The closing themes of Sesame Street

ZootSaxPlayer

Reaction score
Actually the closing for Season 33 (2002) is shorter than Season 32's version but longer than the really short version used for seasons 34-37.

mariolover

Reaction score
I remember something that scared the crap out of me once.

It was 1999 (perhaps 1997?), and I was watching SS. So the Calypso-era closing credits played (the Dancing City one) and the CTW notice played with Big Bird saying "toodle-oo". Then the funding credits played. Rather than what I was used to during that time, the voiceover was different. It was this deep voice that sounded like Mewtwo from Pokemon The First Movie. The voice said "Funding for Sesame Street is brought to you by..." and I ran away screaming. But I did come back to watch the Discovery Zone and Spaghettios credits. After that, the CPB logo and Viewers Like You appeared and 'Mewtwo' said "Sesame Street was also brought to you by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and Viewers Like You." The PBS Kids P-Pals logo played after that (this was before Dash & Dot) and I ran away screaming again.

Did anyone else expect the 1997/1999-era funding voiceover but wind up with a voice that sounded like Mewtwo from Pokemon The First Movie?
Actually, what happened on season 30 episodes (and late 1999 season 29 reruns, plastering the coming soon bumper), was that after the show, after Big Bird says "Toodle-oo!", the curtain closed over Big Bird and the Sesame Street sign flew down onto the center of the curtain, then Gordon said "Funding For Sesame Street Is Provided By The Annual Financial Support of PBS Viewers Like You", and as he's saying that, the Sesame Street sign on the curtain slides over to the left to make room for the Viewers Like You text. Then the screen collapses, then the Discovery Zone funding plug plays (Toysmart.com and Looksmart.com plugs are shown instead for 1999 reruns of Season 29), then CTW 1997, then PBS P-Pals 1993. Before the show, the viewers like you tag (in a different font than at the end of the show), is instead shown on a purple background below the Sesame Street sign (shown on the top of the screen this time), with the text "ABC" moving left horizontally across the top of the screen in fat letters in a slightly lighter shade of purple than the background, and the text "123" moving right horizontally across the bottom of the screen, and clips of the show inside of frames flying diagonally across the screen. There is no Spaghettios funding plug, so you probably just got your memories mixed up with season 33, because Spaghettios sponsored that season

Last edited:

mariolover

Reaction score
Although on Sprout, Noggin, and Nick Jr. UK airings of Season 30 episodes, they cut off the Viewers Like You tag at the end. This is because those networks never showed PBS corporate sponsors because they didn't want to promote a channel that isn't even related to them. On Sprout airings, right after the Sesame Street sign flies onto the curtain, it makes a jarring cut to the Sesame Workshop logo. On Noggin airings, it cuts to a message that says "Sesame Street Was Originally Produced For The Public Broadcasting System" right before the curtain would normally appear, and on Nick Jr. UK airings, it would simply fade out right before the announcer would normally start speaking. (although early Sprout airings of those episodes had the Viewers Like You tag tacked on by accident)

ZootSaxPlayer

Reaction score
Although on Sprout, Noggin, and Nick Jr. UK airings of Season 30 episodes, they cut off the Viewers Like You tag at the end. This is because those networks never showed PBS corporate sponsors because they didn't want to promote a channel that isn't even related to them. On Sprout airings, right after the Sesame Street sign flies onto the curtain, it makes a jarring cut to the Sesame Workshop logo. On Noggin airings, it cuts to a message that says "Sesame Street Was Originally Produced For The Public Broadcasting System" right before the curtain would normally appear, and on Nick Jr. UK airings, it would simply fade out right before the announcer would normally start speaking. (although early Sprout airings of those episodes had the Viewers Like You tag tacked on by accident)
Actually, several Sprout airings also had most season 30 episodes end with the screen fading to black right after Big Bird says "Toodle-oo" and before the Sesame Street logo flies onto the curtain. Plus, I do remember two episodes (specifically #3797 and #3816) having the Viewers Like You tag by mistake. For episode #3797, it was shown when the episode was featured on the Comcast On-Demand edition, whereas the live airings cut it out. But interestingly, for episode #3816, it was the other way around.

mariolover

Reaction score
Well, some Season 30 episodes on sprout had the curtain cut to the Sesame Workshop logo. Maybe some had the fade to black rather than the cut, but some of them had the cut instead. I remember seeing them and they were that way. Here is an example:

ZootSaxPlayer

Reaction score
Well, some Season 30 episodes on sprout had the curtain cut to the Sesame Workshop logo. Maybe some had the fade to black rather than the cut, but some of them had the cut instead. I remember seeing them and they were that way. Here is an example:
Yes, I do remember seeing that one as well :smile:

By the way, someone also (and finally) uploaded the Season 30 "Viewers Like You" tag (and Discovery Zone bumpers) to YouTube:

And here's the 1999 fundings to Season 29 reruns as well:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Yes, I do remember seeing that one as well :smile:

By the way, someone also (and finally) uploaded the Season 30 "Viewers Like You" tag (and Discovery Zone bumpers) to YouTube:

And here's the 1999 fundings to Season 29 reruns as well:
Thanks for finding these! :big_grin:

mariolover

Reaction score
I can't remember the closing credits to Season 33 (2002), were they the short ones or the ones from Season 32 in 2001. I know they showed it every Friday!
The closing credits for Season 33 were slightly shortened, but not as short as the ones from season 34. Here is a video of the credits from Season 33: