New Feature: Change Username

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've often considered changing my name to "Snowthy" since more people here call me that than anything, or perhaps "JScarbrough," or something like that but, I've been "D'Snowth" for so long, and considering it's what everybody here knows and recognizes me as, I think I might as well just stick with it.

Ironically, IIRC, I don't believe "D'Snowth" was even my original handle here when I first joined.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Honestly its mostly the Sgt that annoys me, since at the time I made it I didnt know how to spell 'Sergeant' and it never occurred to me to look it up.

That and Floyd is very very rarely ever referred to as 'Sergeant' anyway

DePingPong

Reaction score
This is a rad new feature.

Considering changing my name on here as sonicruler100 was something I used years ago, might change to the name I use on everything now.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I don't want to be negative, BUT, I don't see good things with this feature.

We wont know who is who and it is a spammer's delight. If members want change, why not just change their avatar. In real life, we are born with a name, and most see it through their life time.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score

We wont know who is who and it is a spammer's delight. If members want change, why not just change their avatar. In real life, we are born with a name, and most see it through their life time.
Well, you can only change it three times, and there's a 30 day wait period before you can change it again. And you can go to a person's profile to see their past usernames. It would be pretty impossible for this feature to be abused.

However, I could be biased as I am one of those people on skype that you hate because they change their name every single day :stick_out_tongue:

Old Thunder

Reaction score
So, just making sure I have this right, you can only change your username three times, no matter if there's been a long time between changes?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks for expressing your concern. We share it. We've tried to find a good balance so that people who legitimately need to change their username have an easy way to do so without abusing the privilege. In the past two days, we've had only six name changes out of thousands so the system appears to be working so far.

Sometimes people sign up for an account with their Facebook profile not realizing that their full real name may be visible. Sometimes folks want to make a capitalization change or add a space in between two words in their name. Sometimes it's a complete change. These requests are not the majority, but they do come from a significant number of people.

As I said in the first post, we'll continue to tweak the restrictions as needed moving forward in case abuse occurs. Thankfully so far this has not been an issue.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, just making sure I have this right, you can only change your username three times, no matter if there's been a long time between changes?
Correct, you've got it. We've tried to find a nice balance so that users could change their name a few times if desired. Ideally you find a username you like and stick with it long-term.