"Once Upon a Sesame Street Christmas" to air Friday November 25 on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So see? This is what I've been saying about Netflix all this time: not everybody has Netflix, so what's the point of dumping something onto a platform that only a percentage of people have? I mean, Bill Murray is a huge star, you'd think he could certainly have his own network holiday special like Bubbly Mikey Pizza Crust does every year, rather than just dump it straight to Netflix.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
So see? This is what I've been saying about Netflix all this time: not everybody has Netflix, so what's the point of dumping something onto a platform that only a percentage of people have? I mean, Bill Murray is a huge star, you'd think he could certainly have his own network holiday special like Bubbly Mikey Pizza Crust does every year, rather than just dump it straight to Netflix.
But here's the thing- networks don't always want the things Netflix picks up.
Half the original shows on Netflix wouldn't have been nearly as popular on a network anyway, because, let's face it, networks cancel shows all the time no matter how popular it is. Plus, on a streaming service you don't have to worry about bad ratings due to a bad time slot, because you can just watch it whenever you want. Not to mention creators like streaming because they have far more freedom to make their shows the way they want than they would on a network show. You know how you're always talking about how older shows were better because they were creator driven rather than network driven? Well that's how it is with Netflix, creators get to do what they want with little influence from executives.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yes, not everybody has Netflix or HBO. But enough people do to make it worth the money of making original content.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Not everyone has HBO, so what's the point of dumping popular original shows on it?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Plus, on a streaming service you don't have to worry about bad ratings due to a bad time slot, because you can just watch it whenever you want.
Yeah, but there's something at play: your internet connection. Unless you happen to live in a populated area, or have a decent service, your internet connection may not be reliable or fast enough to handle such. Especially for people out there in rural areas that still use dial-up (yes, believe it or not, dial-up is still a thing).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think PBS should air it this year. That's not fair for people who want to watch it on HBO but don't get the channel. Come on PBS show the special!
The episodes that premiered in January are airing on PBS now. See how fast that time window went? To quote someone from TP: "What a non-issue this was." Yes, I know, waiting for new stuff is frustrating, but you'll get to see it sooner than you think. Let me put things this way:

HBO isn't going to give Sesame all this money and get nothing in return from it; that's not how business works. They want the exclusivity of having this new material first, making them a more marketable service. Putting it out for free at the same time entirely defeats the purpose.

Remember this: HBO was pretty much the only option that would've allowed SW to keep things on PBS; it was a deal-breaker for almost everyone else they reached out to.

I still don't see how people are still complaining about this HBO thing.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed... The HBO deal has worked well enough so far for SST. But you know there are the peoples out there that will still complain about it for no other good reason than to just complain about it.
Remind you of anyone we know from that same street? :grouchy: :stick_out_tongue:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah.

Granny Fanny. That ol' bat is never satisfied.

Exactly! She was so complainy she never returned to do another one of her Answer Lady sketches.

And don't get me started with Chip and Dip, those two never agreed on anything except when it came to being curmudgeonly bitter about SST's special productions. :attitude:

Erine81981

Reaction score
The episodes that premiered in January are airing on PBS now. See how fast that time window went? To quote someone from TP: "What a non-issue this was." Yes, I know, waiting for new stuff is frustrating, but you'll get to see it sooner than you think. Let me put things this way:

HBO isn't going to give Sesame all this money and get nothing in return from it; that's not how business works. They want the exclusivity of having this new material first, making them a more marketable service. Putting it out for free at the same time entirely defeats the purpose.

Remember this: HBO was pretty much the only option that would've allowed SW to keep things on PBS; it was a deal-breaker for almost everyone else they reached out to.

I still don't see how people are still complaining about this HBO thing.
I understand but it seems like that it won't be airing anytime this year. I know I just wanted something new to watch for Christmas. I really want a TV Special that isn't re-runs (even tho I love them all) I need some new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.