Is Elmo REALLY THAT scary?

MrMuppet93

Reaction score

With all of Elmo's love performed greatly and formerly b y Kevin Clash, who explains in Being Elmo documentary, many people find him scary.

Is there supposed to be dark cruel intentions for Elmo? Maybe "Satanic"?
Or is Anti-Elmo Humor just gone wild?

EDIT: Elmo does remind me of the Pillsbury Doughboy, another "tickler", and that Doughboy scared the crap out of me with his giggle when I was little, so I guess I can see where they are coming from?

But Elmo as a killer? Really?

Last edited:

MrMuppet93

Reaction score
*cricket chrips*

Hello? Anyone want to chime in?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
...did you actually watch that video or just look at the title?

The issue isnt people find elmo scary. The issue is that some parents heard one of those talking books apparently say 'who wants to die.' Does the book say that? Well...it sure sounds like it, but people hear what they want to hear, just looking to turn something wholesome into something thats not.

That's why parents were so upset. If you're talking about the bit he did at the end with the elmo doll...he was making fun of the fact people seem to keep wanting to hear elmo making death threats in the toys.

throughout the entire video, he's MAKING FUN OF THE FACT PARENTS WANT TO MAKE ELMO TOYS INTO THESE SCARY SATANIC OBJECTS.

MrMuppet93

Reaction score
...did you actually watch that video or just look at the title?

The issue isnt people find elmo scary. The issue is that some parents heard one of those talking books apparently say 'who wants to die.' Does the book say that? Well...it sure sounds like it, but people hear what they want to hear, just looking to turn something wholesome into something thats not.

That's why parents were so upset. If you're talking about the bit he did at the end with the elmo doll...he was making fun of the fact people seem to keep wanting to hear elmo making death threats in the toys.

throughout the entire video, he's MAKING FUN OF THE FACT PARENTS WANT TO MAKE ELMO TOYS INTO THESE SCARY SATANIC OBJECTS.

But after the "Subscribe" button screen, he tells that his Elmo book haunted him in the middle of the night.....

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
But after the "Subscribe" button screen, he tells that his Elmo book haunted him in the middle of the night.....
he also said it was probably his cat stepping on the buttons. He also said he bought it off ebay. god only knows what the previous owner could have done to it.

i'd be pretty freaked out too if a book started talking, even if i did just chalk it off to my cat.

again, that has nothing to do with ELMO being evil and satanic. NOWHERE in that video did he ever say, genuinely without sarcasm, that elmo was evil.

Drtooth

Reaction score

Back when me and my cousin were kids, he had some Marvel Comics character action figure that came with a backpack with a speaking mechanism (because putting the speaker in the toy was somehow unfeasible that early in the 90's) that was supposed to say "Take your best shot!" Came out more like "Kicky Boob Shot." Also had a Spider-Man electronic pinball game that said "Spider-Sense Tingling" but came out "Spider-Sense Penguin."

Now the technology for these is much clearer and cheaper to the extent they come in fast food toys that sound far clearer. Have an 8 year old Kung Fu Panda McD's figure that still works and says "Sliddoosh" clear as day. How a book that gave a muffled "Who has to go?" that sounded like nothing managed to get out is one thing. I didn't think they still made those dumb talking books back when this was a thing until actually hearing of this story. That was a late 90's thing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is just like back in the day when those nutcases insisted Teletubbies were saying things like, "F--- it, f--- it!" And, "I got a gun!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah, everyone had it in for those characters back in the day. Sure, I hated them too, but it took me years to realize some of it was tongue in cheek. The Tinky Winky stuff was actually there and put in smugly by the British production team as a gag, clearly. I have an odd appreciation for the fact that it had slight winks and nods to this being a dumb show here and there, but it was all subtext. The names clearly come out of a level of "we know full well this is stupid" to the point where it either comes off as the dumbest kid's show ever produced or maybe the most brilliant piece of satire ever conceived... or it could easily fall into both. Kids don't realize it's supposed to be condescendingly stupid and parents probably didn't catch up on the fact they're trying to make the show as purposely annoying as possible.

Though, as far as talking toys go, cheap speakers and compressed sound files make anything sound like anything, but to me, they sound like nothing. Happy Meal and Burger King Kid's meal toys shouldn't have higher and more respectable technology than a kid's book that retails for 10+ bucks.

Seriously... I can't believe they still make those things. They had a Star Wars one just last year.