[Adult Swim]

Drtooth

Reaction score
I kinda like the dub, but I love the Japanese version. I have a video copy of the movie "Crayon Shin-Chan: Let's Dance Amigo" I got from an Asian market that went out of business. It was in raw Japanese, and I could only make out a tiny bit of it (They say exposing yourself to another language like that is supposed to give you the ability to understand... so far I watched like 10 Doraemon tapes and I can only understand a tiny bit, maybe a few words.), but I just loved the flow of it. I hope they release the films on DVD.

Anyway, there are somethings they kept in the American version, Shin Chan is extremely disrespectful to his mother, and will often make fun of her small bust and (supposedly) fat body. of course, what they don't have is a bunch of stuff that doesn't translate, like Shin's very odd habit of saying the wrong tense of verbs, and referring to the wrong person using pronouns. For example, he walks into his house and says "Welcome Home" instead of "I am home."

that said, the one thing I like is the name change of the Character Action Kamen, who's name I can't post here.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
but on the bright side, we're two weeks.. 2! .. from the first new episodes of The Boondocks in a year and a half :excited:
I know and I can't wait! I love that show! I love all that good stuff on adult swim!:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I feel this is better to bring up a relevant subject rather than posting a third or fourth thread on the subject.

That said, this has been bugging me and i really don't have much else of a place to post this, but...

I've said before I don't much care for the show China, IL. It really seems like something that's not quite over the top enough to be Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and not deep enough to be Venture Bros. And I have to admit, I really did want to give the creator's new series, Brad Neeley's Funny Name Funny Name Nonsense Word Wacky Word a chance.

It's actually worse. Much worse. At least China, IL with a story structure is respectable. This series came off a cross between someone who desperately wants to be Don Hertzfeld (who I don't care much for either, but I enjoy his stuff a heck of a lot better than this), and someone who desperately wants to be Justin Roiland. Half the sketches came off as head up the butt "If you're really ophisticated, you'll grokk the crap out of this" college animation project, while the other came off as "Dude! Those intergalactic cable episode of Rick and Morty are hilarious! Let's do a bad version of that." Yeah, the Donald Sutherland potato chips bit could have worked as a Rick and Morty/Justin Roiland skit, but was completely clumsy in its execution. And that was the only funny skit. It was like watching someone's animation reel before they got work on shows where someone with better writing talent shaped them.

Anyway, at least I get 15 minutes worth more of sleep on a Sunday night. Maybe 30 since I'm only so so with Squidbillies.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've said before I don't much care for the show China, IL. It really seems like something that's not quite over the top enough to be Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and not deep enough to be Venture Bros. And I have to admit, I really did want to give the creator's new series, Brad Neeley's Funny Name Funny Name Nonsense Word Wacky Word a chance.
I kinda get what China, IL was trying to go for. It was a satire of college life and how high school doesn't necessarily end when you go to college. But yeah, I couldn't get too much into it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On a purely critical level, China, IL isn't bad. It's just that kinda show that isn't wacky enough to be funny or doesn't take itself seriously enough to be straight up. Plus, the episode with the guy's butt being a comedian? Someone kinda did it better, and the only difference is the comedian is supposed to be what a real stand up routine is like, this making it under the top, and not outrageous enough to be funny, and too wacky to be taken seriously. Plus, I don;t know if Babycakes is supposed to be a satire of the wacky characters in an adult cartoon (i.e. Meatwad), but if the joke is that he's more obnoxious than endearing, even then it doesn't come off either blatant or subtle enough. I mean, yeah. Compared to Mr. Pickles, and how that show's humor is the equivalent of a 4 year old waving his arms around and saying "POOPY!" and giggling to himself about it for attention, China, IL is hardly the worst thing the network ever greenlit. His other show, however, feels like a bad (or worse depending on your opinion) version of Robot Chicken. Heck, even one of the skits was a nerd character calling another nerd character complicated, rhyming science terms for a minute in a voice that sounds very much like the Nerd character from RC.

And while I'm on the subject, I also really don't like the show Decker either. It feels the only joke they're making is "look at this! It's a big military crime drama...but everyone acts wooden and poorly! Haw haw haw!" a joke, mind you, that gets old a minute in a single episode. That's the entire series. I find the live action AS shows hit or miss, but what Decker gets wrong where Newsreaders and Children's Hospital get right is that they temper ridiculous situations with earnest acting. Ridiculous situations and poor acting? It doesn't turn into a satire of a bad show, it becomes a bad show. Though I kinda admire the attempts at Mary Sue-ism of the main character, because everything else is so clumsy, the satire doesn't work.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's a behind-the-scenes sneak peek of the 5th season/finale miniseries of Samurai Jack, which I'm super pumped for. It will be set 50 years further into the future, and will utilize more mature elements, though this does not mean full-on gore as Genndy put it. So it's very reassuring that there's not going to be any needless vulgarity here. :smile:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Here's a behind-the-scenes sneak peek of the 5th season/finale miniseries of Samurai Jack, which I'm super pumped for. It will be set 50 years further into the future, and will utilize more mature elements, though this does not mean full-on gore as Genndy put it. So it's very reassuring that there's not going to be any needless vulgarity here. :smile:

That's good to know. I was a little worried about the gore after seeing the first few pictures.

So, if this takes place fifty-years later, I wonder if the picture of Jack in the thumbnail is what he'll look like for the whole series - if so, he looks pretty darn good for someone in his 70s or 80s.

Also, I wonder who they got to replace Mako as Aku. The guy who replaced him as Iroh on The Last Airbender did a really good job- so I wouldn't be surprised if it was him.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Brad Neely's idiotic sketch show will not be getting another season. Drtooth would certainly be proud. :smile:
Ugh! That show with the horribly long title. I saw two of their sketches and found them to be a combination of boring and creepy. The Bruce Willis sketch where everybody (even the dog making for some unintentional uncanny valley horror) had Bruce Willis's head on them and the extremely gross Indiana Jones "parody" in which the real voice of some singer (I forget who) was found and everybody's faces melted. It looked like a crappy Robot Chicken ripoff and I'm not going to miss it in the least. The one difference between this and Robot Chicken:Robot Chicken is actually funny.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
My favorites [adult swim] shows:
-Robot Chicken
-Family Guy
-American Dad
-The Cleveland Show
-King of the Hill
-Bob's Burgers