Danger Mouse and Powerpuff Girls both announced for comebacks

mr3urious

Reaction score
Something tells me that the makeup kit that gave Bubbles a terrible eye infection was a reference to the PPG makeup kit that was recalled for the same reason. It was mentioned on TV Tropes' "So Bad It's Horrible" page.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I totally forgot about that when i was posting. Heck yeah, they made fun of their own merchandising. If anything I'll agree is missing, it's that level of sharpness in the show's humor.

Though I have to ask...who the heck thought a PPG make up kit was a good idea? That's not what the show is about. Wouldn't be surprised if that also wasn't the point of the old episode with Phyllis Diller as the villain.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the last episode a lot more than I should have. Was it a dumb story? Yes. But was it a heck of a lot of fun to watch? Sure was. This still feels like conceptually something they would have done in the original series. I'm still having an issue about the ambiguous age of the girls. For the most part, it seems they're growing up. Not taking medicine unless they're sung to seems a little more juvenile to suggest they're still young children. I really want another episode that addresses this, since I like to think that time passed in between season 6 and this series (even if it's a "Finding Dory" level of a year in universe passed when over a decade is between the first and second film).

Anyway, the sad thing is, they could have used the Judge Judy reference in the original series or this one and it's still as relevant. But I'm not gonna go there. I like the idea of the Professor seeking outside employment. He has that sort of Kramer-esque "what does he do for a living exactly?" thing in the original series. Sure, he's a Professor, but who exactly does he work for? Only time they addressed that in the old series was the episode they moved to the realistically depressing city because he had a better job offer.

Liked how Buttercup was handled in this episode. Seems out of the three girls, they really nailed her. Bubbles to some extent, Blossom's a little Flanderized about cleanliness and organization. That I'll agree to having a slight issue with. Then again, Buttercup is my favorite of the girls, especially when most of the secondary characters and villains were what kept me tuning in.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I really liked how everything tied together, from the antidote to the giant ear of corn to even the really long straws. And you just gotta love Buttercup's rock cover of the antidote song.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, the Happy Meal toys are legit. I have the Mojo and Buttercup. They're pretty nice. Much better than the BK promotion 10+ years ago, only you don't get both the girls and boys toys together. I rather liked having both PPG and DBZ figures without having to buy separate toys.

Also, the Funko Pop designs have been released, and special Glow in the Dark versions are set for Comiccon. They're....uh...cute but...

They kinda look like that odd thing they do with their eyes in the new series that looks uncomfortable. Not that I wouldn't want Buttercup. Hopefully they also have Mojo or another of the villains.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh, and in the case of Danger Mouse (didn't get a chance to watch more of it on Netflix, though), apparently Japan's getting a dub.

Hopefully Fremantle media won't automatically pull this one like the video like they did the actual video opening.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And again on the Danger Mouse side of things, one of the latest episodes was centered on Jeopardy Mouse again, and it was a nice send-up of the Avengers movies (and I'm not talking about the British spy show from the '60s or its film adaptation from the '90s). Penfold also seems to be an Americaphile, if that's the right word for it, really fascinated by our country's excess and even using a few American terms out of habit.

There was even another episode where DM was so amused by a group of clown aliens invading Earth (he's loved them since he was a child) that he had a hard time fighting back against them. However, Squawkencluck greatly thought otherwise. :big_grin:

Oh, and here's an interview with the directors of this show, showing how Brian Cosgrove and Brian Trueman gave their blessing on the reboot and wished them the best of luck. They even talked about how Toon Boom Harmony was used rather than Flash, which gave them a lot less limitations and allowed them to go bigger than the original.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/reboo...-robert-cullen-and-paul-oflanagan-120551.html

Drtooth

Reaction score
Powerpuff Girls gets a second season, which is no surprise at all, but I'm really happy to see that another season could very well have the show shape up to be something better than it currently is. Something much stronger. The first season seems to be all about reintroducing the characters and slowly developing concepts. Hopefully season 2 gets around the awkwardness season 1, something most shows have, and uses some of the established concepts to good use.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
One thing I don't like about this show is Bubbles. I don't hate her in this show at all but, she seems to have lost most of her personality. She's more boring than she was on the original show and seems to mostly be a sidekick to Blossom and Buttercup.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's why I'm so confused about how the show presents the girls and passage of time. They're older, except their not, but they are, but all that changed was their voices and hair styles, but in the flashback where Bubbles destroyed the school she has her old haircut...

I can take the fact Bubbles lost some of her ultra-cutesy personality as a growing slightly out of it, even though she's cutesy in one episode, in others she's seem to have grown. If there's anything no one's mentioning about the show is that there's a slight level of inconsistency with the writing of the girls, but then again, it's the first season of the show. Buttercup seems to be the best written of the bunch, Blossom's odd obsession with order and cleanliness is in danger of Flanderization.