Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ghostbusters never had a chance to make a third movie in its prime to apologize for how wasted the second film was, unlike Men in Black getting a serviceable third film to make up for the waste of a second film.
I will watch Ghostbusters 2 any day over Men in Black 2 or 3, lol. For me, Men in Black 3 wasn't that much of an improvement.

Why else would they have been out of business for years
Well Ramis did say he thought the Ghostbusters worked best as underdogs, and I can agree with that. Even if GB2 had started with them on top of the world, they'd have to come down at some point in the movie anyway.

The reason I'm not interested in the "reboot not a sequel" thing at this point, is, I don't know, it's kind of disgusting hearing so many fans going, "I wanted, I wanted, I wanted, Me, Me, Me..." We all want a lot of things in life. Doesn't mean what we get is worthless.

Last edited:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Ghostbusters bnever had a chance to make a third movie in its prime to apologize for how wasted the second film was, unlike Men in Black getting a serviceable third film to make up for the waste of a second film.
I actually never saw Ghostbusters 2, I hear it really wasn't good, but I agree with you on Men In Black. The second movie was terrible seriously was it trying to pander to kids or something, having the pug from the first movie and the worms go from small cameos to full blown side characters, the plot and effects were flimsy, just a bad movie. Men In Black 3 did redeem the franchise though, now that one is a great movie.

As for Ghostbusters, it had some strong weekday numbers, and that should help it reach it's budget and most likely surpass it. At worse it'll break even, but I think it'll make some money unless it has some huge drops, still better then what the haters were expecting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The reason I'm not interested in the "reboot not a sequel" thing at this point, is, I don't know, it's kind of disgusting hearing so many fans going, "I wanted, I wanted, I wanted, Me, Me, Me..." We all want a lot of things in life. Doesn't mean what we get is worthless.
I feel that would have been the result regardless of what Ghostbusters movies they would have made. What should be perfectly clear is that Sony was going to make another movie, and if it wasn't the one we got, it would have been something else the fanbase wouldn't have liked. What I really can't stand are those who desperately want decades long sequels and cheer them on all the way until the movie comes out and then something rubs them the wrong way and it's immediately the worst movie ever and an affront to fans even if the original team was behind it. I don't think a GB3, even one written by Akroyd and Ramis would have got really good reception. I do remember that when the idea of a "next generation" concept, one sanctioned by the original writers, popped up, fans were quick to dump on it.

I personally feel the franchise didn't need to come back. Ghostbusters was popular enough when it came out, though it was outgrossed by Beverly Hills Cop at the box office. But it became a big cult thing to the point where it transcended and became a classic movie with a massive following. Unlike, say, Avatar which made a crapload of money, sure, but then everyone kind of forgotten and stopped caring about. But I feel the fact that Sony wanted another movie and to bring it into franchise territory, we got at least not the worst option. I have horrible thoughts (as I mentioned earlier) of Sony making it an Adam Sandler and his buddies film. Shudder. or not quite as bad, but still not preferable, something with Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan. Indeed, their names were tossed around as a rumor in the "next Generation" movie.

I actually never saw Ghostbusters 2, I hear it really wasn't good, but I agree with you on Men In Black. The second movie was terrible seriously was it trying to pander to kids or something, having the pug from the first movie and the worms go from small cameos to full blown side characters, the plot and effects were flimsy, just a bad movie. Men In Black 3 did redeem the franchise though, now that one is a great movie.
I'll agree that the actors acted the heck out of Ghostbusters 2. If anything it's not a bad film by that aspect, but conceptually there are things that worked and things that didn't. Maybe it rubs me the wrong way as a fan of the cartoon series which used the concepts stronger and wiser, and overall a better sequel than the movie sequel. But the mood slime bringing the Statue of Liberty to life? Ehhhhh... There's a difference between campy and pushing it. Same reason I hate the Batman 66 episode with the Surfing Joker. They crossed the fine line between acceptable level of tongue in cheekness and delved into of the wall schtick that makes you groan. Not to mention the villain was weak. It has its moments, and some darn good ones. Chemestry does save the film from being a total disaster. Just...the cartoon had some great stuff about Peter's con-man father...even had an episode lampshading ABC's idiotic S&P meddling towards Janine. If there's 3 second movies that bug me due to the cartoon series, it's Ghostbusters 2, Men in Black 2, and TMNT: Secret of the Ooze. Of course for TMNT:SOTO, my problem was it pandered too much to the cartoon fans (i.e. young kids) and especially the suburban mommies who wanted to tone down the violence and replace Awesome Casey Jones with generic Japanese karate man. I still don't see how that's the preferable to TMNT3 film, but somehow it is.

That said, MIB3 may not have been perfect or great, but I gave them credit for being more experimental with the plotline. The cartoon did a far superior time travel episode, though.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do remember that when the idea of a "next generation" concept, one sanctioned by the original writers, popped up, fans were quick to dump on it.
Yeah I hear a lot of people say, "If only it had been a passing of the torch story, everyone would have loved it." Yeah, sure, lol. If by love it you mean nitpick it to death, I agree.

Maybe it rubs me the wrong way as a fan of the cartoon series which used the concepts stronger and wiser, and overall a better sequel than the movie sequel.
I can see that. I agree, the cartoon grew a richer universe than GB2 did.

But the mood slime bringing the Statue of Liberty to life? Ehhhhh... There's a difference between campy and pushing it.
Lol, I guess it's purely a "Go with it or don't" thing. I like seeing New Yorkers getting pepped up, embracing positivity, etc.

Of course for TMNT:SOTO, my problem was it pandered too much to the cartoon fans (i.e. young kids)
At least they thought they were, the cartoon was ten times smarter than SOTO, lol.

I still don't see how that's the preferable to TMNT3 film, but somehow it is.
TMNT3 is obviously pretty clunky but you can see the potential there. Plus I admit I absolutely love Corey Feldman as Donatello, lol. His Donnie was smart, but also had some attitude. He's the type who would study quantum mechanics while listening to Bon Jovi! SOTO Donatello was more your standard nerd and, eh, not that memorable.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah I hear a lot of people say, "If only it had been a passing of the torch story, everyone would have loved it." Yeah, sure, lol. If by love it you mean nitpick it to death, I agree.
When that concept was even rumored, it was already picked apart. And I can see that. It's why Extreme Ghostbusters gets an unreasonable amount of hate. That and the "Extreme" subtitle. The entire show seemed to undo ABC's damage to the original.

But no matter what movie we would have got, the fanbase would have hated it. I just happen to have no respect for those keep calling for a sequel and then whine the loudest about how terrible it is. Sure, we can all be disappointed, but with these long standing sequels, I don't see too many Mad Max: Fury Road type films that gets a good reception and respect for the creator who was frustratingly trying to get it off the ground for years.

At least they thought they were, the cartoon was ten times smarter than SOTO, lol.
Ehhh...kinda. It's still a better watch than Mr. Ogg goes to Town, or the entirety of European vacation. You hear about the UK's edited "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" controversy, and it feels like it manifested in this movie. Though, I have to say, Tokka and Rahzar were excellent, and at least more creative than Rocksteady and Bebop being thrown in there. Where as the original film was a nice compromise between cartoon series and comic book, changing only a little here and there to work as a movie, Secret of the Ooze was a 90 minute G rated kid's toy commercial. They totally didn't need to make it a Shredder revenge story. Super Shredder may be awesome a villain in the video games, but it just clenches every Disney villain stereotype as a film.

TMNT3 is obviously pretty clunky but you can see the potential there. Plus I admit I absolutely love Corey Feldman as Donatello, lol. His Donnie was smart, but also had some attitude. He's the type who would study quantum mechanics while listening to Bon Jovi! SOTO Donatello was more your standard nerd and, eh, not that memorable.
TMNT 3 doesn't deserve the hate it gets. Unfortunately the movie can only be appreciated if you're a fan of the original comics. It has a very Tales of the TMNT vibe to it, and I appreciate that it didn't just dump some other TMNT cartoon villain in there. Plus, the best darn Casey Jones there was came back. It's not a perfect film, but hardly the kiddy and nanny pandering toy commercial that was Secret of the Ooze.

Still... have you ever heard the concepts for the fourth original TMNT movie that thankfully never got made? That would have been a dumpster fire.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Sure, we can all be disappointed
It's just that some fans make disappointment a way of life, lol. :wink:

Still... have you ever heard the concepts for the fourth original TMNT movie that thankfully never got made? That would have been a dumpster fire.
I don't think so, what were they?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Remember the second to last season of the 80's TMNT cartoon where the turtles inexplicably turned into The Incredible Hulk? Something like that.

And might as well throw this out there:

Agreed with everything but the predictable Extreme Ghostbusters bashing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Remember the second to last season of the 80's TMNT cartoon where the turtles inexplicably turned into The Incredible Hulk? Something like that.

And might as well throw this out there:
Agreed with everything but the predictable Extreme Ghostbusters bashing.
And I disagree with everything in that review, lol. Well, not quite, I liked the parts about Winston "who's there sometimes" and Dana being "more naked." Lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry, I get that Honest Trailer's thing is to rip apart movies. I'm just saying: It has never bothered me that the New Yorkers don't believe in ghosts anymore. The whole point of GB2 is how easily jaded and smug people can become. People aren't logical, they're emotional. They have selective memories, as Peter essentially points out in the court room scene. People don't want to deal with being ridiculed, thus that burden falls on the Ghostbusters. That's a big reason why they're heroes.

And while there are similar beats, it's not the same story. The GB1 is an origin story, plus a commentary on the '80s' obsession with money. GB2 is about a completely different aspect of society, again our tendency to be negative. And there's a symmetry between the two films. In GB1, the Ghostbusters come through for the city. In GB2, the city comes through for the Ghostbusters.

And also, Egon is actually quite different in GB2. In GB1, Ramis made a point of never smiling. But over 5 years, Egon seems to have developed a weird sort of wry, all knowing smirk (like watch the toaster scene), lol.

I can think of many ways to defend the reboot without throwing GB2 under 16 different buses. :stick_out_tongue:

Oh, as for TMNT, that's interesting. I wonder if a live action movie could have done "Red Sky" any better.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Watching that gave me appreciation for the plot of the new film. Sure, it hit some of the same obvious plot points, but if there's 3 things I think this film did better, I'd say it's...

1. Keeping the villification of the Ghostbusters on a government level more about a sleazey mayor trying not to look bad, instead of an angry government official that wants to shut them down. Especially since instead of actually being arrested or committed, they're just dismissed and "fake" arrested. At the very least, no time spent in a "we're stuck in prison and we need to get out or things will get very bad" sub-plot. Not to mention the mayor's huge backpedal at the end, fumferring it of as "terrorism."
  2. No montage short cut of their rise to stardom, and everything happens more or less in real time. They're established, but not well established.
  3. While I'd usually complain about a third act break up, I think one of the Ghostbusters completely leaving the others and getting caught up in a separate crisis to the point she freaks out at a restaurant trying to warn the mayor was a nice touch.
Overall, the one thing that makes this a better second film than the actual second film is that at least it hits different notes on the way to a similar plot. Though, for what its worth, I like Ghostbusters 2, and I especially like the scenes with Murray and Weaver in both films, and if there's one thing I feel this new film is missing, it's something like that.

However, if a sequel to this were to be made, I'd have the Ghostbusters remain a successful ghost extermination business, and if anything have things slow down a little. That's the thing the cartoon series did much better, the fact they were still in business and residual ghosts of all kinds would manifest.

Oh, as for TMNT, that's interesting. I wonder if a live action movie could have done "Red Sky" any better.
I duuno about that, but the new cartoon series certainly did Dregg a lot better.