ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I just wanna say Nick's new series Legandary Dudas is a mockumentary. So maybe the Muppets made mockumentaries popular again.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Nick's new series Legandary Dudas is a mockumentary. So maybe the Muppets made mockumentaries popular again.
Nah, mocumentaries never went anywhere. Parks and Recreation ended the same year that The Muppets started, plus we still have a couple of them that have been on for awhile such as "Modern Family" and some show called "Trailer Park Boys"

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I guess you guys have a point. I've just never seen a kid mockumentary since the Naked Brothers Band.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
NBB was awesome, especially the movie.
:concern: Someone else who actually LIKED NBB? All this time, I thought I was a weirdo...

I liked the movie, too. Cute parody of the Beatles' breakup. Didn't pay much attention to the show beyond the first few episodes.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I liked the movie, too. Cute parody of the Beatles' breakup. Didn't pay much attention to the show beyond the first few episodes.
You didn't miss that much. There weren't very many episodes, plus a good portion of them were just a bunch of mellow dramatic relationship cheese. Like seriously, chill out Nat, your only thirteen! :stick_out_tongue:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
You didn't miss that much. There weren't very many episodes, plus a good portion of them were just a bunch of mellow dramatic relationship cheese. Like seriously, chill out Nat, your only thirteen! :stick_out_tongue:
Yeah, that's what I figured. Probably the reason why I didn't go past the first few episodes!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
But Speachless looks...ugh...
But hey, no way it can be as bad as this show:
I don't know if it has mentioned here, but there's something way worse then Speechless or even Downward Dog.

Wow, just wow, the premise is literally about a woman self conscious about her weight, even though she's not even really fat. I mean what? So do the ABC executives think this'll do better then The Muppets?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, just wow, the premise is literally about a woman self conscious about her weight, even though she's not even really fat. I mean what? So do the ABC executives think this'll do better then The Muppets?
Yes, they probably do, because this is one of the problems with sitcoms today: networks want shows and character that are "relatable" to people, because it makes the shows more "realistic" and "believable." That's also another reason why so many characters on TV today are unlikeable *********, because apparently, unlikeable ********* are more real and relatable. In this case, yes, there's tons of healthy-looking women, who aren't even the least bit fat, who believe that they're really fat, so there's a huge demographic right there. Heck, I know a girl who's practically as thin as a twig, hardly any meat on her bones whatsoever, and yet she thinks she's "pudgy," when she isn't. So, again, that's a large demographic right there. And next to the 18-34 target audience that networks always want, networks are also always desperate for women viewers in general . . . don't forget, that's the main reason the network forced SEINFELD to include Elaine in the first place, so the show would reach out to the female demographic.

Again, this is how things were so different in olden times and now. As I said before, one of the reasons sitcoms in the 60s were so successful is because they offered people an escape from the turmultuous decade: you had Civil Rights, the Vietnam War, hippies, neo-terrorists, things like that . . . but when it came to TV, so many primetime sitcoms of that time were fantasy shows: THE ADDAMS FAMILY, THE MUNSTERS, BEWITCHED, I DREAM OF JEANNIE, and others, and they were all very, very successful, because they were fantasy shows, and they gave people an escape from reality. Even other successful shows back then offered escape in other ways . . . like THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, where Mayberry was the portrayal of simpler, more peaceful times in small town America; then you had the bucolic, silly, country shows like THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES and GREEN ACRES - shows that were just so absurd, but again, they were an escape from reality. Even Joan Ganz Cooney admitted that adults have come to her to tell her how much they love SST because they can't stand much of anything else on TV.

But that was then. Somehow along the way, shows had to become more and more realistic, because it reflects real people and the real problems they're going through in the real world, and that, apparently, is what draws in big numbers and ratings: shows that people can watch and understand what they're watching because it's what they're going through. And as I said, a show about a self-conscious women who's not really fat but she thinks she is? Pardon my French, but **** yeah that's going to go over way better than THE MUPPETS, because that is a relatable problem for women all over the world! Heck, that's one of the only reasons that trashy BRIDESMAIDS movie was successful: because it "finally gave women a movie with relatable characters they could enjoy."