What sketches scared you as a kid?

Luke kun

Reaction score
The Yip-Yip Martians, totally. "Yip yip yip yip yip yip yip."

If anyone actually watched that Elmopalooza thing, there's a scene with Grover chauffering (sp?) the Sesame Street residents to what I think was Radio City Music Hall. Some how they ended up in Roswell, New Mexico and actually got abducted by the Martians!!! Even though I was ten when I saw that it scared the crap out of me. Still does, actually.
Even better is that Kermit is terrified of them, as seen in the News Flash about Old McDonald. It's funny, because that skit got me writing a story about how me and Kermit go and kick the Martians' arse, even though I am not scared of them, unlike Kermit.

cjd874

Reaction score
Here's an episode plot that some people on the forum have recalled being frightened by. Telly and the Mysterious X...

WereFox

Reaction score
Well, Chicago's a nice lion. He's a vegetarian and likes to play. And I don't fear lions on TV as much as I did when I was a kid. But I don't really like it when Chicago roars really loud. I remember he scared away a bunch of people in the library and tried to pounce on a book Gordon was reading scaring him to death.
Then, what about The Lion King? Did Simba bother you too?

WereFox

Reaction score
I can relate. That episode where Oscar got a nose put on him by the witch, that I mentioned before, actually gave me two weird nightmares. The nose on Oscar skit was fresh in my mind and it somehow triggered a dream about Oscar being turned into a tree (probably mixed in with the Sesame cartoon where a boy got turned into a tree for a year). Anyway, in my dream, Oscar was turned into this big tree that clumped around on Sesame Street. Oscar asks Gordon what happens to trees. Gordon said, "Well, they get chopped down." And on that ominous note, I woke up. I had another bad dream where I was taking a brand new Oscar puppet out of the box, and inside, there was the accessory of a nose to put on him, just like on TV. That's all I remember from that dream. Looking back, it's all pretty silly and laughable, but it sure didn't seem that way then.

Funny though, as much as it bothered me to see Oscar have a nose put on him, it never really bothered me when Ernie took Bert's nose off. It always seemed like it was just a tongue in cheek joke that every once in a while the characters reminded us that they're really just puppets. Besides, you always knew that Bert would get his nose back either on screen or off screen. There was actually a skit where Ernie lost his nose and it seemed a lot more ominous. Ernie and Bert are looking straight ahead into the camera and debating whether they see the "mysterious nose snatcher." Ernie gets right up to the screen, we hear a plucking sound, and he comes back without a nose, now convinced that it was the mysterious nose snatcher. Or "nose sneether" as Ernie pronounces it in a nasal voice after his nose is gone. That seemed more disturbing because it wasn't really clear how Ernie was going to get his nose back.

As for the Count, yes that mailman skit was early on when the Count was much more scary, unlike the silly but harmless eccentric that he would eventually evolve into.
About the nose thing... I think they were breaking the 4th wall. The camera acted like, since Sesame Street is aimed at toddlers, that the child viewer was the nose snatcher. Little kids like to grab things.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Whoa, not that way!
Cute, like as if you would call a normal bird cute!
(but we all know this bird is not normal at all.)
I know! I didn't mean THAT way!!!

BTW, everyone, mind if I bring this to your attention again?

This doesn't scare me at all, and I know what @Drtooth thinks about it and I respect his opinion. IMO, though, it reminds me of ReBoot, especially the sounds, and the guy even reminds me of Bob a little.