Courage the Cowardly Dog returning?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Must be for nostalgia, because Dilly said Courage could never sell merchandise back in the day because he was pink, and in a boy-dominated market, a pink dog wouldn't sell.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
It is a bit odd. At this point I think I see more Courage shirts then I do for shows like Dexter or the PPG. However, I do very much appreciate JC Penny's selection. I actually did get a Courage shirt a few months ago during one of their sales. It was hard to choose a shirt though, because they also had some "Hey Arnold!" and Bob's Burgers shirts that I really wanted.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Must be for nostalgia, because Dilly said Courage could never sell merchandise back in the day because he was pink, and in a boy-dominated market, a pink dog wouldn't sell.
They never really made adult t-shirts of at the moment kid's show back when the show was around. Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain I did see a fair amount of, though that's in part with WB studio stores being a thing when they were on. Maybe there were some Ren and Stimpy shirts, but that wasn't exactly a thing back in the 90's. Nostalgic T-shirts, however... big with Gen X, especially if they were Schoolhouse Rock related.

Now I'm seeing both current and retro T-shirts with cartoons on them. Nick certainly has put everything on a shirt, even that crap series Rocket Power. CN has been doing both retro and current for a while now, seemingly starting with Chowder. But unfortunately, they don't really tap the market like Nick did. There was a line of Johnny Bravo, PPG, and Dexter shirts at Hot Topic a few years back, but it never went beyond that. I'm surprised not only by the fact they have new Courage Shirts while ignoring most of the other classic CN shows, but the fact the shirt has one of those unique logo tags. You know, those cardboard little hang tags that some T-shirts get. And it was uniquely a Courage logo instead of just a CN logo.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since the DVDs were Vanilla Editions, Dilly will be posting an audio commentary for the King Ramses episode on the Stretch Films YouTube Channel, you just have to play your own copy of the episode and sync it with the commentary.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After getting Season 4 on DVD, I had nearly forgotten just how epic a lot of these episodes were this season - particularly the last few of them.

But, I also forgot how controversial some of them were. "The Mask" aside, I remember "Windmill Vandals" was perhaps the scariest and most unsettling episode of the series . . . it certainly the only episode I can remember seeing that gave me the willies. And that "Uncommon Cold" episode? I didn't realize it as a kid, but danged if there isn't some racial undertones going on there with those slugs. Feels like since they knew this was the last season, they were trying to push the envelope a little bit.

Oh, and apparently somebody is going to be having a live interview with Dilly tonight, but I don't know who or where - all I know is it'll be live at 11:00 tonight.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's that new interview that was streamed earlier this evening:

Unfortunately, Dilly's audio is so poor, almost everything he says is incoherent, but two things I was able to pick up on is that he's going to try to do future commentaries for Courage, including a special anniversary commentary next month for "A Night at the Katz Motel" and possibly a commentary on "The Chicken from Outer Space." The other thing I picked up on was that his new film GOOSE IN HIGH HEELS is going to be about twenty minutes, which I believe is the longest short he's ever done. I remember he once talked about being apprehensive about doing things that run too long, thus demanded more time from people to watch . . . but I hope he's better at it than I am, lol, as I said before, apparently I'm not good at that, because one eighteen minute experimental film, and I got all kinds of retroactive complaints from people saying that it's too long, too dragged out, and too redundant.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So the Courage J.C. Penney shirt . . . is it an adult shirt, or a kid shirt? Because I got the biggest size they had, and it doesn't fit - I feel like a ten pound ham in a five pound bag; it's clinging to me like a leotard.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's an episode from a series of animated shorts Dilly did for CN and SW back in the 90s, with Kevin Clash voicing the raccoon:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Boy, following Dilly on various different social media outlets is awesome - he's great about interacting with fans, and in fact, I enjoyed comparing our own fictional brands with him yesterday, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Dilly posted his original pitch for Courage on YouTube!

I . . . can't imagine they would buy the show based on this . . . and they apparently didn't (the only response he got from them on this was "it didn't suck"). But somehow, the Jackie Mason-inspired voice Dilly gave Courage was amusing; reminds me of the Aardvark from THE ANT AND THE AARDVARK cartoons.