The Old Cartoon Network Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
So Boomerang has been rerunning Dexter's Lab lately.

They've gone through the episodes made after Genndy left.

All I can say is, I'm baffled about the amount of hate that the new PPG series gets considering how freaking awful most of the late Dexter cartoons are.

BertsNose

Reaction score
So Boomerang has been rerunning Dexter's Lab lately.

They've gone through the episodes made after Genndy left.

All I can say is, I'm baffled about the amount of hate that the new PPG series gets considering how freaking awful most of the late Dexter cartoons are.
I don't have Boomerang. I don't know what Comcast/Xfinity's problem is and can't understand why they won't add the channel to their cable package. I have been wanting to see reruns of Dexter's Laboratory for years. I agree that the late episodes aren't the best. There's maybe only one or two episodes from that era I like. For some reason I like the episode "Sis-Tem Error" in season 4. I'm not sure why I found it hilarious the way Dee Dee was pretending to be the computer in order to keep him from finding out she accidentally shut down the power. I found parts of "Stuffed Animal House" to be very funny as well.

I'm not a fan of the PPG reboot either but you do have a point about the later Dexter episodes being awful compared to that. "D Squared" is one such episode I don't like that much.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't have Boomerang. I don't know what Comcast/Xfinity's problem is and can't understand why they won't add the channel to their cable package.
They say it's because it's a commercial-free channel, but that doesn't explain why they already included Noggin because it was commercial-free too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They say it's because it's a commercial-free channel, but that doesn't explain why they already included Noggin because it was commercial-free too.

Ahem....

Not anymore.

Insert long rant about sister channels being only available on the super large premium cable packages with hundreds of channels you'd blissfully ignore here.

I don't get XD, but I get all three Nick channels, Playhouse Disney and Boomerang. Was also annoyed I didn't get the Hub, but since that channel changed the way it did, I could care less. I can watch Rescue Bots online.

I agree that the late episodes aren't the best. There's maybe only one or two episodes from that era I like. For some reason I like the episode "Sis-Tem Error" in season 4. I'm not sure why I found it hilarious the way Dee Dee was pretending to be the computer in order to keep him from finding out she accidentally shut down the power. I found parts of "Stuffed Animal House" to be very funny as well.
That end of the series was a mess. I agree it had some actually good episodes. The Wacky Races tribute especially. Even liked the one where Dexter gives himself laser eye surgery and everyone looked like a Basil Wolverton cartoon. That's ex-Ren and Stimpy's Bill Wray for you. I bet the storyboards were epic on that one.

mr3urious

Reaction score
That end of the series was a mess. I agree it had some actually good episodes. The Wacky Races tribute especially. Even liked the one where Dexter gives himself laser eye surgery and everyone looked like a Basil Wolverton cartoon. That's ex-Ren and Stimpy's Bill Wray for you. I bet the storyboards were epic on that one.
There was also a brilliant tribute to Tex Avery's "...Of Tomorrow" cartoons.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Much like when PPG's creator left for another show, the episodes were a violently mixed bag. Ones that were actually good and ones that were there for their contractual obligation. Come to think of it, I take back about 50% of what I said about the last season of Dexter. Some are actually kinda fun, like the one where he goes to college and flips the heck out because everyone refuses to study, turning him into a party fiend just as everyone else was cramming. Also liked the one where DeeDee writes poetry for Dexter to read to a girl he wanted to get with, only to stupidly start his own, which were only insults to DeeDee.

Though I must admit. I'm mix on the original, cel animated bounciness of the first episodes or the sharper, cleaner look of the new ones. Dexter appears to have gotten shorter, especially with the shape of his head. At least it was better than the post movie PPG look. I like how the girls looked, I must admit, but I hated the rest of the show's look. Especially pointy Mojo. Thankfully, the new cartoon at least gets that right. Love my round, non-threatening Mojo.

Meanwhile, a series of old Cartoon Network bumper commercials popped up. A series called Cartoon network Responds

Here's one that was surprising. An audience request for a list of Speed Racer episodes:

Which has the Japanese version of the theme song. Something that was impossible to find in the early internet days.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well even during the Genndy years of the show, Dexter started out having a slightly taller head than we got used to, particularly in those that were originally What A Cartoon! pilots.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I tried watching several episodes of ED EDD N' EDDY recently because I hadn't watched it in a few years. But I just really couldn't get into it, mostly because almost all the characters are such unpleasant brats. Sure, I understand they don't like the Eds (Edds?) because they're scam artists, but still. It's just uncomfortable to watch. It doesn't help that the most unlikable characters seem to get the most screen time. I mean, Ed's already a bit of a jerk, does everyone else have to be? Are there even enough characters for that?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In my dissection of the series (yes, I've done that, lol), I've come to the conclusion that it's just Eddy the other cul-de-sac kids really hated. On those rare occasions where just Ed and/or Double D are by themselves, you'll notice the other kids don't even seem to mind them at all - there's even been a couple of occasions where Kevin engaged in pleasant/friendly conversation with just Double D. I think it's mainly Eddy's influence, because he's the little pest of the group, and Ed and Double D mainly just go along with him because he's the leader of their group.

That being said, I think it's really only Kevin who held contempt for them (well, again, mostly Eddy), and not really the other kids: Rolf, Jonny, and Nazz never seem bothered by the Eds for the most part, but whenever Kevin's around, suddenly the other kids act like they don't like the Eds either, I think it's because Kevin's the "cool" kid, and the others would rather hang with him to seem like "cool" kids as well, which I can actually remember kids actually doing back when I was a kid, lol.

I mean, I give Danny Antonucci and his writers that, they really captured childhood exploits really well on this show, if even in an exaggerated, fantastic way - Danny even admitted that a lot of what happened on the show came from things that his own kids and their friends did. The Kanker Sisters were based on a pair of girls who stalked him in middle school.

mr3urious

Reaction score
That being said, I think it's really only Kevin who held contempt for them (well, again, mostly Eddy), and not really the other kids:
Kevin and Sarah, actually. Even Jimmy to a lesser extent.