TV Tropes

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since I'm suspended and therefore can't access the Lost and Found section on the site, do you guys know of any trope or trivia/YMMV item where Word Of God is actually wrong? I'm not talking about Word Of Dante, where things like rumors and urban legends and fan speculations are often misregarded as fact, but when creators of something say something about their work, but is obviously incorrect. I know the writers of M*A*S*H have insisted that they only recycled a joke on the show approximately once in all eleven seasons, but there's countless other examples of jokes being recycled. Similarly, Garry Marshall says they rarely did flashback episodes on THE ODD COUPLE, but in going through the series on DVD, they seemed to do flashback episode two or even three times a season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So once again, I found an example of how inconsistent the TV Tropes staff is with their own rules, and since I brought it to their attention, they decided to completely suspend my account altogether.

What a bunch of ***#0l3$ they are: they're quick to single out certain tropers and develop personal vendettas over petty matters, but they can't stand to be called out over their own shortcomings. Gee, just like Drumph.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
So once again, I found an example of how inconsistent the TV Tropes staff is with their own rules, and since I brought it to their attention, they decided to completely suspend my account altogether.

What a bunch of ***#0l3$ they are: they're quick to single out certain tropers and develop personal vendettas over petty matters, but they can't stand to be called out over their own shortcomings. Gee, just like Drumph.
So they pretty much banned your account?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought of a trivia trope that might be great, not sure how to title it or if it'd be too "people sit on chairs", but I'd like to see a trope for animated shows where most of the voice actors do multiple characters, but then there's voice actors who only do one character. I don't think there's such a trivia trope.

There are animated shows where it seems each voice actor only does one character (it seems like most animated Disney shows do this, even when the voice actors generally do multiple voices on other shows, with Jim Cummings being the main exception, as he seems to do a lot of voices on the Disney shows he's a part of), but many tend to use the same actors for multiple roles, and then there's actors who just do one voice. Notable examples include Yeardly Smith on The Simpsons, rarely doing any non-Lisa voices (and when she does, the characters are meant to be very similar to Lisa), and William Conrad, the narrator on Bullwinkle. There were rare occasions when he did do other voices, but as noted in The Moose That Roared, he didn't do character voices othen because he didn't have many voices that sounded cartoony enough. A number of celebrity regulars on animated shows seem to also have only one character (such as Adam West on Family Guy).

And in a puppetry example, Caroll Spinney kind of counts, though it's not exactly a one-character performer, but for most of Sesame Street's run he's generally only been Big Bird and Oscar, while the other Muppet performers could do any number of characters. I think Noel MacNeil on Bear in the Big Blue House would count as well - I don't think he ever performed any additional roles, but he was likely too busy with the lead character to be able to do other roles.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I got to think about how TV Tropes has a number of tropes for trios in fiction, such as Beauty, Brain, and Brawn, or Blonde, Brunette, and Redhead, what have you. I wonder if there isn't, if there should be a trope for trios where one is the ringleader of the three, one is always the voice of reason and very rational, and one is just a big dummy who screws everything up. Ed, Edd n Eddy probably fit the bill for that one: Eddy's the one always coming up with the scams for them to do, Double D tries to reason with Eddy to avoid trouble, and Ed's just a big lump.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I got to think about how TV Tropes has a number of tropes for trios in fiction, such as Beauty, Brain, and Brawn, or Blonde, Brunette, and Redhead, what have you. I wonder if there isn't, if there should be a trope for trios where one is the ringleader of the three, one is always the voice of reason and very rational, and one is just a big dummy who screws everything up. Ed, Edd n Eddy probably fit the bill for that one: Eddy's the one always coming up with the scams for them to do, Double D tries to reason with Eddy to avoid trouble, and Ed's just a big lump.
I think this is what you're looking for:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FreudianTrio

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FreudianTrio/WesternAnimation

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Guess what I did for the first time a few weeks ago? Made my very first edit after all of these months! I was really afraid to do so, but I finally got the urge to do it. It was only a minor edit though, so it wasn't like it was major or anything.

And I also love the Ask The Tropers feature and the forum as well. In fact, some people answered some of my questions including this burning question that I had about an old sitcom from the 80s. I love how people choose to not ignore me on there.

JonTheMuppet

Reaction score
I have an account, but I almost never edit these days, unless there's a glaring spelling error I can't ignore.

I spend quite a lot of time reading it, as I'm sure many of the people on here do too. I like the Hilarious in Hindsight examples, in particular. My favourite is that in 2001: A Space Odyssey, the spaceflight operator is Pan-Am. However, by the time 2001 rolled around in real life, Pan-Am had been out of business for 10 years.

Great site, but I lurk most of the time rather than contribute.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I edit every so often, but it's almost exclusively Muppet and Sesame Street related edits, since those pages are pretty lacking. On that note, would anyone be interested in editing the SST episode recaps? There are a lot of important episodes still missing.

Generally, my favorite pages are the character description pages, and the different tropes related to character development, such as Flanderization and Character Derailment.

As I said though, I don't edit too often because, as D'Snowth and other Tropers have said, some of the management can be a little strict.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Beware of a mod known as Fighteer - he, for whatever reason, has become notorious for treating people at TV Tropes like crap; there's even an entire Encyclopedia Dramatica article about it.