Big Bird on Soul Man (1998)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Found this Big Bird appearance recently! Soul Man was a sitcom in the late 90s (not to be confused with the sitcom The Soul Man from the late 2000s :wink:), about a widowed Episcopal minister and his family. In the episode "The Stan Plan," Father Mike (Dan Aykroyd) and his old army buddy (John Goodman) try to get tickets to see Big Bird conducting the Boston Pops.

Big Bird's scenes are at 16:10 and 19:09. Definitely check them out, Carroll gets to show off Big Bird's little seen sarcastic side, hehe. :wisdom:

The whole episode's worth watching too, btw, Soul Man did well in the ratings at the time, but was taken off the air in its second season, due to studio issues.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Found this Big Bird appearance recently! Soul Man was a sitcom in the late 90s (not to be confused with the sitcom The Soul Man from the late 2000s :wink:), about a widowed Episcopal minister and his family. In the episode "The Stan Plan," Father Mike (Dan Aykroyd) and his old army buddy (John Goodman) try to get tickets to see Big Bird conducting the Boston Pops.

Big Bird's scenes are at 16:10 and 19:09. Definitely check them out, Carroll gets to show off Big Bird's little seen sarcastic side, hehe. :wisdom:

The whole episode's worth watching too, btw, Soul Man did well in the ratings at the time, but was taken off the air in its second season, due to studio issues.

Awesome! Thanks for finding this!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ahaha, I love this. Now I can't help but think of one of the chase scenes from Dan Aykroyd's movie remake of DRAGNET, with he and Streebek (a very young Tom Hanks) plowing through a sales display of giant stuffed animals (including Big Birds and Baby Kermits), to which he says, "Look out! Muppets!"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ahaha, I love this. Now I can't help but think of one of the chase scenes from Dan Aykroyd's movie remake of DRAGNET, with he and Streebek (a very young Tom Hanks) plowing through a sales display of giant stuffed animals (including Big Birds and Baby Kermits), to which he says, "Look out! Muppets!"
Lol, yes! Not to mention this guy from Blues Brothers. That Grover doll is adorable, it looks like he's saying, "How did I, Grover, get into this movie?!" :super:

"Yes, do you have a Miss Piggy?"

Last edited:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Definitely never heard of this show. It's actually pretty good, had it lasted a few more years i'm sure it would've been a classic. I really like the characters and the light hearted sarcastic humor, kind of like "Family Ties". The kids' acting is a little stale, but not too bad.
But, seeing Dan Akroyd, John Goodman and Big Bird all on the same show, I feel like I died and went to heaven.

Also, one other thing. They made no mention of Big Bird being a puppet, so is he real in their world?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's interesting to see that this show was taped at the same studio that SST has been all these years - that probably made it easy for them to get Big Bird to appear on the show.

And hey, Big Bird is real in any world!