Let's talk about the Muppets!

JT Yorke

Reaction score
Yes all of you are right. I wonder why Bill did replace him so soon.

I guess because his chef is the closest to jims chef

Last edited:

Grumpo

Reaction score
Muppet Web Rumors - Hit or Myth?

Folks, this is NOT related to any performer debates and differences of opinion going on -- that was settled years ago; and certainly not about trying to throw shade on any Muppet performers, past or present -- each of which is great in their own special way!
There are some things being said around the web lately that i wanted to check out, and settle in my mind once and for all. If somebody can provide actual links or references to articles/episodes/videos/any factual evidence proving or disproving the below, resolving that one way or another would ease my own mind a lot.

1. Jim's Kermit was naughty (?)
The only thing that comes to mind is Joan Rivers interview where Kermit was pretty much pouring buckets of better taste comments to cool things down when deliberately provoked. Frank was occasionally much more risque. I think Brian's comments about Kermit having "a little bit of a naughtiness" that "will shock you and is kind of weird" may be taken somewhat out of proportion, when speaking about Jim's period Muppets.

2. People hated the "new Kermit" in the 90s (?)
Having not been around on Muppet forums at the time, i have only my own feelings to go by. I remember being extremely skeptical and suspicious when going to see TMCC (i haven't seen the tribute appearance until much later), thinking "oh well there is no way anybody can" and then it was "hey" and then "wow" and "i actually believe he's there" and finally "there's hope for the Muppets yet". If there was a public outcry it completely passed me by, both factually and emotionally.

3. There are understudies for the main Muppet characters (?)
From what i heard, Matt is probably the only guy to both perform the characters interchangeably with original performers, and get continuous coaching from Jerry and Caroll while doing it. In both cases it was necessitated by the failing health of the original performer, and Matt himself said in his interview that it is something that better be avoided ([25:40-27:50]). I suppose the closest thing to a Muppet understudies might be the people who are right-handing the characters, because it involves interacting with the main performer on a level that is pretty close to telepathy.

4. Original muppet performers used to entertain themselves by acting out X-rated jokes with main characters behind the scenes (?)
It was strongly denied by Frank, who is certainly not shy of dealing with controversial stuff himself (check out his Death at a Funeral). I think it might be another misinterpreted quote by Brian, who certainly referred to this happening during JHC puppetry workshops.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The only thing that comes to mind is Joan Rivers interview where Kermit was pretty much pouring buckets of better taste comments to cool things down when deliberately provoked. Frank was occasionally much more risque. I think Brian's comments about Kermit having "a little bit of a naughtiness" that "will shock you and is kind of weird" may be taken somewhat out of proportion, when speaking about Jim's period Muppets.
He also once asked Cher if she fools around.

jobi71

Reaction score
Muppet Web Rumors - Hit or Myth?

Folks, this is NOT related to any performer debates and differences of opinion going on -- that was settled years ago; and certainly not about trying to throw shade on any Muppet performers, past or present -- each of which is great in their own special way!
There are some things being said around the web lately that i wanted to check out, and settle in my mind once and for all. If somebody can provide actual links or references to articles/episodes/videos/any factual evidence proving or disproving the below, resolving that one way or another would ease my own mind a lot.

2. People hated the "new Kermit" in the 90s (?)
Having not been around on Muppet forums at the time, i have only my own feelings to go by. I remember being extremely skeptical and suspicious when going to see TMCC (i haven't seen the tribute appearance until much later), thinking "oh well there is no way anybody can" and then it was "hey" and then "wow" and "i actually believe he's there" and finally "there's hope for the Muppets yet". If there was a public outcry it completely passed me by, both factually and emotionally.

3. There are understudies for the main Muppet characters (?)
From what i heard, Matt is probably the only guy to both perform the characters interchangeably with original performers, and get continuous coaching from Jerry and Caroll while doing it. In both cases it was necessitated by the failing health of the original performer, and Matt himself said in his interview that it is something that better be avoided ([25:40-27:50]). I suppose the closest thing to a Muppet understudies might be the people who are right-handing the characters, because it involves interacting with the main performer on a level that is pretty close to telepathy.

4. Original muppet performers used to entertain themselves by acting out X-rated jokes with main characters behind the scenes (?)
It was strongly denied by Frank, who is certainly not shy of dealing with controversial stuff himself (check out his Death at a Funeral). I think it might be another misinterpreted quote by Brian, who certainly referred to this happening during JHC puppetry workshops.
1. Kermit does flirt a lot. Annie Sue and Miss Mousey come to mind as recipients. The backstage plot in Linda Ronstadt's episode presents a pretty realistic version of pining for love. As for naughty? Some of his music hall numbers with Miss Piggy (Waiting at the Church); Miss Mousey (How Could You Believe Me....) have a touch of naughtiness to them. Lydia the Tattooed Lady is a bit naughty as well.

2. I don't know how much backlash there was for Steve when he took over Kermit. I am sure there was some, but there was not the internet to amplify everyone's opinions. I was in college, and I knew that Jim wanted The Muppets and Creature Shop to continue, and I also knew that in order for that to happen a new performer was needed for Kermit. I love Muppet Christmas Carol and I think Steve does a great job.

3. I thought Eric worked with Caroll and also Frank a bit while he was taking on some of their characters. Perhaps not. Aside from right handing performers sometimes have to cover a character if the main performer is occupied with a different character or in Jim or Frank's cases perhaps directing the scene. It may not be an official understudy situation, but it does give the opportunity to work with different characters.

4. I have no info on the X-rated jokes. I would defer to Frank's answer.

Grumpo

Reaction score
1. Kermit does flirt a lot. Annie Sue and Miss Mousey come to mind as recipients. The backstage plot in Linda Ronstadt's episode presents a pretty realistic version of pining for love. As for naughty? Some of his music hall numbers with Miss Piggy (Waiting at the Church); Miss Mousey (How Could You Believe Me....) have a touch of naughtiness to them. Lydia the Tattooed Lady is a bit naughty as well.
So basically it's what you would expect from variety show numbers -- nothing like big naughty Kermit "shocking" people backstage in a "kind of weird" ways i was totally blind to. =) Thank You guys -- my faith in humanity is restored!