West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
When Avatar 2 does come out, I hope it's nothing like the Robot Chicken parody. That was SO awkward especially the creepy-looking blue monkey singing in a weird tone as the Na'Vi were..........well let's just say "making love" because this is a family forum.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It wasn't ROBOT CHICKEN, but I know there was an animated sex scene parody of AVATAR on YouTube at one point where they apparently use pony tails instead of "soup drinkers."

But, ehh, I hated the first one, so I wasn't too pleased to hear James Cameron saying there was going to be a second and third one - but more than that, I was miffed that, at the time, he was suddenly appointed god of filmmaking, so he was all, "Yeah, so because I'm now top dawg, I hereby decree that all future movies in Hollywood be exclusively 3D." Because, y'know, that was back when 3D was the big moviegoing gimmick at the time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ol' Jimmy Cameron was planning on sequels from the beginning, actually. So I'm not surprised by this news.
I'd be more surprised he's actually following through. This is his Chinese Democracy. Maybe once this thing gets released they'll also give everyone a free Dr. Pepper coupon. Heck, by the time this gets released we deserve a freaking free Crystal Pepsi.

The problem with Avatar is that it's a movie that did great at the box office, but somehow was completely forgotten as soon as the film hit home video. It's like it didn't make a big enough cultural impact, no matter how much money it made. Films that flop in their initial release and then get vindicated by reruns have more of an impact. How many Labyrinth parodies have we seen in cartoons recently? Like 3 or 4 and one well known case of an almost? Labyrinth may have bombed, but it's better remembered than a recentish box office smash. It's like, does anyone care if he actually makes the second and third film?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Do we really NEED another Avatar movie? Honestly I hated the first one. Sure it was pretty, but what the movie had going for it in visuals it lacked in...well...everything else. I thought the overall plot and characters were just really boring and uninteresting (Ferngully did it better, and I didn't really like Ferngully either).

It was pretty, that's about it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'll go along with that. But we definitely, definitely do not need a TOY STORY 4, after 3 already wrapped up the story beautifully; Pixar has lost its credibility for this one.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'll go along with that. But we definitely, definitely do not need a TOY STORY 4, after 3 already wrapped up the story beautifully; Pixar has lost its credibility for this one.
I'll give them the benefit of a doubt and say maybe they wanted to make a TV special for Valentine's Day, but they needed a longer run time, so they chose to make a theatrical film. Plus, Pixar says this will not be an actual TS4 so much as a standalone film, so that's a little more reassuring to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Pixar movie sequels have me mixed. I don't think there was certainly any bad one, and most of the ones they've done so far were ones Disney threatened to do without them if they left. And better yet, the Pixar sequels were far better than the DTV stuff Disney proposed. Monsters University may not have been better than the original, but was used to expand their universe, flesh out the characters more, and to not hurt the heartwarming ending of the original film. The Disney Circle 7 (or 9 or whatever) movie was basically Monsters Inc, but with the roles reversed, and them running around a panicking human world. Toy Story 3 would have been about Buzz being recalled and the unfunny broken toys he'd meet on the way. And I'd assume Finding Nemo 2 would have been "AHHH! Nemo somehow got lost again" instead of expanding Dory's character.

And let us not forget one thing. Pixar has the lower original movies to sequel ratio of most CGI cartoon studios. Sure, their first sequel (Toy Story 2) followed the original with one movie (Bug's Life) in between. And that was pressure from Disney to make a cheap, throwaway DTV title. Instead they treated it like a movie instead of a cash grab, and we got something special. The only other time a sequel followed the other film that closely was Cars 2, but that was a kid's movie anyway. Pixar's allowed to not make a movie that's an emotional roller coaster once in a while. Though Cars 3 has a pliotline to be proud of, unlike the Saturday morning animated series tie in story they used.

Toy Story 4 has me... conflicted isn't even the word. I'd agree it would probably work better as a TV special, and I really think Pixar should be doing more of those and with more characters besides Toy Story. I'm willing to have an open mind about it, even though the movies closed nicely with 3 and the supplemental specials and shorts are more than good enough for the characters.

That said, I think Pixar owes us a Monsters Inc special. Halloween's too on the nose, though.