ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not going to tear down a film like Angry Birds because the potential MMW audience probably wanted to wait until streaming or got blockbuster kid's movie fatigue from the dual successes of Frozen and Lego, not to mention Peabody and Sherman coming out earlier that month. By all means, it was a dumb movie, but dumb in the special harmless goofy laugh sort of way. I don't need every animated movie I see to be a Cerebus Rollercoaster. But on that note, it seems that with the overabundance of CGI films, the audience is far more picky than it was years ago. Legends of Oz came and went in a two week period of a pathetic opening and an even more pathetic attempt on The View to get an audience the following Monday. While somehow Nut Job was considered successful, that was due to a low budget. And even little kids hated Norm of the North.

But the issue isn't so much "everyone's going to be tired of CGI and want to see a film with practical puppet effects and characters" so much as no one's really seeing comedies anymore because they aren't blockbusters. Keanu should have been a more successful film due to Key and Peel being Key and Peel. But everyone either waited for Civil War or went to see Jungle Book again. Things that don't look awesome in 3-D can wait to hit streaming and phones, and that's hurting the smaller budget films like MMW. I'd say that was one of the many factors the fair weather casual fans who looooooved The Muppets skipped that one instead of piling into the theaters for the next installment.

That said, if we're talking about a television audience, that's the mixed bag. I can see a certain level of "I only watch sophisticated things on cable and Netflix and CW's super hero programs" that didn't quite like how the show wasn't warm and full of feels but were too turned off to catch those episodes where they had said feels. Then there's the lowest common denominator that wasn't up to rethinking characters they stopped caring about when they it 12 only to kinda like them again. The kind happy enough to keep Survivor still on the bleeding air. Then there's the fact that only a handful of Neilsen families even bother to watch TV anymore and everyone's just going off of DVR's and/or streaming both legal and illegally. I've never felt the climate of television was right for Muppets on a mainstream primetime program for years. They had a gamble to make it fit, and somehow that's the one thing they thought was cynical. And I'm sure a good number of them are on pins and needles for the next "Biggest Loser" to laugh at the fatties in it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here is the full article for your convenience:

In a blog post on its official site, Netflix revealed the seeds it planted back in 2012 will finally come to fruition later this year. Starting in September, the contract between the streaming platform and Disney will go into effect, with Netflix holding the exclusive U.S. rights to Disney’s films. This includes not just films under the Disney brand, but also its Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Pixar subsidiaries.

The deal kicking in means that other platforms like Amazon Prime and Starz, which currently licenses multiple Disney titles, will no longer carry Disney’s new releases. Audiences will still be able to stream previous Disney umbrella releases, but moving forward, all future releases from Captain America: Civil War onward will only be able to be viewed on Netflix. Same for films under Disney’s other subsidiaries, such as Zootopia, Alice Through the Looking Glass, and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. It was a seemingly a karmic twist of fate that happened when the initial deal was signed: Though Netflix’s previous contract with Starz expired in 2012 when negotiations fell apart, it struck the deal with Disney shortly thereafter.

The Netflix-Disney deal was the first time a major studio chose to eschew a cable service for its releases in favor of going directly to online streaming for pay distribution post-release. The deal was estimated to have cost Netflix about $300 million in total, hefty sum. But Netflix and Disney have gotten more than cozy in the past year, with Netflix’s original properties centering around two Marvel series in Daredevil and Jessica Jones, with a Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Punisher series on the way, along with a Defenders ensemble movie.

So far, it’s a partnership that has worked out advantageously for both parties. While Netflix famously does not disclose its viewing figures, San Diego-based Luth Research conducted an independent study last year and determined an estimated 10.7% of Netflix’s subscribers streamed Daredevil, far more than Netflix’s other popular original properties in House of Cards and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Earlier this year, NBCUniversal and independent research firm Symphony partnered on a study that focused on SVOD and estimated that the adapted ratings for Jessica Jones averaged 4.8 million viewers per episode in the all-important 18-49 demographic. To put that into perspective, that’s a higher per-episode average than Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which airs during primetime on ABC, a major network. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. averaged 3.4 million viewers an episode in its third season.

With Netflix now owning the exclusive rights to stream all new Disney releases, it appears the base of power is slowly transferring from Disney subsidiary network ABC to the streaming platform.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The audience on @Midnight seemed broken up about the fact the show was cancelled when Fozzie was on last night.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Disney cares a lot more about the Muppets than anyone cares to think. If they truly wouldn't care, I don't think we'd have seen the comic book let alone one movie, let alone 2 movies, let alone 2 movies and a TV show. Heck, had ABC responded really negatively to the ratings, it would have gone the way of that...that thing...that thing that aired at 10 PM. Vice City, something like that...Dirty City. Had the word "City" in the title? Anyone? Lasted a whole 2 weeks and disappeared? Then it was replaced by a Shark Tank Spinoff until mid-season when it was replaced by some very expensive myth-y looking thing that was pulled after 4 episodes and replaced yet again by said Shark Tank spinoff. The could have very well only had the 10 episodes. It's not Disney's fault there wasn't an audience. It's their fault for cow towing to the shareholders who weren't happy enough Jungle Book didn't bomb. I mean, it was a good movie, I really enjoyed it, but there's a good chance it could have been an expensive flop. But danged if Disney didn't try to keep the Muppets about. They even restocked '11 movie merchandise back in stores just before the announcement. If Disney really didn't care, we wouldn't have the Muppet Courtyard or the rumored Rizzo's Pizza. it probably would have permanently mothballed them after MMW wasn't a hacky tween lit film.

I severely doubt any other studio would care enough to touch a Muppet movie. Tetris somehow screamed "this needs to be a movie." Those studios would rather make that a movie than anything with Muppets in it. Consider ourselves lucky.
If they cared they would have fought harder to have more then one season of the new Muppets Show on "DISNEY's OWNED ABC" and they would give us at least a Trilogy of Disney Muppet Movies. One thing I brought up on a Star Wars forum I attend Is what about a Star Wars/Muppets Spin Off Film?

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Just recently, with all of the CGI films coming out based off the most stupidest things ever, that have been successful nonetheless, has got me really thinking if there will ever be another muppet film. This started with I think Wreck-it-Ralph, which was a video game film that was actually good. Unfortunately, this caused lots of producers to think that video game movies will now always be good, which obviously, usually they aren't. The Angry Birds Movie was pretty mediocre, as I actually went to see it. But upcoming CGI films sound ridiculous. Again, following the trend of app games that don't even have that much of a plot that are getting made into movies, is The Fruit Ninja Movie. I'm pretty sure that doesn't even have a plot at all, it's just slashing fruit. Even worse, there is The Emoji Movie coming next year. A movie literally based on smiley faces that you can put in texts on your phone. And yet, aside from the critics, most of the general public is treating it like the greatest movie to ever grace the earth. I see kids going round town screaming jokes from the Angry Birds one, and parents laughing soon after.
Is the world really going to care about puppets overall in 10 years? There really is a chance of that happening now I think.
Pixar and Disney Toon Studios are a cut above the rest, I loved Zootopia, Big Hero Six, And Wreck It Ralph, and Inside out and The Good Dinosaur were two totally different but Beautiful films my entire family cried at the end of both films, both films were emotional films with heart and that is what is different about Pixar and Disney Toon Studios vs The rest!!! the Guy that does the NBC Morning show segment about movies said He saw a half hour of Finding Dory and he doesn't know how they keep doing it but Pixar has another Classic Gem on there hands. Although I agree that Digital films might have hurt movies Like the Muppets but I Love Pixar and Disney Toon Studios !!!! and to be technical Pixar was the First studio to put out a Digital Film with Toy Story:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
If they cared they would have fought harder to have more then one season of the new Muppets Show on "DISNEY's OWNED ABC" and they would give us at least a Trilogy of Disney Muppet Movies. One thing I brought up on a Star Wars forum I attend Is what about a Star Wars/Muppets Spin Off Film?

Again...

They also killed Agent Carter and Marvels Most Wanted, the latter prior to it even being a show. It was pretty much all but picked up, they had the backdoor pilot ending in an episode of SHIELD. It was pretty much guaranteed to be developed for next season. They also killed Disney Infinity, an award winning profitable game because they shut down the rest of the not that profitable gaming division. If Disney can't save Marvel TV shows when their movies are making hand over fist, and at least 3 of them have pasted the Billion club, including Captain America, and if they can't save at least the biggest game they've released in years that has a huge following, that goes to show they couldn't play favorites.

Had it been a case of them just canning that show and a few other expensive flops, then maybe I'd see the "they don't care" complaint. But this was a wide swath of cuts. Personally, I don't see why they don't just sell half the ESPN channels that no one watches anyway since that was one of the major contributing factors. This was very last minute and had they made their decision before the earnings report came in, no doubt it would have been renewed at least in a probationary basis. It's not a case of Disney not caring about The Muppets so much as it's a case of Disney caring about the shareholders a lot more. Heck, seems to me Disney cares more about the Muppets than the audience did.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Again...

They also killed Agent Carter and Marvels Most Wanted, the latter prior to it even being a show. It was pretty much all but picked up, they had the backdoor pilot ending in an episode of SHIELD. It was pretty much guaranteed to be developed for next season. They also killed Disney Infinity, an award winning profitable game because they shut down the rest of the not that profitable gaming division. If Disney can't save Marvel TV shows when their movies are making hand over fist, and at least 3 of them have pasted the Billion club, including Captain America, and if they can't save at least the biggest game they've released in years that has a huge following, that goes to show they couldn't play favorites.

Had it been a case of them just canning that show and a few other expensive flops, then maybe I'd see the "they don't care" complaint. But this was a wide swath of cuts. Personally, I don't see why they don't just sell half the ESPN channels that no one watches anyway since that was one of the major contributing factors. This was very last minute and had they made their decision before the earnings report came in, no doubt it would have been renewed at least in a probationary basis. It's not a case of Disney not caring about The Muppets so much as it's a case of Disney caring about the shareholders a lot more. Heck, seems to me Disney cares more about the Muppets than the audience did.
you bring Up some good Points, I loved Agent Carter and even though it had bad ratings you could make a case because of the success of Marvel Films they could have given Agent Carter 1 more season but they did not play favorites. On a side note a little off topic, I know but I really liked Captain America Civil War and I plan to see the new X-Men Movie despite It's bad reviews I love The X-Men !!!!!

but the playing favorites thing only comes into play with A TV Show, Movies don't have Ratings, they have Box Office and a Billion Dollar Organization Like Disney can eat the Loss from Bad Box Office, I really think a third movie, A Trilogy Is What Is Needed !!!!

this Netflix Deal has me Excited The Possibilities are endless!!!!! Netflix has made Theatrical films In recent past, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2 for instance?

Last edited:

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
you bring Up some good Points, I loved Agent Carter and even though it had bad ratings you could make a case because of the success of Marvel Films they could have given Agent Carter 1 more season but they did not play favorites. On a side note a little off topic, I know but I really liked Captain America Civil War and I plan to see the new X-Men Movie despite It's bad reviews I love The X-Men !!!!!

but the playing favorites thing only comes into play with A TV Show, Movies don't have Ratings, they have Box Office and a Billion Dollar Organization Like Disney can eat the Loss from Bad Box Office, I really think a third movie, A Trilogy Is What Is Needed !!!!

this Netflix Deal has me Excited The Possibilities are endless!!!!! Netflix has made Theatrical films In recent past, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2 for instance?
one thing I was thinking If Netflix showed the Muppets TV Show from this previous incarnation that got canned after only 1 season, Studios track that kind of thing, they track all streaming content even Cable ON-DEMAND if enough people stream it ABC could re order more episodes or better yet a Netflix exclusive that would only air on Netflix! I have Netflix so I think that would be cool! And I would encourage you all to keep writing the ABC network and Disney, and now I would encourage you all to write Netflix as well, I was part of the letter writing campaign that brought back Futurama and that kept the Original voice cast of Futurama intact, I even got a personal form letter from Matt Groening and David X Cohen, it is hanging on my wall of my bedroom, I also wrote Disney and Lucasfilm a bunch of times and asked for more Indiana Jones movies and by god we are getting a new movie, I also put in a good word for Willow with Warwick Davis !!!