The Old Cartoon Network Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the subject of Dexter, while things can be said about the post Genndy episodes, I have a special place in my heart for the episode with Fred and Mar-10. It's almost as if it were a backdoor pilot to the show they should have had instead of the last season of Dexter's Lab. I totally would have watched more adventures with the three robots (including the third one that didn't have any lines or a name...the floating one).

But at least we got this great scene out of it...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Come to think of it, Dexter frequently did musical numbers:
Not to mention there was that one episode that was done entirely as an opera.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Okay, so, I wasn't exactly sure which thread to put this in because it's from the Nickelodeon podcast, but it's an interview with Lauren Faust who has never even worked on any Nick shows. :

Come to think of it, Dexter frequently did musical numbers:
Not to mention there was that one episode that was done entirely as an opera.
I think the one with Paul Williams is the episode that I remember the most out of all of them from when I was little. I still get that song stuck in my head every so often.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's another Japanese Cartoon Network promo

I really love these Japanese animated bits with American cartoons animated to not look Japanese, but still having their distinct stamp on it.

Plus, unlike the 1980's Japanese Flintstones commercials, these are well animated.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Drtooth has often mentioned how he thinks C&C was a stupid show, and I've often disagreed, because I feel that as an adult and having a better understanding of the humor that it was actually a pretty smart and well-written show . . . for the most part. Thinking back on it, there were a number of episodes, particularly from the last season that were pretty bizarre; I've been thinking about one in particular today and realized there's some parallels between it and SST:

Cow finds a monster in her closet and they quickly become the best of friends - much like how Big Bird discovered Snuffy and they quickly became the best of the friends.

Cow tries telling the others about Mr. Monster, but they don't believe her because they can't see him and he must therefore be a figment of her imagination - very much like how Big Bird tried to convince the adults Snuffy was real, but they always missed him and dismissed him as being his imaginary friend.

Mom and Dad eventually discover Mr. Monster for themselves and realize that he is real - much like how the adults eventually saw Snuffy and realized that he was real . . .

But then Mom and Dad, out of their own irrational fears, tell Cow she can't be friends with Mr. Monster anymore, and force her to banish him back to the closet, which breaks both of their hearts - this is kind of similar to how Big Bird is finally convinced by the adults that Snuffy really is imaginary and they can't be friends anymore, causing them to cry on each other.

The big twist is that Chicken then discovers Mr. Monster in another closet (which is odd, because earlier, even Chicken couldn't see him) and they end up becoming friends instead since Cow decides that Mom and Dad were right all along that he never existed (which makes him sad).

But like I said, what was really weird is that Mr. Monster was somehow like a Gazoo in that apparently only Cow could see him: when she gets ice cream for both of them, the ice cream man can't see him; when they play jump rope and Chicken, Flem, and Earl watch, they can't see him; but then Mom and Dad saw him, yet Chicken still couldn't . . . but then, Chicken finds him in another closet. I think the writers couldn't make up their minds as to whether Mr. Monster could be seen or not.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One of the sad things about being an adult is you find yourself questioning things you didn't even give any thought to as a kid.

Today, I was thinking about the WAC short HARD LUCK DUCK (mainly because I was thinking about the characters Brad Garrett voiced in the 90s, and Harley Gator was one of them) . . . Harley's head is completely hollowed-out, and Hard Luck Duck lives up in Harley's skull, where it's completely furnished, and even has electricity.

How? Why?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I found some of the Cartoon Gang bumpers, where kids discuss cartoons. And I've seen that there's at least two where they discuss Nickelodeon cartoons.

I remember seeing the one about Rugrats on TV, felt it was odd even back then that they'd discuss it on Cartoon Network.

And then I found one where they discuss Ren and Stimpy.

It's so interesting that Cartoon Network let them talk about cartoons on other channels (though to be fair, the Ren and Stimpy one begins with one of the girls saying that she thinks the show should be taken off the air).

I wonder if they wanted to go for some realism. A real group of kids discussing cartoons would probably talk about any cartoon series or character, regardless of what channel it was on. Maybe they wanted to feel like these were natural discussions as opposed to limiting them to what the channel can show.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Aren't they the ones who were theorizing how Dexter somehow came to affect a pseudo-Russian accent?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Going through one of my old CN (specifically, C&C) tapes yesterday, I'm reminded of the one thing I missed about the original CN.com website: the DOC (Department of Cartoon) section. Remember, you could browse through model sheets, storyboard pages, and production notes of their different shows . . . I'm pretty sure I still have some of the model sheets I printed off the computer lying around somewhere, but I had forgotten about them till I saw an old promo for CN.com.

And I had almost forgotten about what a big deal they made about adding ANIMANIACS in the fall of 1998, so much so that the Warner Brothers (and the Warner Sister, Dot) were infiltrating the promos for other shows, like wanting to use the bathroom while Johnny Bravo was washing his hair, or wanting George Jetson to spot them a few bucks. On that token, why didn't I pick up the DVDs of FREAKAZOID!? I really should have done that, lol. I think of the three Spielberg cartoons, that one was my favorite, with ANIMANIACS in close second. I know both Nick and CN would air TINY TOON ADVENTURES, but I seem to recall Nick giving them more love than CN did.