fox/

Third season guys :smile: along with a fourth season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, great news.
Meanwhile, Boardertown looks like it got shoved to a terrible 7PM slot. While I'm mixed about the series, I know it's not going to last. It's essentially what was wrong with the first couple seasons of American Dad, only not nearly as funny. Considering one of the show runners of American Dad headed this one up, of course. I really wish that "Guide to being Single" or whatever would get the boot so Bob's Burgers could get the cushy slot between Simpsons and Family Guy. I mean, that series is getting more buzz than the other two cartoons as of late. Guide to being Single is just...overwhelmingly generic. It's like everything that's not a family sitcom or a laugh track based one. It feels like something that should have premiered on FX and got cancelled by now.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I really wish that "Guide to being Single" or whatever would get the boot so Bob's Burgers could get the cushy slot between Simpsons and Family Guy.
They announced this a while back.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/bobs-burgers/listings/

Bob's Burgers airs at 8:30pm for the rest of the season, and Cooper Barrett...

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/cooper-barretts-guide-to-surviving-life/listings/

Gets moved to the deathly 7:30pm timeslot, definetly not coming back, but I do admit I liked a couple episodes of the show, though not something I would miss much. Also really good for Brooklyn Nine-Nine to grab a renewal for a fourth season, I could never have expected it would last that long and definetly happy it made it even with the move to Tuesdays. Also nice that The Last Man on Earth gets a renewal so the writers can comfortly end this season on a cliffhangerr.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
So after finally returning from a hiatus we got two new episodes. Spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

2x13: We learn Tandy and Carol can't have a baby since Tandy is fertile.
2x14: Tandy's brother arrives and Tandy is jealous of him.

Both were pretty good episodes, but with a virus wiping out all of humanity, it's pretty sad Tandy and Mike are still fighting, but still can't wait to see what happens next.