Behold... the New Teen Titans Cartoon...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel the writer of this crossover gets the girls just a bit better than those who write the PPG series.

Still, I feel real bad for the PPG showrunners. Sure, I can agree the show's not as good as the original, but at least they're trying very hard not to alienate the original's fanbase on purpose. And frankly Chris Recarrdi ruined the original show in the last season and a half of the series far more than the current show runners ever could be accused of. I can see why TTG writers are so prickly with the fanbase of that original series, considering how they are. Then again, let's not forget how butthurt the Timm-iverse fanbase was that it wasn't an exact copy of the Batman TAS/Superman TAS/Justice League universe and did its own thing. And yes, Young Justice is the superior version of those kinds of characters (and heheh it isn't in the Timmverse either), but I always felt the original series was fun and deeper than it needed to be.

My only issue with the crossover was that it was too short. It definitely deserved a full half hour.

As for the shows, TTG is exactly the show it wants to be, and doesn't care about the show it needs to be and in the end it works for them. PPG isn't the show it needs to be because it's only a season in and it's trying to find the balance between the original series and its own original voice. In other words, TTG just doesn't care about those who don't like it and it knows it has its fans, and that's actually good for the show. PPG couldn't please its fanbase because if they do something slightly different they'll get crap for it, but if they do something exactly the same, they'll get crap for not being as good as when they did it in the first place. TTG is a very confident series, PPG isn't.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The Titans parodied The Goonies in the latest episode, especially all the ridiculous tropes it used. Well, at least they went on an actual adventure rather than hang around the Tower in the living room and kitchen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm impressed that they even referenced the big giant octopus sequence that was cut from the actual movie. These guys may not have actually watched the Teen Titans cartoon, but they sure as heck watched everything else. :fanatic:

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I'm impressed that they even referenced the big giant octopus sequence that was cut from the actual movie. These guys may not have actually watched the Teen Titans cartoon, but they sure as heck watched everything else. :fanatic:
They never meant it when they said they never watched the 2003 Teen Titans series. They were only joking, just like they and the voice actors frequently do when being interviewed about the show or doing Comic Con panels about it.

Even if that were true, for all we know, they could've watched more and more of the previous show in the years following TTG's 2013 premiere.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The writers for the show were based in the sadly cancelled CN Mad series. A show, mind you, deserved the title of "Mad" more than MadTV at least in terms of actually resembling the magazine. And that's where the incredibly detailed references to other things comes in. To say that it is true that they didn't watch the original '03 series, that seems to be a reasonable explanation of why the show does its own thing instead of parodying/referencing the previous series. And while I kinda wish they would have done more Teen Titans mythology gag stuff, I certainly feel they know what kind of show they want to do and what they want to do, and it works for them.

But referencing a scene cut from a movie that's notorious among Goonies fans and making fun of its lack of inclusion was brilliant. You can always tell what they did watch. 20/40/20 Percent with the original animated Transformers movie, having Howlin' Mad Murdoch himself as the voice of the television in an episode referencing the A-Team...seriously, the show won me over entirely in the one where they turn in Silky to the Moth for money they referenced Ducktales.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow.

That was subversive. And not too subtle. Considering the fact that in Regular Show, the owner of Steak me Amadeus shot the robot criminals that took over his restaurant over them denouncing a college education. Somehow, I really respect TTG for going there and ripping mainstream colleges and student loans a new one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really liked this one. To anyone who grew up with Apple II computer games in grade school, they'll know how mindlessly boring these things really were. Especially Oregon Trail, punctuated by Robin who bemoans the fact the hunting and rafting are the only fun parts of the game.

mr3urious

Reaction score
That was certainly a more fun episode thanks to all the references to that infamous computer game. Would have liked to see Robin write "peperony and chease" on one of the tombstones, but oh well.