The Steven Universe thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
After Steven and the Homeworld Rubies were ejected into space, a bubbled-up Steven gets to interact with one of them -- Eyeball, to be exact. We learn a little more about Pink Diamond as the two squabble. We even get to hear the song that we only heard snippets of in the end credits as the Crystal Gems reunite with him.

The season 4 premiere gives Peridot a chance to show that she's "smarter than the average Peridot" by capturing a corrupted Gem. Lots of Wile E. Coyote antics ensue in the process.

mr3urious

Reaction score
"Know Your Fusion" was a great breather episode. Pearl and Garnet want to know about how Smoky Quartz came to be and its abilities, so they form Sardonyx and test out her abilities. I love all the fourth wall breaking and the reference to how they needn't worry about getting Nicki Minaj back to voice Sugilite.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly call it a filler episode, since there is a lot to it. Garnet and Pearl are easily excited for Steven's fusion with Amethyst, but it feels that while part of Sardonix, Pearl is slightly disappointed in the fact they don't have greater powers while Garnet thinks that the fusion is special enough. After all, we just came off a character arc about how Steven and Amethyst both dealt with their shortcomings, and it got actually heartbreaking when even their fusion felt inferior to the point of making increasingly self deprecating comments.

Also, noticed that they probably do have to pay Nicki Minaj for archival footage, but she wasn't listed in the credits.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Aliens who can regenerate,are thousands of years old, can transport and cry over Rose:

One of the more prominent reasons for SU's LGBT-themed material is due to Rebecca Sugar's bisexuality:

http://www.autostraddle.com/rebecca...iverse-creator-comes-out-at-comic-con-346094/
This actually confirms one of my theories about her. Also, another theory I had was that she and Ian Quartey Jones were dating, I had been half joking about it for a while but I actually recently found out it was true.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really like this trend of guest anime studios/animators in Cartoon Network shows. First we had Masaaki Yuasa's wonderful spin on Adventure Time, then we had Studio 40C's work on The Fury episode of Gumball, now we have Studio Trigger's collaboration for Garnet's song in this latest episode. Hope to see more of these, especially with SU.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I really like this trend of guest anime studios/animators in Cartoon Network shows. First we had Masaaki Yuasa's wonderful spin on Adventure Time, then we had Studio 40C's work on The Fury episode of Gumball, now we have Studio Trigger's collaboration for Garnet's song in this latest episode. Hope to see more of these, especially with SU.
I loved how we got a sweet little musical number about Stevonnie needing to find balance, followed by
Steven panicking during training over the enemies he wanted to help and almost getting him & Connie killed in the process.

And how 'bout the episode before that, where we got to see a little more of the origin of Beach City and its founder? Not to mention his interaction with Rose and the Crystal Gems.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Wow, I just finished watching the most recent episode and all I can say is, that scene with Ruby and Saphire may have been one the most beautiful scenes i've ever seen on TV. I almost cried watching it (mind you, that's probably mostly because i'm tired but...) I think I have a new favorite SU song!

Also, wow this episode shows us just how much internal conflict Steven has to deal with. The overall message of people coping differently was handled very well.

And can you imagine how ticked off Connie's strict overprotective parents must've been by the fact that she broke that kids' arm.

And speaking of the kid, wasn't it a bit odd seeing another kid on the show besides Steven, Connie, Petey or Onion. I don't know why but, it just kind of caught me off guard.

And how 'bout the episode before that, where we got to see a little more of the origin of Beach City and its founder? Not to mention his interaction with Rose and the Crystal Gems.
I wonder what was going on with Rose's army of lions, not only were they lions but they seemed like regular earth lions instead of her lion that Steven currently has.

Last edited:

mr3urious

Reaction score
We get some much-needed backstory from Mr. Smiley this time, like how he used to be a comedian (nice actor allusion there) as part of a duo with a chronically-depressed partner. I love how everyone was fooled by Steven's playing of the fortune-telling machine, including those who know him.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Ooooh, Pearl's got a girlfriend! I can't wait to see where this goes! :smile: