D'Snowth's Scale Model of Sesame Street

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have a few Muppets: Big Bird, Oscar, Elmo, Zoe, Ernie, Bert, Cookie, and Grover. I'd really like other characters as well, such as Telly, Baby Bear, Count, Rosita, and Abby, but it's like they don't make really nice-looking collectible PVC figurines anymore, they all have this chibi-inspired look. Big Bird and Oscar came from my old Illco set that's really in a shambles (matter of fact, the lamppost on the model is modified from the Illco lamppost), Elmo came a birthday cake topping, and Grover, Bert, Ernie, and Cookie are the Tyco figurines that came out in the late 90s: I was in the process of getting others, but they went fast.

I also made crude Little People-inspired figures of Gordon, Susan, Luis, Maria, and ALan.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I have a few Muppets: Big Bird, Oscar, Elmo, Zoe, Ernie, Bert, Cookie, and Grover. I'd really like other characters as well, such as Telly, Baby Bear, Count, Rosita, and Abby, but it's like they don't make really nice-looking collectible PVC figurines anymore, they all have this chibi-inspired look. Big Bird and Oscar came from my old Illco set that's really in a shambles (matter of fact, the lamppost on the model is modified from the Illco lamppost), Elmo came a birthday cake topping, and Grover, Bert, Ernie, and Cookie are the Tyco figurines that came out in the late 90s: I was in the process of getting others, but they went fast.

I also made crude Little People-inspired figures of Gordon, Susan, Luis, Maria, and ALan.
I thought you said you have a Mumford pvc or am I crazy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think I do actually have Mumford - he's been gone from the show for so long now I tend to forget about him. :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I tried something a little different this Christmas: I reverted to the layout of Oscar's messy domain back to the early 70s setup like they did in CEOSST. Turned out interesting.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And finally, the model dressed for winter . . . or, more accurately, a snow-covered winter:

That really should do it as far as pics are concerned. Unless I add anymore noteworthy details or make anymore significant modifications, I think I'll finally lay this thread to rest.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm really, really sorry for bumping this thread again, I really am, but I really wanted to get your opinions on something.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've been watching a lot of snow time lapse videos on YouTube lately (because it's warm, I miss winter, and we didn't get a whole lot of snow this year), many of which are from NYC - particularly Manhattan. As I've been watching these videos, something that's stuck out to me is that a lot of the storefronts have lighted awning signs that look really cool. I'm thinking about doing something like this to the model, but I'm not entirely sure if it would work or not (obviously not lighted, but awning signs nonetheless).

Here's an old pic I edited to give me an idea of what it might look like if I do something like this:

So, what do you guys think? Yay or nay? Granted, they're obviously very New York in flavor, but I'm not sure they fit with the Sesame atmosphere. Any thoughts?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm really, really sorry for bumping this thread again, I really am, but I really wanted to get your opinions on something.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've been watching a lot of snow time lapse videos on YouTube lately (because it's warm, I miss winter, and we didn't get a whole lot of snow this year), many of which are from NYC - particularly Manhattan. As I've been watching these videos, something that's stuck out to me is that a lot of the storefronts have lighted awning signs that look really cool. I'm thinking about doing something like this to the model, but I'm not entirely sure if it would work or not (obviously not lighted, but awning signs nonetheless).

Here's an old pic I edited to give me an idea of what it might look like if I do something like this:

So, what do you guys think? Yay or nay? Granted, they're obviously very New York in flavor, but I'm not sure they fit with the Sesame atmosphere. Any thoughts?
I say leave it as is. It's very New York but not very Sesame Street. I think maybe part of the reason it doesn't quite work is because the signs have too many words on them. Sesame Street signs are usually simple with very few words. For example, "Fix It Shop", "Laundromat", both tell you exactly what they are without really needing a description.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I suppose you have a point, and I didn't even think of it that way. Yeah, I think I'll just leave it alone then.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Do any of the doors actually open on your Scale Model Set? And What about Oscar's can too?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No. When I very first built it fifteen years ago, the first set of construction doors around Big Bird's nest (when the model looked as it did circa 2001) could open, but not very well. Likewise, right now Oscar's can does open and close, just not very well: it's "hinged" with a tiny drop of glue on the back edge of the lid, so you can open it partially, but not all the way without it breaking off. Similar to the doors, I have often considered cutting out the window panes, covering the inside of them with clear plastic (like the kind binder dividers are made of), and actually putting together interiors, so you can actually look and see inside the buildings, but that would require me to completely gut out the buildings themselve, which may affect their foundation - not to mention I'm sure there'd be some minor, unavoidable damage to window sills and stuff from the incisions of a knife or scalpel cutting out the panes. One thing I wish I could do is 3D printing for some of the accessories I'd still like to have but can't find at any hobby store (and accessories, in general, in the right scale, are becoming harder to find): not only would I still love a couple of sets of wooden tables and chairs for the arbor (and perhaps little tricycles for under the carriage house staircase), but I'd like to replace some of the accessories I have right now, such as the mesh trashcan (which is just a thimble), fire hydrant (a marker cap, but honestly, I've never seen black fire hydrants in real life), and the postal box by the lamppost (still would like to give Big Bird his mailbox too). I did, however, recently build a new newsstand for Hooper's (it resembles the one during the ATC seasons), and a new outdoor sign for the Travel Agency, similar to the outdoor menu at Hooper's.