Your Thoughts: The Street We Live On

What did you think of "The Street We Live On" special?

• I thought it was good

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • I was very disappointed

Votes: 52 57.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't remember 10 Flowers or 10 Turtles being shown in the original "uncut" version - I may need to look again.

And yes, I'm among those who taped it when it aired.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
This is really on the Lost Media Wiki? Why? For Christ's sake, even I, at 10 years old or so remember watching it live. Surely tons of people taped this, right?

http://lostmedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sesame_Street:_The_Street_We_Live_On_(Original_Uncut_Version)
I remember it too, and I was five. Plenty of people remember it. I don't think this should be on the wiki. I mean sure the DVD altered a few minor things, but all of those things can easily be found elsewhere.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I remember it too, and I was five. Plenty of people remember it. I don't think this should be on the wiki. I mean sure the DVD altered a few minor things, but all of those things can easily be found elsewhere.
Well I think it should be mentioned on the wiki cause there have been other DVDs or VHS tapes that were edited when they were released. Look at The Sesame Street Special (Put Down The Duckie) there's a scene with Oscar and Kermit that isn't in the VHS or DVD version. To me it wouldn't have been out of place if it had been in the VHS release. But that's me. I to have the 35th Special recorded and I remember both 10 Flowers and 10 Turtles being in there.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Doing some more research...

• Although Mr. Hooper, Miles' adoption, Maria and Luis' wedding, and Gabi's birth are all touted as events that occurred before Elmo was born, they in fact occurred long after the character was introduced. Elmo, in fact, can be seen in the clip of Maria and Luis' wedding, yet acts like he isn't even there.
LOL.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Ah yes, that whole 'Sesame Street before Elmo was born' thing has bothered SST fans for a very long time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I give this special credit for trying, and in the end it's actually the last anniversary special (unless you count "What's the Name of that Song" which was released concurrently). I'm very disappointed the 40th special was a prime time showing of the first episode of that season (which never happened at least in my area) and season 45 had absolutely nothing.

Giving it some time perspective, the special was brilliant at least in encapsulating the history of Sesame Street as it related to its then current, more Elmo-centric incarnation. Presenting it as an Elmo's World was genius, no matter what the old schoolers say.

That said, was it the special to end the series of anniversary specials on?

That's the fault of the last 2 anniversary years not gaining specials, not that special's fault for existing. While "What's the Name of that Song" is a far superior special, presented as something that's a regular Sesame Street episode was basically the best they were going to get as a televised special. I kinda want to blame PBS for this sort of thing (I don't want to go on the "PBS pledge month is all self help infomercials and bad retro music programs" rant again).

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Giving it some time perspective, the special was brilliant at least in encapsulating the history of Sesame Street as it related to its then current, more Elmo-centric incarnation. Presenting it as an Elmo's World was genius, no matter what the old schoolers say.
Exactly! Reading this thread I was very surprised to see how many people disliked it because it was so Elmo centric. But that was the era the show was in at that time, and really it's arguably the best Elmo's World thing the show ever did. That's what SST's anniversary specials do, they look back at the show's history from the point of view of whatever era they were in. They all show how far the show has come and where they are right now. All of the anniversary specials have been a clear product of their time. 'A Walking Tour on Sesame Street' felt very much like an episode of the show from 1979. '20 Years and Still Counting' was basically a bunch of different street stories from the late 80s put into one episode. etc etc.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm very disappointed the 40th special was a prime time showing of the first episode of that season (which never happened at least in my area) and season 45 had absolutely nothing.
That never happened in my area either, I didn't even know that happened at all!

I'll give Season 40 this: there was hype surrounding the anniversary: the talk show appearances, the special retrospective showcases on the news show circuits, reality show episode dedications, and certainly the whole internet was buzzing about it - I still recall way back then saying that if Season 40 got that much hype, imagine what will happen in 2019 for Season 50? 45 on the other hand . . . did that get any recognition at all?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly! Reading this thread I was very surprised to see how many people disliked it because it was so Elmo centric. But that was the era the show was in at that time, and really it's arguably the best Elmo's World thing the show ever did. That's what SST's anniversary specials do, they look back at the show's history from the point of view of whatever era they were in.
I usually go on rants about how Sesame Street fans always feel so butthurt that the show isn't exactly the same as it was when they were a kid, grew out of it, hated on it because they were "cool," and then somehow jumped back into for nostalgia sake. They'll always whine that some specific sketch isn't on the show anymore even though there are least 4 or 5 uploads on Youtube that can easily be searched at convenience. Because somehow it's more special to sift through an entire episode for one skit in between some film about kids and an Elmo song.

HOWEVER... this was 10 years ago. While there were clips online, they had to be extensively searched out from fan site to fan site and were of the download instead of streaming type. Need I mention the trainwreck of RealPlayer? This was a time where fans would blow 10+ bucks on a 30 minute VHS because it had one or two rare sketches on it. I certainly did, and lucked out that most of the rest of the video was some prime Oscar and Telly stuff. Heck... tape trading. That's barely a thing now unless someone wants full, rare old episodes that haven't resurfaced on Youtube. So, yeah... I can see why a good chunk of the audience for this special was a little ticked off when they heard about it and tuned in. They did get the Baker 10 film and a couple others, but most of it was just very much more of Elmo looking back at a couple things with a nugget of Mythology gag or reference here and there. The Old School DVD sets were years away, Youtube wasn't a thing until then either. There wasn't the rumblings of Sesame Street creating its own streaming site for a while either.

So basically those who stopped watching the show who tuned in nostalgically...I hate to admit they had a point about being ticked off with this special, but that is the case. Still, it's a point I don't agree with.

I'll give Season 40 this: there was hype surrounding the anniversary: the talk show appearances, the special retrospective showcases on the news show circuits, reality show episode dedications, and certainly the whole internet was buzzing about it - I still recall way back then saying that if Season 40 got that much hype, imagine what will happen in 2019 for Season 50? 45 on the other hand . . . did that get any recognition at all?

I never saw why 35 was a thing and 45 was... so blaze. Not so much as a line of retro products or a book or something. While I still think it sucks we didn't get a proper 40th special, at least things surrounded it like you said. Were they no longer going by 5's? Were they waiting for the big 50?

Oh...and one more thing...

This is really on the Lost Media Wiki? Why? For Christ's sake, even I, at 10 years old or so remember watching it live. Surely tons of people taped this, right?

http://lostmedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sesame_Street:_The_Street_We_Live_On_(Original_Uncut_Version)
Whatever you do, never go to that lost media wiki. It's been abandoned and completely taken over by Scratch Wiki wannabes that make their terrible fan fiction outlines and obsession over placing two closing show logos together come true. The preferred site is actually http://lostmediawiki.com