Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

Drtooth

Reaction score
A fanbase is going to have a reasonable amount of hate for any project they get, this is not a reasonable amount of hate, the Youtube trailer has double the dislikes than likes, and I can't help but agree with them. Trying not to look like a whiny fanboy, but there's no reason for me to watch this movie, the humor just doesn't look good, it looks just like any poorly written Melissa Mccarthy flick, and that's not what I want to see in a new Ghostbusters film.
I'm mixed about the humor myself. But then again, trailers. To be perfectly honest, I don't think we really need another Ghostbusters movie of any kind. Maybe a DTV animated one with the original surviving cartoon voice cast (which means we'd get Coulier as he's still around and Music sadly isn't). All and all, I'd agree with the opinion that the film is unnecessary, rather than this being some big controversial thing that fanboys are whining all over. Still, the plot has piqued my interest. If only they had that plotline rather than "creepy painting wants to kidnap a baby." The cartoon would have made it work, the second film seems like a lost opportunity.

For the record, I do enjoy GB2. More than most, in fact. It's one of the few comedy movie sequels that work, and it's a lot less a waste of concept than MIB2 (something I'd call a spiritual successor to GB, not that Evolution movie or its awful cartoon series). But it really seems like it was made because the cartoon series became popular between movies and they wanted to cash in off it. Same deal with MIB2 and even Secret of the Ooze (Tokka and Rahzar were good, though). The cartoons just managed to make better use of the concept. There's influence in there as well, but not the influence that made them work as kid's shows. But I used to be a little more defensive about GB2, but the years of critique have gotten to me and I agree with some of it. If anything, this new movie at least has a better sounding plot than that one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And if you're still unhappy with this film, Two more are still happening, including the animated one.

I dunno about this being the first directorial job of someone who's behind app based game commercials, but everyone has to start somewhere. I still don't like how whatever reports on the animated movie always linking it to the RGB cartoon. Just in case it isn't, you know we'll never hear the end of it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So yesterday the Tribeca Film Festival had a pre screening of a rough cut of the Ghostheads (a new documentary that focuses on the fans). But 2 hours before, turns out there was a free screening of Ghostbusters (1984). Just wanted to share some moments:

Lots of families with little kids in the audience. The most adorable moment was probably towards the end of the film when the kids starting echoing Venkman's, "Go get her, Ray!" :fanatic:

This was also the scene where I had a strange kind of epitome. Right around when the Ghostbusters first approach Gozer, and they cut to each guy separately, one at a time. For that brief moment I was in the mindset of someone seeing this movie for the first time, and getting to know these characters, what that excitement and wonder must be like. I was too young to remember the first time I saw Ghostbusters. But I will always remember that feeling now when I watch that scene. Awesome. :cool:

The version of Ghostheads we saw is still being finished, with no color correction or final score, and several title cards saying, "Add animation here." Plus they said they're still planning to add more fan interviews, as well as interviews with the original cast. But it looks very promising, a lot of the fan stories are very sweet and inspirational. I had no idea there were so many fan chapters across the country, as well as Canada and even Italy. A lot of the members showed up to the screening, in full uniform and amazingly (or disturbingly, hehe) realistic proton packs. The Q&A after the film was very insightful too, they did a good job of explaining the appeal of the films. When people dress up as super heroes like Batman, they're disguised as someone else. But being a Ghosthead means empowering yourself.

Also pretty cool, the original "King of the Ghostheads," Peter Mosen was in attendance at the screening. He's known for appearing in his own home made costume at a preview screening in 1984. And I thought Trekkies were dedicated!

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
..and that's why there's so many ticked off at the new film.

I really wish these little fan documentaries would get national releases. I'm still waiting for the documentary of the "Superman Lives" making of. That feels like we're going to be given a tour of the trainwreck. Say what you will about the DCU Superman films, but daaaaaanged if that film would've made Batman and Robin look like Gone with The Wind. Also waiting for the Roger Corman Fantastic Four documentary as well. Seems that movie, as dopey as it looks, at least had heart to it. I want to hear their story.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
..and that's why there's so many ticked off at the new film.
Em, well, actually the families in the audiences enjoyed the trailer for the new film a lot, and not just the kids. And the hard core fans there (the ones in uniform) are hoping for the best. I heard all of two reactions from the audience that sounded like a "Tsk!"

Also waiting for the Roger Corman Fantastic Four documentary as well. Seems that movie, as dopey as it looks, at least had heart to it. I want to hear their story.
The film's a glorified home movie but I agree, the behind the scenes story is rather fascinating.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The film's a glorified home movie but I agree, the behind the scenes story is rather fascinating.
While the Corman FF movie was never meant to be released and made for the very same cynical reasons the Josh Trank disaster was, it feels like it's the best FF movie ever made. Which is a shame since a low budget placeholder of a film is better written than the larger budget films in the franchise that were never that successful and certainly a lot better than the big budget place holder. The story of why that first one got made seems to be more interesting than any stories the three released ones have.

Anyway, the real reason to be excited for Ghostbuster '16. The rumors are true. Ecto Cooler is making a comeback. Unfortunately, it's a limited time offer, and Slimer isn't on any of the packaging (though a "Ghostbusters: Only in theaters" tagline is). But I'm very excited that this and supposedly Crystal Pepsi are making huge summer comebacks. Ecto-Cooler by any name is one of the best things from Hi-C, giving it a tangy, pronounced flavor better than it's watery, mild flavored "Orange Outburst" counterpart. Glad to see it in both Juice box and can form, but I'd kinda wish they also planned 2Ltr soda bottle sized releases.

I always found it funny that Ghostbusters, while not completely devoid of merchandising when it came out, didn't start their wave of marketability until the cartoon series hit. Also funny that most GB merchandise we get now is directly for fans of the film with the cartoon only getting nods here and there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I always found it funny that Ghostbusters, while not completely devoid of merchandising when it came out, didn't start their wave of marketability until the cartoon series hit.
Well they didn't know it was going to appeal to kids as much as it did.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Obviously. Considering how Gozer was summoned and all. That's not to say there was nothing. I remember there was at least the breakfast cereal coming out before the cartoon. Plus, that never stopped them from making kid's toys of Rambo. Not even the cartoon, just straight up toys from an R rated violent franchise. Not to mention how much kids loved Jason and Freddy when those were still fresh.

Not to say that the movie itself wasn't toyetic, but it really seems that's the case. Columbia and the toy companies not realizing kids would have loved this thing. And the strange thing is, that's always the opposite case. I've never seen MIB the series merchandise outside of a BK Kid's meal and a lousy video game. Beetlejuice somehow had more merchandise as a movie than a kid's show, and that's a shame since you'd think they had something considering how popular it was. Same deal as MIB, but only a trading card series added to the fast food promotion and terrible licensed game. They supposedly had a couple action figures added to the movie line but that was it. Unless you count stuff they formerly had at Universal studios.

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH. Just UGH!

Okay, apparently when the internet got it's boxers in a bunch that this was going to feature women, and when he was being bombarded by death threats the first time, Paul Feig said that geek culture is full of buttholes. And now, said internet buttholes who acted like buttholes are whining about how they're being called out on their buttholeness.

Uhhhhhhh....

Listen. There's legitimate complaints about the movie, and I get that. It's different in humor, it doesn't look as deep as the original film was (though the trailer for that one wasn't as deep either because it's a trailer), there's really no need to make this movie, I get that sort of thing. There's a polite conversation of "I don't think this is something I'd see" in there somewhere that can be seen as reasonable. But frankly, when you whine like a child and send death freaking threats, uh... well, Paul is in the right here to say that those who act terrible are indeed terrible people. And terrible people make the most noise, read 2 words into a response and act even more terrible.

So in short if you act terrible, someone calls you out on being terrible, you look even worse when you act even more terrible as a result.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So in short if you act terrible, someone calls you out on being terrible, you look even worse when you act even more terrible as a result.
I think it's time we faced it: The Internet is pure, concentrated evil. :wink: