The Nicktoon Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't believe that for a second, myself. Probably the other cartoon that may or may not have been finished. But unless they animated it recently, I can't think they'd do anything but give us the same audio only leaks.

Though, if this was to be a trend, I really wish they'd animate the audio only Invader Zim episode and air it on The Splat as well. Can't for the life of me see why they don't want to add Zim to Splat. They air that All Growed Up series sometimes, and Zim predated it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So . . . Gwen Stefani thinks she has what it takes to create an anime-esque animated series? Kind of like how actors and comedians try to write children's books?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't call that show "anime-esque." Maybe if it's DLE, as they barely animate anything.

This feels like a show that's been locked in a closet for 10 years and now finally made it to TV. Right down to the creaky Flash animation. It has the understanding of Japanese culture of a 13 year old (again, from 10 years ago) that watched the dub of Naruto and thinks that makes him an artist. Gwen herself has come under fire for cultural appropriation for her Harajuku Girls, and third time, 10 Years ago. I have to admit, I cringe at the end of the commercial when she says "Super Kah-Wah-eee." Strange, I think it's more appropriate to say "mazui!"

If I may use the 10 years ago thing again this looks like a certain other cartoon that actually featured a Japanese band...only with lamer schtick, less cultural relevance, and much worse animation. Then again, band cartoons always sucked. Hammerman? The Glob awful Beatles cartoon where Ringo is an idiot for no apparent reason? Jeez! If you can't even get the Beatles right...

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's an interview with Arlene Klasky and Paul Germain on how they would shape a hypothetical Rugrats revival.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/08/nicktoons-rugrats-doug-ren-stimpy-reboots

I personally agree with Germain's idea on keeping things somewhat '90s and somewhat timeless, as in no smart devices or anything like that, to allow for more effective storytelling. He also wants the tone of the show to be more like the first three seasons when he was the showrunner, which I'm guessing 50/50 focus on the kids and the adults.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
i like the idea for the Doug reboot, but it sounds more of a adult swim plot , then a Nickelodeon plot. it could work if, Nickelodeon start taking cues from cartoon network, and start airing animated stuff for adults. which i don't think that they would do, because they probably want Nickelodeon to remain an just for kids channel.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Here's an interview with Arlene Klasky and Paul Germain on how they would shape a hypothetical Rugrats revival.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/08/nicktoons-rugrats-doug-ren-stimpy-reboots

I personally agree with Germain's idea on keeping things somewhat '90s and somewhat timeless, as in no smart devices or anything like that, to allow for more effective storytelling. He also wants the tone of the show to be more like the first three seasons when he was the showrunner, which I'm guessing 50/50 focus on the kids and the adults.
In a way, I kind of agree with both of them. While I don't think they should age the characters up at all, like Arlene suggested, I do think there is a lot of story potential with all the ways the babies could possibly wreak havoc and cause trouble for their parents by using modern technology. For instance: How easy it is to buy things over the internet, maybe the babies can end up buying a huge order of things they don't need. And like the article says, there's no doubt Didi would be raising her kids on Lipschitz's baby apps. However, I also agree with Paul, the show definitely started to lose it's way after he left. The show is supposed to be about babies from the point of view of babies with parents also being integral to the story. The Parents were just as interesting often times as the babies and sometimes even more so. They were a lot like real life first time parents, and I think a lot of people can relate to them. But all that started disappear in later years, when the show became a stale copy of Muppet Babies. And you can really tell that Paul is the same guy who created Recess, because that was basically Rugrats, except it was about older kids. Basically Recess is closer to what All Grown Up should have been.

As for the rest of the article: I doubt a Ren & Stimpy special would happen. Like they said, John Kricfalusi doesn't exactly have the greatest relationship with Nickelodeon, or any network for that matter.

Doug, I don't really know, because so much of the show changed after it moved to Disney. I'm just not sure it would work unless it took place earlier on in the show's history.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The pre-Movies Rugrats would be something to strive for. The show went from realistic enough understanding of the grownup world, showing both perspectives for context to childish and cartoony Muppet Babies fantasy territory. And I'm not even going to bother with what was wrong with the All Grown Up series and the even more juvenile "Tales from the Crib" series. Rugrats was never my favorite series, but I appreciate and enjoy what the show was like before the movies turned the show more to pandering to a young audience. If there were a revival, I'd love to see more misunderstandings and less wacky adventures. And I'll disagree to one thing, I'd like to see the Rugrats misunderstand modern concepts.

As for the others... I don't want a Ren and Stimpy revival. Maybe revisit old, abandoned Spumco produced scripts if any still exist. Certainly a kid friendly filter could benefit the series, as the Adult cartoon Party's main flaw was that the getting crap past the radar stuff was more creative than actually showing it. I'd also hate to see a Non-John K series that's as bad as the later run of the original series. How many "let's drink milk from an animal that we don't usually drink milk from" gags can they make?

I'd say the Nicktoons they should revive are the ones that really didn't get much of a chance. I'd love to see them make more El Tigre episodes since they really screwed that one over. And it's a great concept. A character torn between becoming a hero or becoming a villain. And I totally think that a kid friendly version of the original concept for Catscratched can be done.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A while back, I posted somewhere that I wondered if some of Angelica's scenes were meant for Susie, as Angelica wasn't really mean to the babies. I cited the scene where she gives them tips on creating "monster food" in Feeding Hubert, which seemed like she was genuinely helping as opposed to trying to get them in trouble, and in The Mysterious Mr. Friend she shows them the toy she found, unaware that they are scared of it and being confused at their fear, stating she still thinks Mr. Friend is a neat toy without taking joy in the fact that she has a new way of scaring the kids (there's also the fact that Drew and Angelica must have walked over when she found the toy, and Angelica's parents normally drive to Stu and Didi's house). And there was another Angelica moment that I wondered whether it could have been intended for Susie or not, but couldn't remember. But now I do.

In Big People, I wonder if Susie might have been the cop who gave Tommy a ticket. Angelica is good for a cop role, but Tommy wanted the ticket, and the ticket was for Reptar on Ice. Meanwhile, Angelica also had the role of Tommy and Chuckie's boss in that fantasy, so she has two roles in this fantasy, one who's tough but gives Tommy what he really wants, and another who is a mean bad boss.

On a different subject, I've been thinking about a scene recently that I'm trying to remember the episode. There's one time when Didi meets another parents, is surprised to learn that parent reads Lipschitz' books as well, and the parent says "it's my bible". Anybody recall which episode this was?