The Nicktoon Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'll give them this. Unlike the big Hollywood live action versions, at least they got the concept right. Though seeing that Daran Norris essentially looks like Timmy's Dad, his performances pretty much make these movies hundreds of times better than they could have been. And at least they cast someone who can do a decent Denzel Crocker impersonation. Theatrical, big name cartoon translations could only dream of casting that exact. Need I say Jason Lee's eagerness to not be there in the Chipmunks movies?
Plots still suck, though.
Yeah, I agree. How could you get a better person to play Timmy's dad than the actual voice of Timmy's dad. Crocker was alright, I guess. But besides they boring/stupid plot, one thing I didn't like about the movie was Tootie. Tootie wasn't even remotely like herself and completely boring. I know she was supposed to have grown out of her awkward, stalker-ish-ness, but still, it would've been nice if the writers let her be at least a little awkward, maybe slightly nerdy. Maybe given her some kind of quirk or insecurity from being bullied by her terrible sister. But instead they just made her the token female that's on basically every kid show or movie. They completely ruined her character.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Also a lot of the secondary characters don't even get mention like Mark Chang, Crimson Chin, Trixie, Darth Laser, and to lesser extent to Vicky

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mark Chang would have cost more money. Heck, they got Scott Baio to play human Foop. Clearly low budget affairs.

And still a heck of a lot nicer than what Disney did to Inspector Gadget. Even the cheapquel of that film was a better film. And need I mention how the execs at Nick ruined the Avatar movie and hoped everyone would just pin the blame on how Shamalan is a terrible director who got lucky three times?

There are things I like about the concepts of the first movie at least. Having Jorgen just break down and say "screw it" and let Timmy keep his fairies as long as he doesn't wish for anything himself, punctuated by the fact that if all of Timmy's wishes were undone, Fairy World would have been screwed. And, despite the illogical of how it happened in the third movie, I like the concept of them saying "heck with it" and just making Timmy a Fairy himself. Though now 20 something Tootie is living with an immortal that identifies as a little boy as a romantic interest. Ew.

Though I have to admit, I can forgive what they did to Tootie because, well... not all awkward girls grow up to be awkward adults. And it's kinda obvious they hinted at the fact they get together at the end of Channel Chasers, as one of Timmy's Kids does kinda look like her. Though, yeah, everything else contradicts that superior animated movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A little bit back I posted under the "learn something every day" thread.

Before he created Angry Beavers, Mitch Schauer was executive producer of the ABC cartoon Wild West C.O.W.Boys of Moo Mesa, and indeed the show was produced by the same production company. For those who don't remember, C.O.W. Boys was an anthro western cartoon based on creations of Ryan Brown. I'd say the series is pretty much like Wild West Talespin. Being ABC, they toned down anything they possibly could to the point where all guns were cartoon based, shot snakes or stars or even mini-shovels because...you know, you can buy a freaking BB Gun for a kid, but don't you dare show one in fiction.

Now, this would be just a coincidence otherwise, but I have a sneaky feeling Mitch's tenure on that show was the reason there was an episode of Angry Beavers that took place in the west called "The Legend of Kid Friendly"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Back to the subject of FOP, they finally showed more of this season this and next week. I'm...ehhhhh I guess? I think the real problem is they're stuck in a huge Crocker rut. There are so many other of their villains in the show, and it just feels like they're just using him way too much this season. Vicky didn't even appear yet, and I really want to see a match-up between her and Chloe. Seems a lot of episodes this week were basically to introduce the new character to other characters (minus Poof and Sparky, of course). Mark Chang made a welcome comeback to the show. Foop managed to get one in, and even Dark Laser got in an appearance. Other than that, I really don't like how this season's been the Timmy, Chloe, and Crocker show. Even Timmy's Dad isn't appearing as much.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They clearly can do more with Foop than they can Poof. Don't see why they didn't have a single Poof and Foop at Fairy School episode so far this season. Those have been more interesting than the Timmy aspect of the show.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Oh, and I forgot to mention this last night but, I found a video of Butch Hartman drawing various modern cartoon characters, such as Steven Universe and Dipper from Gravity Falls in the FOP style:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed about Hey Arnold (which I had thought about putting in the "you know what?" thread): The show has two different characters named Robert who were never referred to directly by name.

One Robert was a blonde boy with glasses and a green shirt. The only time his name was mentioned was in the episode Benchwarmer, where the coach refers to each player by name, but it's not made clear who is who, and I think the name also appears on a board featuring the players names (but not listing their shirt numbers). And for some reason, his name doesn't appear in the credits for the few episodes where he has dialogue.

And then Robert is clearly the first name of Mr. Simmons. In Arnold's Thanksgiving, everybody in the play turns out to have the same name as the people spending Thanksgiving with Mr. Simmons, with Robert, the lead, being the only one not directly mentioned by name at Simmons' house. It is weird that none of his guests refer to him by first name, not even his mother. They just don't refer to him by name.