Sesame Street Episode 847 with Margaret Hamilton

gravy

Reaction score
I'm sure many of you heard of Sesame Street: Episode 847, right?

If you haven't, look it up.

I was looking around the internet in search of any other photographic evidence other than the one above for episode 847. I'm surprised NOBODY interviewed any cast members or behind-the-scenes workers for what happened to it. It's such a mystery, and yet nobody asks about it. I mean- it's just so silly! And nobody on the internet bothered to say if they saw the episode once. There is absolutely NOTHING on the internet giving more information about the episode.
I will be going to see the CTW archives very soon, and hopefully I can find something about it- for example, an angry letter's parent, or a screenshot of the episode, or even kids watching the episode itself on the TV!

Nobody seems to bother that what happened to this episode is a question that could last forever if nobody speaks. WE NEED TO FIND MORE INFORMATION!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Well, I doubt anything bad happened to the tapes for the episode. Remember there are hundreds and hundreds of episodes that we have very little information on and the public hasn't seen since the 70s and 80s. Just like those, i'm sure this one is safe and sound in Sesame Workshop's vault. The only difference with this one is there's just more public interest in it because it had Margaret Hamilton in it as her character from The Wizard of Oz and because they stopped airing it due to concerns it might scare children.
But like I said, there are loads of episodes that have yet to resurface and i'm sure SW still has them all in their archives.

gravy

Reaction score
Just like those, i'm sure this one is safe and sound in Sesame Workshop's vault.
But like I said, there are loads of episodes that have yet to resurface and i'm sure SW still has them all in their archives.
1. Yes, there is a chance SW has the tape somewhere safe, but some think it could have been destroyed in fear of it airing again.
2. Hey, the 50th anniversary is in 3 years... They might reveal some more info on the episode at that time.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
1. Yes, there is a chance SW has the tape somewhere safe, but some think it could have been destroyed in fear of it airing again.
But that's all just pure speculation from people who never even worked on Sesame Street.

gravy

Reaction score
But that's all just pure speculation from people who never even worked on Sesame Street.
You have a point. We just have to wait until someone who DID work at sesame street admits something.

gravy

Reaction score
Hey maybe we'll even get to see that unaired divorce episode too.
Hm, maybe! Except they've recently done a few videos about divorce. Nevertheless, the episode could be interesting.

ELMOYQUENOCHE

Reaction score
Everybody has been waiting to see 847, even me. I'm certain Sesame Workshop still has it. I wonder what were the sponsors of 847, but I'm pretty sure that the number sponsor was a number between seven and ten.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
What if they can't show it now because of an issue with MGM (who produced the 1939 Wizard of Oz Movie) or Margret Hamilton's estate / family relating to the episode? Copyright issues or royalty fees. Pretty sure when they aired and showed clips of R2 and C3PO Lucasfilm may have gotten some sort of payment out of it at the time.
Or maybe SW is just not proud of the episode and doesn't want people to see it again for whatever reason.

gravy

Reaction score
Or maybe SW is just not proud of the episode and doesn't want people to see it again for whatever reason.
The reason they banned it was because it scared kids too much because of the witch's behavior and there were angry parent letters.