ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Yes, they probably do, because this is one of the problems with sitcoms today: networks want shows and character that are "relatable" to people, because it makes the shows more "realistic" and "believable." That's also another reason why so many characters on TV today are unlikeable *********, because apparently, unlikeable ********* are more real and relatable. In this case, yes, there's tons of healthy-looking women, who aren't even the least bit fat, who believe that they're really fat, so there's a huge demographic right there. Heck, I know a girl who's practically as thin as a twig, hardly any meat on her bones whatsoever, and yet she thinks she's "pudgy," when she isn't. So, again, that's a large demographic right there. And next to the 18-34 target audience that networks always want, networks are also always desperate for women viewers in general . . . don't forget, that's the main reason the network forced SEINFELD to include Elaine in the first place, so the show would reach out to the female demographic.

Again, this is how things were so different in olden times and now. As I said before, one of the reasons sitcoms in the 60s were so successful is because they offered people an escape from the turmultuous decade: you had Civil Rights, the Vietnam War, hippies, neo-terrorists, things like that . . . but when it came to TV, so many primetime sitcoms of that time were fantasy shows: THE ADDAMS FAMILY, THE MUNSTERS, BEWITCHED, I DREAM OF JEANNIE, and others, and they were all very, very successful, because they were fantasy shows, and they gave people an escape from reality. Even other successful shows back then offered escape in other ways . . . like THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, where Mayberry was the portrayal of simpler, more peaceful times in small town America; then you had the bucolic, silly, country shows like THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES and GREEN ACRES - shows that were just so absurd, but again, they were an escape from reality. Even Joan Ganz Cooney admitted that adults have come to her to tell her how much they love SST because they can't stand much of anything else on TV.

But that was then. Somehow along the way, shows had to become more and more realistic, because it reflects real people and the real problems they're going through in the real world, and that, apparently, is what draws in big numbers and ratings: shows that people can watch and understand what they're watching because it's what they're going through. And as I said, a show about a self-conscious women who's not really fat but she thinks she is? Pardon my French, but **** yeah that's going to go over way better than THE MUPPETS, because that is a relatable problem for women all over the world! Heck, that's one of the only reasons that trashy BRIDESMAIDS movie was successful: because it "finally gave women a movie with relatable characters they could enjoy."
You had some points, but not all modern shows are trying to realistic and believable. But, then I don't get your love of Seinfeld. You do not like sexual material on television and you are not a fan of shows being real, that's two major things that Seinfeld had. Anyways, I highly doubt this show does well, because as you said it reaches out to young women demographic, but that's about it, I guarentee it'll be cancelled.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I never said I dislike when shows are real, I'm just pointing out that's the difference between shows then and now, realism is more a key factor now than it was then.

As for SEINFELD, at least that show had more going for it beyond the sexual content: the underlying theme of how a comedian gets his material. And, it wasn't always that realistic - in fact, that's been a complaint about the last two seasons (which I don't mind at all), that the show became increasingly absurd and far-fetched. And back then, shows weren't necessarily as "in-your-face" with the sexual content as they are now, and it wasn't something that almost all shows went out of their way to use as the selling point of the show. In the case of SEINFELD, the show was sold on the notion that it was, "a show about nothing," (though, again, the underlying theme was how a comedian gets his material); but then you look at a show like THE BIG BANG THEORY, and the show's tagline was, "Smart is the new sexy."

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I never said I dislike when shows are real, I'm just pointing out that's the difference between shows then and now, realism is more a key factor now than it was then.

As for SEINFELD, at least that show had more going for it beyond the sexual content: the underlying theme of how a comedian gets his material. And, it wasn't always that realistic - in fact, that's been a complaint about the last two seasons (which I don't mind at all), that the show became increasingly absurd and far-fetched. And back then, shows weren't necessarily as "in-your-face" with the sexual content as they are now, and it wasn't something that almost all shows went out of their way to use as the selling point of the show. In the case of SEINFELD, the show was sold on the notion that it was, "a show about nothing," (though, again, the underlying theme was how a comedian gets his material); but then you look at a show like THE BIG BANG THEORY, and the show's tagline was, "Smart is the new sexy."
Oh, okay, for Seinfeld, season 8 was fine, but season 9 was awful, it just got cartoony and bizarre to a point where I had to question if I was watching Nickelodean or something, I'm glad they ended it when they did. It's not the fact that it wasn't realistic, but more the fact that it betrayed the tone of the series, if it had started cartoony and then gotten more realistic towards the end, I would have not liked the realistic season. Also, I can agree on Big Bang Theory, that show is beyond awful along with most of CBS sitcoms and laugh track comedies these days. I don't really mind the sexual content in shows as long as isn't the main topic a lot.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's not the fact that it wasn't realistic, but more the fact that it betrayed the tone of the series, if it had started cartoony and then gotten more realistic towards the end, I would have not liked the realistic season.
I feel the same way about M*A*S*H. It started out as a sitcom, and it gradually invoked more dramatic undertones - that wasn't so bad, because it was war, and the very early seasons could be a tad too silly, slapstick, and broad at times. It wasn't until Season 8 of that show that it suddenly shifted completely to a drama with (barely) comedic undertones, and became a dark and preachy show; I don't like those last few seasons at all.

Drtooth

Reaction score
wow, abc has really gone down toilet .
Compared to NBC and CBS's sitcoms for the most part (Life in Pieces is actually quite good, and Big Bang's okay if you like Big Bang), ABC's still the cream of the crop.

Just making a couple obvious programs that aren't that interesting compared to their current line up.

While I like the idea of a show about a housewife struggling with weight, they kinda did a better job with the obvious one from the 90's with the obvious comedianne, and CBS did a better job with Mike and Molly by having actual heavy people on it. I just don't get it. If the actress was any bigger they'd be all "ooh, that poor disgusting woman" and she'd get a TLC exploitation show. But just normal looking enough and it's "You go, girl."

And you totally know some thinspirational nutjob's still gonna whine about it.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Why bring this up and focus on the negative? The Muppets just scored some major popularity points last Sunday with the band's concert. It may not lead them into a new Tv series, but one thing is definitely for sure: The Electric Mayhem are HOT! Which also means the Muppets themselves are still hot as well.
Was the cancellation of the show sad? Yes, but they now have a better and more huge surge then when the show was in the planning stages. So lets focus on the positive,beacause the Muppets are not going anywhere!

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Bumping this up because I watched the finale and kind of want to give my thoughts on its cancellation.

Honestly, I can see why some people didn't like this show - it pretty much had The Office humor to it but with Muppets.

I personally found the series funny - I thought it gave a nice new direction for the Muppets while also not feeling forced. I really wish it continued, because I feel like the cancellation was just uncalled for.