ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I've said this before and I'll say it again: THEATRICAL SHORTS. Either like run of some of the web stuff before a Disney flick or make a new one. Yeah, it won't save the franchise or anything, but I don't know why they haven't been doing that.
I've been saying that for some time. A Pigs in Space short would be the perfect accompaniment for the next Star Wars movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, release the rest of the viral videos they shot a year ago. They won two Webby awards for them; you'd think they'd realize this is a successful method of making Muppet content.
That's the thing that completely baffles me about all of this. Now, I understand that you can't have the puppeteers working 24/7 on all the things they do. They're people, they need to take breaks and they need to recharge in between projects. I get it.

What I don't get is how the internet content is ignored (especially in the case where they already did them), especially when that's where they do the most business. It's a sad state that Clickbait passed around on Facebook gets more attention than a TV series and 2 movies combined, but if that's the case, work it! While the first movie was only a modest success, the non-stop barrage of parody movie trailers probably brought in more excitement and views. And they didn't even need to get the puppeteers to do anything.

Now, if there's one thing I have a massive beef of with Disney's handling of the Muppets it's this. The long buildup of nothing, then the sudden burst of oversaturation, followed by a huge build up of nothing, then a burst of too much. A general, steady stream of consistent Muppets probably would have been a lot better in keeping the characters in the public eye than months of nothing then too many appearances (QVC? Really?). And the best place for that is a weekly or biweekly little Muppet skit online. They HAVE stuff, they HAVE footage that they're sitting on. They can use all this stuff without having to fly performers around. Cut up TV shows into Minisodes. Dig up the Pigs in Space cartoons from Little Muppet Monsters. SOMETHING! And that'll work a lot better than a TV show no one wants to tune into or a movie that everyone avoids because it's a sequel, and we have to be disproportionately snobby to movie sequels.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What I don't get is how the internet content is ignored (especially in the case where they already did them), especially when that's where they do the most business.
As I've said many times before, not everybody has internet. People in rural areas, older people, or people who just simply can't afford home internet. Not only that, but speaking from experience, people are very picky-choosy about what they like on the internet, and it seems to me that it's the more "trendy" stuff that people tend to flock to on the internet in terms of entertainment: Top 10s, Let's Plays, movie reviews, unboxing, those sort of things. Not much room for originality, but certain channels out there that do get considerable amount of attention from people do so because they paid Google to put them out there and promote the heck out of them (while Google, in turn, makes a percentage off their revenue).

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
As I've said many times before, not everybody has internet. People in rural areas, older people, or people who just simply can't afford home internet. Not only that, but speaking from experience, people are very picky-choosy about what they like on the internet, and it seems to me that it's the more "trendy" stuff that people tend to flock to on the internet in terms of entertainment: Top 10s, Let's Plays, movie reviews, unboxing, those sort of things. Not much room for originality, but certain channels out there that do get considerable amount of attention from people do so because they paid Google to put them out there and promote the heck out of them (while Google, in turn, makes a percentage off their revenue).
Not everybody has TV either. People are picky about what they watch on TV. I don't see your point. The videos on the Muppets' channel has thousands of views, there wouldn't be anything wrong with making more videos.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
More people have and/or watch TV than have internet though.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Found an interesting article about the whole Streaming vs Pay-TV thing from 2015.

http://variety.com/2015/digital/new...onsumer-viewing-preferences-study-1201477318/

I think Snowth is right that in some regions and depending on age, many people still rely on Pay Tv, (Cable and Satellite) televisions. But also now we have those streaming sticks and set top blu rays that can also hook into netflix and the like. The line is a lot blurrier than we think.

EITHER route a new show would be broadcast in would leave some people out in the cold. and honestly the Streaming vs Pay TV could be it's own thread because that is an interesting trend.

anyway.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
you know what, I don't think that there are going to be anymore Muppet projects for awhile, due to the fact that two of the muppeteers, are coping with major losses.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
you know what, I don't think that there are going to be anymore Muppet projects for awhile, due to the fact that two of the muppeteers, are coping with major losses.
The Muppets always keep going, even when Jim Henson, who was the boss, creator, main visionary and the overall heart and soul of the group died, the Muppets still kept going. So I don't think that would be an issue. I don't exactly think Tyler Bunch or Peter Linz will be in a state of grief forever, they still have families to take care of. I'm sure it won't be too long before they're back to working, they love their jobs and their fans too much for that.

Plus, Peter and Tyler don't really have any consistent main characters, they're mostly just handers and background characters, so while they are valuable to the team, there are also dozens of other Muppeteers who can do the same job.

Last edited:

scooterfan360

Reaction score
The Muppets always keep going, even when Jim Henson, who was the boss, creator, main visionary and the overall heart and soul of the group died, the Muppets still kept going. So I don't think that would be an issue. I don't exactly think Tyler Bunch or Peter Linz will be in a state of grief forever, they still have families to take care of. I'm sure it won't be too long before their back to working, they love their jobs and their fans too much for that.

Plus, Peter and Tyler don't really have any consistent main characters, they're mostly just handers and background characters, so while they are valuable to the team, their are also dozens of other Muppeteers who can do the same job.
yeah that is true also, I will be waiting for what ever happens next.

Last edited: