Old Nick Appreciation Thread

What was your favorite show?

• Total voters

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Sorry, here's the trailer. meant to post it in my previous message:

Cool that they at least still have the original host.

I guess Nick tried to bring back game shows starting around 2009-ish with "Brainsurge" and then a few years later they revived "Figure it Out" but those kinda just disappeared. Also, I guess The Hub had a bunch of kids' game shows, but we all know how that whole channel went.
Do you know if Dee Bradley Baker will return as Olmec?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Sorry, here's the trailer. meant to post it in my previous message:

Cool that they at least still have the original host.

I guess Nick tried to bring back game shows starting around 2009-ish with "Brainsurge" and then a few years later they revived "Figure it Out" but those kinda just disappeared. Also, I guess The Hub had a bunch of kids' game shows, but we all know how that whole channel went.
Huh. That does look a lot more interesting than a generic Indiana Jones type thing. I actually kinda like how they acknowledge the fact that yes it is a gameshow. I may actually check it out if I think about it. Or wait until it inevitably comes on netflix.

And on a side note in regards to the hub gameshows, they weren't very good or interesting :stick_out_tongue:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I may actually check it out if I think about it. Or wait until it inevitably comes on netflix.
Or just watch it on the internet the day after it premieres, because someone will definitely put it up, weather it's technically legal or not :halo:

And on a side note in regards to the hub gameshows, they weren't very good or interesting
That's true, but it was still nice that that they were trying something different. I guess in a lot of ways the Hub was a lot like early Nick.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's something I recently found that I had wanted to see again: The 1993 Slime Time Live. Looking at some YouTube clips, it seems like they had Slime Time other years, I only remember them doing it in Summer/Fall 1993.

This was the first time I remember seeing Rocko. I spotted him during the sequence where they quickly show single-second images of various characters who tell the caller who they have to find and wondered who Rocko was (I don't remember seeing any promos or anything for the show before then, and I had cable for a year and had watched Nickelodeon almost all the time).

I remember only once seeing an instance of the caller having to hear from Rocko, I can't remember who he said to find (I'm guessing either Heffer or Spunky, in fact I think I forgot by the time I watched an episode). Too bad that one's not in this YouTube compilation.

EDIT TO ADD: I must have missed a lot of Rocko stuff. Looking at an episode guide, the first episode I saw ("A Sucker for the Suck-O-Matic"/"Canned") came halfway through the first season, and I've always been sure I watched the show since the moment it premiered. I feel I would have remembered being aware of the show and missing so many episodes before finally seeing it.

Last edited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've thought a few things about Rocko's Modern Life recently.

In I Have No Parents, Rocko and Philbert act surprised when they see that the creator of the Fatheads has the last name Bighead. But it also seems like they had been watching/fans of the show for a while. They're just now noticing the creators name?

In the episode where Rocko decides to write a love letter to his mail carrier, only for Heffer to fill in for her and inform Rocko of Wallace, who they assume is her boyfriend (but ends up being her brother), Heffer ends up giving the letter to Wallace, and then when Wallace is unable to read it, Heffer reads it to him. But the letter was addressed to the mail carrier, not Wallace, so he's committing a federal offense.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Recently I found an old Nick Jr. bumper that I remembered seeing a long time ago and had wanted to find, which turns out to have been part of the Tricky Trousers series, after I happened to find another which fit the style so I searched the term, and it was pretty much the first I saw in search.

While I remember many of the basics - a voice-over was reciting a poem, it was in clay mation, there were common words that had the "ini" sound, and there was a big man walking in the city - most of it was different from what I remembered. I probably didn't see it too often (it aired during Nick Jr. commercial breaks, and I often had to go to school then).

I was thinking that Muscles Linguini was a giant, that he had a more childlike appearance, that we actually saw him at the start of the short (as opposed to only seeing glimpses of his body until we saw him at the very end - and it would have made sense for him to be more of a giant child considering we don't see his whole body until the end), that the voice-over had a somewhat deeper/slower voices (as opposed to a voice I commonly heard in Nickelodeon promos and bumpers), and I thought one of the lines was "as strong as a weenie" (I'm not surprised that line wasn't actually in it).

It is surprising that the character was also shown/mentioned as smoking a cigar, considering this was aired during the children's block.

I wanted to find more info on Tricky Trousers, but so far can't find any online info anywhere (and have only been able to find one other short). I guess since it just aired during commercial breaks I shouldn't be too surprised (it's not like it was as classic as Inside Out Boy or the Pete and Pete shorts).

On an unrelated note, I heard that the reason Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling ended up premiering about two years after planned (after we saw a preview of the special), and on Netflix as opposed to Nick, was because the ratings for Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie were so bad. I think that's a bit ridiculous. While Hey Arnold has a fanbase, I feel Rocko has a bigger fanbase - Static Cling should have aired first.