Where are the older humans?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The description? Look what the title says: "Suki Lopez: The (Human) Face of SESAME STREET."

I'm guessing she must have a really good publicist, because it seems like just her simply being on SST is treated like a big deal, not unlike how SW actually documentary the casting call for Mando on YouTube in a "Search for the Next Sesame Star" kind of thing.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The very first human character on Sesame Street? Seriously, how do people keep forgetting about the human characters, they're in almost every single episode. What, did their minds just completely blank out as soon as they saw a real person on the screen ?!?

Actually, the whole description seems kind of lazy.

"Actress Suki Lopez plays the voice for the very first human character on Sesame Street! This season brings to life a whole new neighborhood, and with HBO on board it's bound to be a wild ride!"

What does that last sentence even mean? and "..with HBO on board it's bound to be a wild ride".

Also, this isn't a jab at Suki or anything but, this interview really makes me miss Leela even more. :cry:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What does that last sentence even mean? and "..with HBO on board it's bound to be a wild ride".
I guess because everybody keeps joking that with SST now on HBO that it will suddenly be all "adult" and such.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The very first human character on Sesame Street? Seriously, how do people keep forgetting about the human characters, they're in almost every single episode. What, did their minds just completely blank out as soon as they saw a real person on the screen ?!?

Actually, the whole description seems kind of lazy.

"Actress Suki Lopez plays the voice for the very first human character on Sesame Street! This season brings to life a whole new neighborhood, and with HBO on board it's bound to be a wild ride!"

That's internet journalism for you.

Not just this season, but it's been said by castmembers themselves that that's the main reason why you only see two or three of the humans in most episodes, because they otherwise can't afford to have all of them on set at once; whenever we do see all of them in a single episode, it's usually for a special occasion (like a season premiere/finale, or a "very special episode"), such as the Goodbye, Mr. Hooper episode, which Caroll has pointed out that even back then it was a big deal having all of the actors on that day as opposed to just two or three of them.
And considering they're cheaper now...

For me, it's not so much I miss Gordon or Bob or Maria. I miss the characters they added just the past couple seasons. They still seem to favor Alan and Chris (but moreso Chris lately). I get why they'd push the older guys out of the spotlight. Again, the adult father figure types are grandfather figures now, and other shows would have just kept recasting them with younger actors and keeping the names. But the fact Mando, who they made such a fuss over casting, isn't part of the show this season raises an eyebrow. Maybe it's because they were too cheap to get him on a regular basis this season. Hopefully he returns next year.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Bob apparently is still on the show:
Well, we knew that from one of David Gallo's interview, where he said Bob stepped onto the new set for the first time and had a look of relief on his face, which he took as a sign that he and his art department did a good job.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Suki Lopez liked my tweet:

"Suki Lopez
liked your Tweet
Mar 31:
@Suki_Lopez Don't get me wrong, I really like you as Nina,but, are Leela and Mando ever coming back to the show?!?
"

I don't know if this really means anything. Maybe it means "we'll see :wink:" or maybe it means she'll reply later. Maybe she was just being polite, I dunno.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That previous video with Suki Lopez has been corrected to say that she's now the "latest" human character on SST instead of the "first." Based on our comments, no less.

But now, get this . . . apparently Nina is a negative stereotype on SST because she works in a bike shop and a laundromat:

I'm sorry, but, how does working in a bike shop and a laundromat negatively stereotype Latinas? I mean, Luis evidently owns the bike shop, wouldn't that make him a negative stereotype for Latinos by the same logic?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
That previous video with Suki Lopez has been corrected to say that she's now the "latest" human character on SST instead of the "first." Based on our comments, no less.

But now, get this . . . apparently Nina is a negative stereotype on SST because she works in a bike shop and a laundromat:

I'm sorry, but, how does working in a bike shop and a laundromat negatively stereotype Latinas? I mean, Luis evidently owns the bike shop, wouldn't that make him a negative stereotype for Latinos by the same logic?
It's not the fact that she works at the bike shop and the laundromat, and is a babysitter. It's the fact that there's a stereotype that all Latinos are broke and have to work a bunch of jobs from a young age to make ends meet.