What sketches scared you as a kid?

Luke kun

Reaction score
Reminds me of a rock star Elmo doll as a young kid. Can't remember, but its got a black jacket. That's all I can tell you. So what happened to your singing Big Bird? Give it to charity, or toss it in the incinerator?
My sis had an Oscar one. Later on she'd put the Little Shop of Horrors soundtrack in it. We got a kick out of watching him sing "Mean Green Motherf--ker from Outer Space".

mariolover

Reaction score
I usually saw the short version of the credits because I was born in 2000 and that's the one that was showing on PBS during my time, although I also recall seeing the long version on Noggin once. I was scared of both versions

Luke kun

Reaction score
Snuffy saving Elmo in KFS2 was pretty creepy, although it was the sneezing at the beginning that gave me Vietnam flashbacks.

Luke kun

Reaction score
My siblings were watching the Alphabet Jungle VHS once and I happened to walk right in at the Soul A segment, the guy's face was on the TV screen and it just creeped me out. Now I love it

Luke kun

Reaction score
Well, for one thing, I LOVED that skit, especially that the villain sounded an AWFUL lot like Sydney Greenstreet (ya know the guy from "The Maltese Falcon" and "Casablanca" with the gravelly voice and funny laugh).
Or maybe Swayzak from Toonami?
hahaha I had that same toy when I was little and used to put Guns N Roses cassettes in his deck and laugh for hours. I was probably 8 years old at the time.
My sister's friend had a little brother with a Teddy Ruxpin. They inserted a Metallica tape into it once, and it proceeded to go on the most violent rampage ever, complete with an exorcist impression with Teddy spinning its head violently, with steam coming out of its neck at the end of the tape. I remember my sister and her friend had to go and buy the little brother a new one
v.....v.....v.....v....v....VEE? :eek:
Hahahahaha lol!
An Agua cartoon where a scary fire monster appears and makes threats in Spanish
Did it look like Swayzak?
A kid in my '71-'72 kindergarten class brought in a copy of this photo one day.
How did they bring it in? There were no cameras BITD
I remember one time having a weird dream about the King of 8. The sketch went on normally, except whenever the king talked, his crown would jump up and down on his head. Pretty weird, huh?
That's how it shoulda went.
None of the sketches gave me nightmares, at least none that I can remember. But, there was one skit that kind of creeped me out. It was the one where Big Bird told Maria that he had a nightmare of possessed feather dusters, and she told him of Cookie Monster's nightmare with possessed cookies. But, this skit did not give me nightmares. It did though leave me with a troubling feeling of "Sesame Street."
I had no idea Maria was the framing device for the singing cookies sketch.
I had a dream once where Bert was missing his entire face and I heard an ominous horn in the dream that I am sure is somewhere in the show. It was just not pleasant.
LOOOOOOOOL! :laugh:
There was one E+B sketch in which Ernie was uncharacteristically malevolent, at least in words.

It was when Ernie was about to show Bert his ice cube collection. Ernie found these beautiful ice cubes, but they were freezing cold. So, Ernie took the ice cubes, put them in a box, and put the box under an electric blanket. Bert asked Ernie if he could see them, knowing full well what the outcome would be. Ernie is shocked to find that the ice cubes had been stolen. When Bert points out that there's water in the box, Ernie takes that as evidence that a fish stole the ice cubes. Finally, Bert explains what happens to ice cubes when you take them out of the fridge. Ernie then concludes that a fish melted his ice cubes.

"AND WHEN I CATCH THAT FISH, I'LL TEAR HIM FIN FROM FIN! Oh wait till I get hold of him!"

Bert bemusedly adds "Go get 'em, Ernie."
I need to see this
Wow! I forgot about that particular clip, it freaked me out as a kid as well. One scary clip I vaguely recall was an animated girl looking at a wall (I think it dealt with imagination) and she imagines the cracks on the wall turning into a monster. That personally was the mother of all the scary Sesame Street sketches. I think there was a female voiceover also, very early 70's.
I've seen that!
Elmo is pretty scary too.. LOL!
I AGREE! HAHAHA
* (Very vague to my memory but) The skit with a girl near cracks on a wall and she imagines the cracks turning into a monster.
I love that one
When N' Sync appeared on the show I ran out of the room screaming. :big_grin:
ME TOO
THE BIG WALL CRACKING (animation)
I've seen it and I love it
Still though, not nearly as scary as the cartoon with the talking crack in the wall. That still haunts me.
Namowal mentioned this on her blog
A bunch of kids are swimming in a pool (music is playing in the background), suddenly the music changes to the Jaws theme music, something is floating through the water, the kids get scared, and it's only to show us the letter of the day, in the pool is! That was scary to me.
"The letter still looks fake."
Excuse me, Captain Vegetable; here's a dictionary. Go look up "perspective."
WHOA!!! I'd never seen that"B" sketch w/Kermit & BDM before today.What were they thinking??:eek:
I'm pretty sure that's what James Rolfe would say
The feminist sketch of there's nothing we women can't do ends with the suggestion that women can even go to the moon. Interesting note just before the woman takes off for the moon a gruff male voice can be heard saying "You tell 'em Alice!" this is obviously an ironic homage to the character Ralph Kramden who would today be viewed as somewhat of a male chauvinist :mad:
"You tell 'em, Alice Margatroid!"
I was a frail child and viruses terrified me
Swayzak terrified you? Well he was a computer virus
This didn't have puppets at all but it was on sesame street. It's a montage of weird toys and robots
lots of the songs creeped me out like alphabet jungle as well but the song is this video haunts me
Reminds me of the "Rockit" music video.
Oh yeah- not Muppet-related, but "Interplanet Janet" from Schoolhouse Rock used to upset me, simply because she was a human head and some angel wings grafted onto a rocket. Too much blurring of alive/not alive for my toddler brain...
I loved that short IMHO
I have never seen the "crack in the wall" clip people have seen (and feared).
I have. It's pretty great.