ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I kind of have mixed feelings about this. It was disappointing to hear about the cancellation but when I read the article about the show not being family-friendly enough, I had to agree with that one. (Again, I have reported several times that I had a big issue with the Muppets singing about the 'd' word in "A Tail of Two Piggies.") At least Muppets Tonight! was a more wholesome family show.

What I didn't like so well, was that they cancelled it with a cliff hanger, leaving the question of whether :smile: and :mad: got back together up in the air. When they broke up it was all over the news. Now whether or not they did reconcile hasn't been stated anywhere we probably won't know what happened until the movie Project: Kermit comes out six years later. (Joking about this of course. If you watched ALF, you'll get that reference.)

mr3urious

Reaction score
My heart just pooped its pants right now. First Wander Over Yonder gets canned and now this. Screw the current CEO of ABC for stringing us along like this, and screw the mainstream viewership for passing this over in favor of something mediocre like NCIS or New Girl! :mad::mad::mad:

I guess our only hope is for whatever cult audience is still hanging on to demand Netflix to rescue this show. If they were able to give Arrested Development one more chance and commission a Full House sequel, why can't they do the same to the muppets.?

scooterfan360

Reaction score
How should I react to this?

I'm a little p***ed. Frankly, I'm pretty p***ed about this and their friggin' taking a General Sherman to their schedule and killing Marvel's Most Wanted in the process. I'm ticked off because of the jerkwad running the network. And I'm even more ticked off that we had to wait until freaking May for them to pull the plug like the greedy relative that just wants the inheritance. If they said "Yeah, it's over." a week after, that would have been tolerable. To have the small fandom twisting in the wind just to torture us with news they could have broke months ago. And I swear this is some pathetic attempt to appease the share holders that obviously didn't care that Zootopia, Jungle Book, and Captain America pretty much farted out a steady stream of cash. Nope. Gaming division and TV are losing small amounts of money. OH NOES! Better kill the highly profitable Disney Infinity game. Seriously. THAT should have been the sign. They were willing to chop off a limb with a rusty axe to save money easily recouped by Captain America T-shirt sales. Seriously...*^&%$ share holders.

But frankly, that's nothing compared to what we really should be upset about. The Muppets just don't have an audience. No one wanted to see MMW because reasons. The show lost viewers who wanted the carbon copy of the old series with celebrities they like (all in their 60's BTW) because everyone thinks their childhood is so freaking important that if anything where to slightly question it, it's the worstest thing of all time. Not to mention the younger viewers who just loved to snark about how terrible the ratings were before binge watching something overrated on netflix on their phones. Even the friggin Muppet fanbase didn't like the fact they took the show in a new direction. Even if we were all part of the "why in hades is this still a thing" crooked ratings system it would still have crap ratings. And frankly, I can't even be mad at Disney because they at least tried with 2 movies, 2 specials, and a TV show. Henson would still be trying to make ONE crappy special and even failing at that. Disney's synergy couldn't save a MARVEL project when the movies are making billions. Of course a low budget TV show that could survive bad ratings was burned down. And for whatever reason no one got on the show, all I can say is a hearty "&^%$ It!"

Part of me wants to be optimistic that there's a new project on the horizon, the other part of me says just dump the freaking Muppets into the same "We don't care" pit Disney Afternoon, Emperor's New Groove, and Black Cauldron are thrown in, only to be picked out for a poorly designed T-shirt. Frankly, that part of me is absolutely done with The Muppets. I kinda wish this show was never picked up and instead they chose something with Joey from Friends as the head of a Tropey house hold was picked over it and canned within 4 weeks. I retroactively hate this show and hate all the excitement I felt for it. I'm not going to put everything remotely Muppet related on e-bay or the garbage can just yet, but I think I'm over the franchise. As in franchise any project or product that will either come out to no applause or get stuck in development purgatory.

But what it boils down to is the fact the general public that still consumes media is... I hate them. I hate them all. And not just for this, but the whole imbecilic paradoxical nonsense that shapes how screwed up media is. The same people who desperately want sequels to movies they love but at the same time nothing they do appeases them. People who want shows to come back, but whine about how terrible the quality is when it does. Those who whine about how Hollywood makes nothing but big budget explosion riddled blockbusters, but were conspicuously absent from films that are freaking different and original like American Ultra and Keanu and go see something Michael Bay produced anyway. And...blah blah blah something about how fickle and spoiled the PPG fanbase is because the new series wasn't pulled directly from the butt of Craig McCracken. What we have here is an audience that got turned off that The Muppets didn't just play their greatest hits, yet if they did, the same exact audience would get bored, say "it's just not the same" no matter how the same it is and go to either A) a stale to the point of petrified 14 year old anti-terrorist propaganda piece made specifically for old people to have a freaking Nightlight on or B) phone or internet crap depending on the age bracket.

This is another loss for us, and frankly, I'm starting to not care. There is one thing Disney can do with the Muppets left, and the time for that has come. We're going to have to go "Muppet Babies."
you know what , the suites at Disney don't care about what their viewers think, all they care about is how much cash, that a franchise brings in. and if that franchise isn't bringing any money, then they drop it like a husband who leaves his wife for a younger woman.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
you know what , the suites at Disney don't care about what their viewers think, all they care about is how much cash, that a franchise brings in. and if that franchise isn't bringing any money, then they drop it like a husband who leaves his wife for a younger woman.
I agree with you on this. Unfortunately, now that Disney owns the Marvel and Star wars franchises as well, Muppets is very low on their priority list. Sad but true. Plus their classic characters are getting a new life with the show Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. My 2 year old god daughter LOVES Minnie Mouse and Daisy, etc. so Disney is going to focus on that, unfortunately for us.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
I agree with you on this. Unfortunately, now that Disney owns the Marvel and Star wars franchises as well, Muppets is very low on their priority list. Sad but true. Plus their classic characters are getting a new life with the show Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. My 2 year old god daughter LOVES Minnie Mouse and Daisy, etc. so Disney is going to focus on that, unfortunately for us.
what ticked me off, is that they made us wait until the twelfth of this month, for nothing.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
I'm still not over the fact, that they canceled v. I really wanted to see, what happened to Anna's eggs.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Well I knew that show wouldn't last forever!

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
ABC and Disney, this is one of the biggest mistakes you've made in the last decade. This show had a lot of heart and a great design. This show was amazing! Why did you have to cut it so short? One season?! One season?! Really? They haven't been on TV with a show of their own since 1998! Almost 20 years!! These people wanted to see The Muppets on TV again. We all did! And all you give them was one measly season? Disney, you've ruined The Muppets franchise. Let's face the music here. Disney's ruined The Muppets. Only giving them one season?! Nowadays, all Disney is focused on are their live action movies, Star Wars, and Marvel. Anything wrong with this picture? If you're a Muppets fan, everything's wrong with this picture. In conclusion, Disney and ABC really don't care about The Muppets. If you don't care about them, why would you buy them in the first place?!
I rest my case.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I'm just trying to remind myself that there are still Muppet appearances to be made.

• Steve and Eric in New York.
  • Pepe just appeared on The View.
  • Animal just went to that Disney thing.
  • The Electric Mayhem doing that Outside lands thingy.
It's not over. It's not over. It's NOT OVER!

SpookyMania

Reaction score
I was really holding out hope that The Muppets would return for another season, but alas. This really has got to be the dumbest move ABC could've made. The show had gotten so good and it never got a chance to relish in the quality it amassed toward the end of its life. Sorry, Muppets.
Hopefully they'll at least release this season on DVD, though it's not likely. And they had better continue with the viral videos, because I think those have been some of the strongest things the Muppets have done in a while.