Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Hopefully, it's at least better, more fluid flash.
I sure hope they can. I've seen some clips of the stuff they do, and they provide a good amount of life to things in their productions.

Honestly, I can't understand how and why people were so sure that the show would go back to traditional animation - in this day and age, that would make no sense.
With cels, of course it wouldn't make sense. But now that cels have been obsolete since the late '90s and digital inking & painting have made the process a lot cheaper, I don't see how much more expensive it would be. Methinks studios are just looking for any excuse to cut corners.

Drtooth

Reaction score
With cels, of course it wouldn't make sense. But now that cels have been obsolete since the late '90s and digital inking & painting have made the process a lot cheaper, I don't see how much more expensive it would be. Methinks studios are just looking for any excuse to cut corners.
I'm seeing more digitally animated cartoons with frame rates so fluid that they actually blow traditional animation out of the water. I'm impressed by how Wander over Yonder Looked, and I love the movement of The Loud House. The new Danger Mouse actually has more movement in digital than it did in the original. Though to be fair the original had like 5 people working on the show. Flash/Toon Boom can be a tool to make a cartoon look great, provided you use the short cuts as tools and not rely on them for everything. Lots of various indie animations on the internet look great with the same equipment as a major television studio has. If Arthur can look at least as good as Nature Cat, I'd be happy with it.

9 Studio is one of the motion tweeny companies. Not as bad as all those awful European preschool shows you see on qubo. Especially not as bad as Gofrette, or as I like to call it "eye poison," that makes Problem Solverz look like a poster of fluffy kittens sitting on clouds. Or even Cookie Jar's other shows that used the animation. The awful Doodlebops show no one asked for and the disappointing Hooray for Huckle. I still am surprised they didn't switch over to the same flat Flash animation they used for those shows before. But 9 Story's stuff looks nice when the artwork is flattered by that animation. Jacob Two-Two, WildKratts, Peg + Cat. That animation works with that style. But with Arthur, it looks flat and wrong. And things (ears, mostly) that never moved before now bobbed in the wind to give movement that didn't need to be there. And the opening scene of "Muffy Takes the Wheel" where Grandma Thora is playing computer games has some embarrassing animation.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Interesting thing about ARTHUR is that according to Greg Bailey, though the show did used to be hand-drawn and animated, it was always colored digitally (well, the animation itself, that is, we know the backgrounds and layouts were hand-painted), but it must be a chore having to work around the disjointed outlines when coloring.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow. They're clearly so out of ideas after all these years they're actually completely recycling an episode title for the upcoming season.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
With Arthur's sudden resurgence of popularity thanks to the internet, it's a shame they didn't do anything for the show's 20th anniversary. It would've been the perfect time, sell all the nostalgic merchandise and DVDs while the original audience is still in their 20s. Not to mention, Arthur is such a beloved and influential series, I wish they had at least released the first few seasons somewhere considering how hard it is to find those episodes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
With Arthur's sudden resurgence of popularity thanks to the internet, it's a shame they didn't do anything for the show's 20th anniversary.
Well, we are getting this TV movie about D.W.'s fifth birthday (which again, retcons her last fifth birthday) this year, so I suppose that's something.

But yeah, a lot of people have been asking for DVD sets of older episodes and seasons.