Why did Sesame Street cast members leave?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
This is something I think about quite often. So many actors have left the show over the years, yet aside from a few like Sonia Manzano, Northern Calloway and a few others, we really don't know the reasons behind most of their departures.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think, if I'm not mistaken, Carlo Alban left because his family was in the country illegally, and they wer afraid that the exposure could garner some unwanted attention. I seem to recall somebody posting a link to an interview about that a few years ago.

I've been curious about David L. Smyrl's departure, considering there was no on-screen explanation about what happened to Mr. Handford, and all SW.org says is that he simply sold the store to Alan - because he otherwise said he enjoyed being on the show. But then again, in the 40 years book, Alan mentions that when auditioning new storekeepers for Hooper's, they were specifically looking for somebody younger, as opposed to the grandfatherly types who were auditioning, maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know.

Didn't Linda Bove mention she was simply ready to move on beyond SST?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Didn't Linda Bove mention she was simply ready to move on beyond SST?
Also Bob Mcgrath said at the NJ event that it was also the shorter amount episodes each season as well.

Censored

Reaction score
But then again, in the 40 years book, Alan mentions that when auditioning new storekeepers for Hooper's, they were specifically looking for somebody younger, as opposed to the grandfatherly types who were auditioning, maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know.
The beginning of the end.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
David Smyrl was one i've wondered about for a long time. They never even explained what happened to his character. It was just one episode he was their and the next episode Hooper's had a new owner. I also kind of wonder about the original actor who portrayed Mr. Handford, Leonard Jackson, he was only their for one season. I wonder if he didn't test well with kids.

Same with Hal Miller who only played Gordon for two seasons. We know that Matt left because he was never meant to be a permanent cast member anyways and he mainly did writing/producing. The original Gordon from the test pilots scared kids. But what happened to Hal Miller?

As for a few others, we know or at least can assume Alaina Reed(Olivia) left because she was on a sitcom at the time. Tarah left because her family moved to Pennsylvania and it became harder and harder for them to go back and fourth to film the show. The Around the Corner crowd Ruthie, Celina, Lexine etc were let go because their were too many characters and also probably because of the reduced amount of episodes per season and budget.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Well with Ruthie she was kind of more of an insert character that stayed around after ATC in seasons 30 till 32.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
So was Mr. Hanford.
Just because they were looking for someone younger when they cast Alan, that doesn't mean they let David Smyrl go because of his age. It could just be that he left on his own terms and the producers simply decided to try something different.

Censored

Reaction score
Just because they were looking for someone younger when they cast Alan, that doesn't mean they let David Smyrl go because of his age. It could just be that he left on his own terms and the producers simply decided to try something different.
Maybe. Maybe not.