Bob, Gordon, and Luis: FIRED!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I've seen no evidence that HBO had any involvement. The links I just referenced don't imply it at all.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I agree with you! I think the HBO Deal was just a money making opportunity for Sesame.

In the book Street Gang it talks a lot about the idea that in 1990 Disney was trying to gain rights to Sesame,and Jim and others where very aginst it. I think people are afraid that the HBO deal is kind of that on a smaller scale. If I understand it though it's more of a partnership where HBO help fund for Sesame,and in return the show is now run on there channel. Am I right?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
If I understand it though it's more of a partnership where HBO help fund for Sesame,and in return the show is now run on there channel. Am I right?
Yup. Pretty much, the basics of the deal are: HBO funds the next five years (plus two new shows from SW) and gets exclusive streaming and broadcast rights, for the newest episodes at least.

As such, SW has financial production security, HBO now has popular brand to attract customers with, and PBS gets the new episodes for free following the 9-month window (they previously had to pay for licensing them). So, PBS can use that money to fund other programming.

The only thing I see HBO having a slight control over SW in is in their YouTube uploads; they only seem to be uploading new celebrity appearances, but nothing else from the new episodes. HBO's "HBO Kids" channel is doing that. It's possible that that might lighten up once the new episodes hit PBS in a month.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Now do we know for sure if the new show is going to be Sesame related, or something different? I would love for there to be another show like Play with me Sesame that focused on other characters other then Elmo.

Drtooth

Reaction score
IF HBO were involved in anything, we wouldn't see anything until the next season. It's obvious from watching this current season, produced before HBO was involved, these major changes were SW's and SW's alone, and would probably have happened if the show was still PBS exclusive.

The cast was already whittled down to Alan, Chris, and Suki when this season started. Some of the changes feel like they've been in the works for some time. Especially the half hour runtime of the show, that's what the shortened afternoon version of the show was for. To test market if they can run the show at half capacity. For the record, it's a mixed bag for me. A full hour is full of so much filler, a half hour runs too fast and clumsy. The focus on a smaller group of Muppets pretty much came out of the blue, considering the last full hour season focused mostly on fairy tale characters with the main characters playing second fiddle.

If HBO had full run of the show, the changes would be much more invasive. probably replace the entire cast with B-list celebrities or something.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think people are just surprised that Sesame would do that to there veteran cast members. When you think about though why pay someone who for whatever reason is doing.very little work for you? Now I don't really know how the actors are paid, but if they where getting paid and only making one or two appearances a season then that is wasting money.

Censored

Reaction score
I think people are just surprised that Sesame would do that to there veteran cast members. When you think about though why pay someone who for whatever reason is doing.very little work for you? Now I don't really know how the actors are paid, but if they where getting paid and only making one or two appearances a season then that is wasting money.
I can't believe anyone could say that about Bob, Roscoe, and Emilio. They made the show for years and have earned a permanent place on the street for the rest of their lives!

Censored

Reaction score
IF HBO were involved in anything, we wouldn't see anything until the next season. It's obvious from watching this current season, produced before HBO was involved, these major changes were SW's and SW's alone, and would probably have happened if the show was still PBS exclusive.

The cast was already whittled down to Alan, Chris, and Suki when this season started. Some of the changes feel like they've been in the works for some time. Especially the half hour runtime of the show, that's what the shortened afternoon version of the show was for. To test market if they can run the show at half capacity. For the record, it's a mixed bag for me. A full hour is full of so much filler, a half hour runs too fast and clumsy. The focus on a smaller group of Muppets pretty much came out of the blue, considering the last full hour season focused mostly on fairy tale characters with the main characters playing second fiddle.

If HBO had full run of the show, the changes would be much more invasive. probably replace the entire cast with B-list celebrities or something.
If nothing else, HBO is guilty by association.