Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just hope the level of writing is as smart and strong as the good half of the original series and even Extreme GB. I have a feeling at worst this could go very much like that awful Evolution cartoon.

Haven't seen many cartoons for kids based off of movies that weren't Dreamworks or Disney lately.

Drtooth

Reaction score
YAY! I finally found the Juice Box version of Ecto Cooler, which is the real deal anyway over the cans anyway. Unceremoniously dumped into a local grocery store end cap (Market Basket, a New England Chain, so if you're reading this anywhere but MA and New Hampshire, I can't help you). 2 bucks a box, too (same price as any Hi-C juice box pack). I'm trying very hard not to anxiously tear through them as fast as I can. I want to savor them even though I can easily go back and get another pack.

Also, there's Ghostbusters marshmallows that have white, Stay Puft shapes and Green Slimer shapes. Dunno if they're flavored or not, I just didn't get a bag.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
YAY! I finally found the Juice Box version of Ecto Cooler, which is the real deal anyway over the cans anyway. Unceremoniously dumped into a local grocery store end cap (Market Basket, a New England Chain, so if you're reading this anywhere but MA and New Hampshire, I can't help you). 2 bucks a box, too (same price as any Hi-C juice box pack). I'm trying very hard not to anxiously tear through them as fast as I can. I want to savor them even though I can easily go back and get another pack.

Also, there's Ghostbusters marshmallows that have white, Stay Puft shapes and Green Slimer shapes. Dunno if they're flavored or not, I just didn't get a bag.
I would pick them up if I shopped for groceries at Market Basket , but I shop at a even more regional chain that only 2 (maybe 3) locations exist, and since I honestly really don't want to have Ecto Cooler as much as some people, I won't go there to pick that up. Oh well, the supermarket I go to might have the Schweppes Dark Ginger Ale again though, and that's really good.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Can I just say, part of the reason I'm at least open to the reboot is because of Muppet Central. No secret that I've always been something of a Muppet purist. However, I've seen so many younger fans over the years come to this board and talk about how they didn't grow up with Jim Henson's work, but still came to love it because of a more recent Muppets movie or TV show, etc. I think that's a very good thing, and I'm at least hopeful the same thing could happen with a Ghostbusters reboot. Reboots, good or bad, can be a useful gateway. :smile:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Can I just say, part of the reason I'm at least open to the reboot is because of Muppet Central. No secret that I've always been something of a Muppet purist. However, I've seen so many younger fans over the years come to this board and talk about how they didn't grow up with Jim Henson's work, but still came to love it because of a more recent Muppets movie or TV show, etc. I think that's a very good thing, and I'm at least hopeful the same thing could happen with a Ghostbusters reboot. Reboots, good or bad, can be a useful gateway. :smile:
Reboots, no matter what, always bring in new fans. No matter how good or bad the movie is or how much money it makes, someone will like it or say "I wonder what the original was like.''

Drtooth

Reaction score
I stifle to call this a "reboot" rather than what it really is. A soft re-imagining alternate timeline project to fill a hole left by the fact the third movie was in Development Purgatory for so long. I needn't repeat much, since it's all here in this thread if you're willing to go back and skim through it. I just have a feeling the only difference between the reception of this movie and the reception of the third movie we would have got is the anti-feminist wave of mansplaining.

The third movie, you see, was to have a plot similar to that of Extreme Ghostbusters. A new class of Ghostbuster because the Ghostbuster gang is 30 years older, and to quote the Transformers wiki "
Hudson is the only living Ghostbuster who isn't currently a doughboy. In fact, he's friggin' ripped." And instead of an all woman cast, it would have had the obvious comedians in that role, comedians like Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill who everyone hates anyway for some reason. To me, this soft, non-canonical alternate timeline stays perfectly away from being related to the original 2 films, rather than gambling with a direct continuation. Though, yeah, I really wish they went with a "Ghostbusters franchising themselves out" plot. Other than that, this movie shares a name, elements, maybe some of the iconic ghosts and the theme song. That's about it. If this is successful, maybe they're'll be a sequel. If it isn't, it's a one off. GB 3 is still somehow up to consideration (it'll still never be finished, though), so there's that. That's why some of the backlash gets me. They didn't ruin a classic film series by making a sequel that everyone hates for some reason. They didn't go out of their way to hide the fact the original films exist. They aren't even going to explain things that needn't be explained that wind up actually ruining the originals. This film is just...there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's why some of the backlash gets me. They didn't ruin a classic film series by making a sequel that everyone hates for some reason. They didn't go out of their way to hide the fact the original films exist. They aren't even going to explain things that needn't be explained that wind up actually ruining the originals. This film is just...there.
Some parts of the fandom have gotten it into their heads that unless the Ghostbusters reboot (or whatever it is) does exactly what Force Awakens did (i.e. actors playing their original characters with fan servicey dialogue), it's automatically "disrespectful."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, but those ones wouldn't exactly like where the third movie was going. And, actually, I think that somewhere on the internet does exist a bunch of fanboys complaining about the third film's "next generation" plotline and the actors in consideration. I don't think they'd even be happy if a film with all four original characters played by their respective characters was made. Probably initially, but either they'd find some details they'd be predisposed to have problems with, or at least wait until seeing the film, getting disappointed by it.

Something tells me a male centered GB3 would wind up being like the 21 Jump Street movies, but with ghosts. And that's ignoring the fact that the official third 21 Jump Street movie is a MIB crossover/reboot. Personally, I really don't think we really need a third Ghostbusters movie. In so much the second film, while I do enjoy it, does seem to be contested. Like I always go on about, by then the animated series did better with the mythos than the film. Baseball games between the spirits of the underworld for the Busters' souls to prove good can win over the forces of evil? How is 22 minutes of cartoon a stronger concept than "haunted painting needs baby and is defeated by Statue of liberty?"

That said, this film has, as far as a plotline goes, something a whole lot more special than the original second movie. And who knows. If this sort of story came out early 90's when the possibilities of a third movie were fresh and conceivable, it probably would have been the apology for an admittedly disappointing continuation. Then again, it could have turned out like this...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So, um, turns out I'm seeing the movie...tomorrow! :excited: Wish me luck!