Possible Muppet Babies Reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Since I can't edit my post... Why not do what Baby Looney Tunes did?
Read that first part of the quote and immediately thought, oh, they're going to make it suuuuuuuck? But I'd hate to agree, but taking the action out of the nursery is the one thing that BLT has over Muppet Babies. It's strange that the Muppet Babies original series is both a series of bottle episodes, but not quite because they imagine new settings. And the concept of them meeting other characters by visiting them sounds solid. That would be a great way to expand the cast, yet not have to have them in every episode throwing off the ensemble cast ratio.

And I'll just take care of this because it's obvious it'll wind up coming to my thoughts on a show that I personally despise but some probably don't, regardless how baffling it is to me.

Ahem.

Muppet Babies is a series that had a soul. If anyone remembers what cartoons were like in the 80s, they were either toy commercials of the action or cutesy type or old cartoons characters with offspring or as babies (following MB's lead), or some other kind of ripoff. I like certain 80's cartoons, and that's another thread for another day. But Muppet Babies really felt like you're watching an animated version of the Muppets as Babies with some tiny alteration. It perfectly fit in with the vibe The Muppets were going through in the 80's without taking too much away from the characters. It was clearly meant as a platform for a preschool-first grader cartoon series that happened to be highly toyetic. The series was the good kind of edutainment that walked the line around actually being entertaining and having pro-social values that weren't preachy and clumsy.

Baby Looney Tunes, however, was meant as a cash in. And for years, it was only a merchandising thing, cashing in off nostalgia from LT characters to provide baby and toddler merchandise. Years later it was made into a TV show, ripping off Muppet Babies down to the Granny being Nanny (and one other tiny advantage BLT has over MB, June Foray...but she really seems unimpressed and bored in this series). Except they forgot that, unlike the Looney Tunes, the Muppets had more emotional range and were able to fit into pro-social values and quieter moments without too much alteration. And they also forgot the original Looney Tunes characters were funny. Also trying to constantly kill each other. Considering this was the era where they canned the actually good Duck Dodgers because Back in Action failed, and we also got Loonatics Unleashed out of it, it was a bad time for LT and the wrong time for a Baby spinoff, especially one far more cynical and inorganic as it was. MB came at a good enough time between projects and just after MTM.

Plus it isn't written nearly as good, almost forgetting how a cartoon is supposed to be entertaining. At least with Muppet Babies there was enough mild peril (even if it was in their heads) to keep the show entertaining and thrilling for the core audience. BLT was all about social messages and educational content that it forgot that edutainment has to have tainment in it as well. And veteran cartoon writers and producers worked on it, making me thing it was WB Executive meddling.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
One thing that confused me about Baby Looney Toons, why the heck did they not put Porky in the central cast. But yeah, I did like how in later seasons of BLT they went out of their daycare and explored. Something that Muppet Babies could totally use, since they have so many possible side characters to get to. And with so many elder characters they could introduce as possible care takers? Tammy? Brewster? Statler and Waldorf? Gramps? Pops? Heck, back in the day, I had an idea that Brewster ran a camp ground and had characters like Baby Bobo and Baby Bean Bunny hanging out there.

It also shows that shows with pigs as main characters will get a baby spinoff. Just be glad we're not getting something like Tiny Toons, the same toon characteristics on hip 90's kids.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing that confused me about Baby Looney Toons, why the heck did they not put Porky in the central cast.
Especially when Petunia Pig was a major recurring character, and she was only in a few shorts (Melissa was only in two, at the time I only knew of one, and doubt I would have got the connection if I hadn't read it online... And there was an interview with somebody from the show who, when talking about her, said that none of the Looney Tunes are too obscure, which I disagree with - what about Buddy?).

When the show was announced, I saw one fan online guess that Porky wouldn't be on because they wouldn't want to offend stutterers. But it seems like there was never any politically correct concerns about the stutter (despite the gag in Back in Action). Porky Pig cartoons were still heavily broadcast, and I think they are still shown regularly when Cartoon Network airs Looney Tunes (though these days whenever I watch LT on CN it seems they only show cartoons with Bugs, Daffy, or Road Runner, but Porky is in a lot of those Daffy cartoons).

Luke kun

Reaction score
Lion Guard looks like it could have been a Disney Afternoon show, and much as I love Timon and Pumbaa's series, this was a more faithful recreation of the movie in cartoon series form.
I guess they want to make the Disney Junior audience more mature...
oh, wait, what's that? Makucha is voiced by Steven Blum?
*looks up, watches on YouTube*
Oh... my... GOD. This is freaking DISNEY JUNIOR.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
That's fantastic! Originally when someone (I think it was Drtooth) proposed that they make a reboot I wasn't too keen on the idea. But now, i'm just happy with any new Muppet series being on TV. I really hope the show is a success.

Also, it looks like the show's going to be CG-animated, which is probably going to bother some people; It doesn't bother me because most of Disney Junior's current shows are computer animated, and they look great!

Oh, and judging by the articles I read, it looks like Rowlf and Scooter will be excluded from the main cast, like some of you speculated.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, it looks like the show's going to be CG-animated, which is probably going to bother some people; It doesn't bother me because most of Disney Junior's current shows are computer animated, and they look great!
Well, at least they look like they spent a lot of money on it, more so than their other shows. They look a whole lot like their Muppet counterparts in MTM! :smile:

And there could still be room for medium-blending in more than just live-action stock footage, kinda like in the episode "The Great Muppet Cartoon Show" where the babies try to make their own cartoons. :smile:

Oh, and judging by the articles I read, it looks like Rowlf and Scooter will be excluded from the main cast, like some of you speculated.
That's the part that disappoints me. Not too broken up over Skeeter getting the boot, but Scooter and Rowlf? Why eliminate those two other than for two less characters needed to render? I really hope this isn't the case right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.