The breakfast cereal thread

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Last week I picked up some Cinnamon Almond Protein Cheerios, and I had never seen the variety before. It turned out to be very good, and I got another box. It's has Honey Bunches of Oats-type Almond Clusters and Cinnamon Cheerios. I hope they stick around.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Almost forgot. After what seems like forever, there's finally a new TMNT cereal on the market, and I snagged a box yesterday. Unlike the last cereal's "ninja Nets" and marshmallow pieces, this one is some sort of Trix type cereal shaped like their heads in all 4 colors. Wonder why it took them this long, since TMNT is the thing they tend to market as much as if not slightly more than Spongebob, who got a new cereal a couple years back. And yes, pineapple is an odd choice for a cereal flavor. Took several bowls of the stuff to realize what the flavor was, obvious as it should have been.

Didn't open the Turtles yet, though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One of our local dairies just recently put out a pineapple/orange ice cream. Sounds like it should be a sherbet than an ice cream flavor.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a pizza topping, albeit an unpopular one. So I guess that's the connection.

The Spongebob cereal was Pineapple flavored.

Because theme lyrics about where he lives.

It's weird because it really... doesn't translate right. The first few times I ate it it just tasted like a weird sweet flavor. Like some sort of combination of vanilla and envelope glue.

Dunno what the TMNT cereal tastes like, since I didn't open it. I'd assume it's basically Trix flavored since they're colored like their bandanas. I can see a orange/grape/cherry/blue raspberry type deal. I'll probably get around to opening it in a few days when I'm done with the thing I'm currently eating.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Orange-Pineapple ice cream's a regular Baskin Robbins classic.
Pineapple on a pizza is one of my favorite toppings.

Trix used to be good when it consisted of the various fruit flavored/color-coordinated ricepuffs.
Currently my cereal of preference is Honey Bunches of Oats. Though Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka did get it right, when you get to the bottom of the bag, all it is is just wood shavings you'd find inside a pencil sharpener. :zany:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Though Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka did get it right, when you get to the bottom of the bag, all it is is just wood shavings you'd find inside a pencil sharpener. :zany:
That's nothing. The bottom of the bag of a mini wheats, frosted or otherwise, you get little jagged micro-twigs. And the dust at the bottom of any given Cap'n Crunch cereal is just plain nasty.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Special K is just as bad with dust and crumbs at the bottom of every box.

Then you've got some cereals where it's like when you pour a bowl, you really don't need just a whole lot of milk because you'll end up with a bowl full by the time you finish the cereal; conversely, there's some cereals that really suck up the milk, prompting you to have to pour more, otherwise you're just eating soggy cereal.

Drtooth

Reaction score
  • Opened the new TMNT cereal and it was pretty much what I expected. The ubiquitous Trix-esque fruit flavor, but in the shape of Turtle heads with their respective colors. I want to say they all have different flavors, I think they just might, since it really tastes like a berry cereal with some orange in it. But that got me thinking. I know that there was some 1980's breakfast cereal I never got that had fruit flavored smiley faces and a cartoon character license. Something that this product is an unintended throwback to. Then it hit me.

Now, probably not quite the same, I've never eaten it, but I've seen that commercial so many times when it was available. Looking back at it, it would have been something if they had better funnies on it. I mean, the big star comics character that kids would have actually known was Dennis the Menace...maybe Hagar or Family Circus or Beetle Bailey if the cartoons were in rerun. Clearly Garfield and Snoopy and the like are from different syndicates for one thing, and could carry a breakfast cereal line all by themselves (though there was surprisingly no 1980's Garfield cereal and Snoopy only did endorsements of existing ones). The TMNT cereal also reminds me of that Diner-Saurs cereal (also saw the commercial a lot and never bought them) which I swear I posted the commercial to.