Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

D'Snowth

Reaction score

So, despite them still using 9 Story's models (though they must have designed Francine, because she somehow looks even more hideously off-model), the animation appears to be a lot smoother and more fluid. I even like how convincing the blushing looks now - that was something they were never good with, even in the days of hand animation.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score

So, despite them still using 9 Story's models (though they must have designed Francine, because she somehow looks even more hideously off-model), the animation appears to be a lot smoother and more fluid. I even like how convincing the blushing looks now - that was something they were never good with, even in the days of hand animation.

Marc:"Two decades is a long time. We must be doing something right."

I can't for the life of me figure out what that is, Marc.

Arthur: "Do you think we'll be on the air for another 20 years?"

I hope not.

Drtooth

Reaction score
When it comes to Flash animation (or flash-like programs used for animation) what I really can't stand is how head turns are so...rigid if they even bother to use them because they only design head libraries at 1/4th intervals. Where as hand drawn animation allows for more head angles, making the head turns look fluid and realistic. Seems that they're starting to do a better job with head movements with this clip.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Marc:"Two decades is a long time. We must be doing something right."

I can't for the life of me figure out what that is, Marc.

Arthur: "Do you think we'll be on the air for another 20 years?"

I hope not.
Wow. Scathing, yet hilarious. :laugh:

When it comes to Flash animation (or flash-like programs used for animation) what I really can't stand is how head turns are so...rigid if they even bother to use them because they only design head libraries at 1/4th intervals.
Makes me think of how they gave Muffy a new quarter interval look for certain angles:

I think they had done the same for Francine, but again, it just made her look even more off-model.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I've already missed the Season 20 premiere . . . because I'm still not quite used it being on at 3:00 instead of 4:00.

Mr Snrub

Reaction score
*Did they reanimate the intro? It looks kinda less animated, if that makes sense
*OH GOD, ARTHUR'S VOICE
*Love Ducks!
*Hey, a new backstory that kinda works!
*They're in 4th grade now. Don't cop out of a copout
*Yeah. Right. Buster and Arthur never meet, and Arthur ends up a Tough Customer with a Jersey accent. Sure.
*Jack of Jack's Joke Shop?
*That comic book guy from that one episode?
*"Let's go smell some goats!"
*Honestly? For a kinda cliche plot like that, it was good. Not really much of a resolution, but still good
*Hey, Arthur still plays the piano!
*TFW you'll never have a friend like Buster
*"Making us play against robots is unfair!"
*I could complain that Arthur's diorama being terrible and Buster's being great goes against past episodes, but honestly, if they go the right way with this plot, it works
*Uncle Fred!
*Francine looks off model as heck

Didn't take as many comments as during the first segment, but other than a few things (Arthur blowing up at Buster after the recital), this was handled quite well, especially for a topic that not many other kids shows handle. (and the ones that do, do it as more of a joke)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I caught the first new episode. The animation is better, but it's all about subtly. The frame rate seems to have been taken down a bit, making it look more like an animated cartoon series's usual frame rates. Little things like head turns and expressions have improved, but again, subtly. I'd say a good frame of reference is Martha Speaks. And there seems to be a lot more movement, making them less stiff. It's slightly better and more in line with other Flash animated shows. There's an awkwardness in the previous seasons that seems to have faded away here. I can't put my finger on it, but things look a lot less...stiff and screwed up. It's still no hand drawn digital, but at least its a little more fluid.

And I really liked the B episode about Buster trying to avoid conflict with Arthur. That's the kind of story I like to see. Something realistic and actually what kids, heck people in general have to deal with. No Kate and Pal going on adventures with bad Dr. Who parodies, no songs about countries. Actual things that actual humans have to actually deal with. Friends will lie to spare feelings because they know if they were honest, they couldn't win anyway. The best part is when Arthur becomes offended and annoyed by Busters honesty, when he himself was the one who asked for it. Wow. A relatable episode, rather than a kiddy pleasing adventure storyline.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was extremely disappointed with "Fern's Flights of Fancy." The descriptions said that Fern was going to give up writing because she couldn't take the criticism she got over her latest story, and that's not what happened at all: Fern ended up giving up writing because . . . she didn't win a content. How is that criticism? Nobody even told her her story was bad, or that they didn't like it, her story just simply didn't win a contest, so she decides to be a sore loser and not write anymore. That made Fern less of a sympathetic figure in the episode. I really think the story would have played out a whole lot better if it was like the descriptions said: if somebody gave Fern negative feedback about her story, it hurting her feelings, and prompting her to give up writing because of it - that would have been a much better scenario, and would probably paint Fern in a more sympathetic light. But nope. So, as I said, really disappointed.

"Cereal," despite it's really simplistic and vague title was . . . interesting, to say the least. Definitely a throw-back to the whole snowball incident with D.W. in the past, only this time involving her accusing Arthur stealing her cereal. Buster building a whole podcast around the incident was interesting, especially as we see even Buster is starting to suspect Arthur being the culprit, since evidence was pointing to him . . . that was a subtle throwback to when he tried to figure out what happened to the quarters Arthur left with Mrs. MacGrady, and even contemplating if Arthur really was responsible. Good episode, but not exactly spectacular.