Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ironically enough, that's sort of close to what John Hughes' original idea for HOME ALONE 3 was going to be about.

Not them staying in New York and getting married, mind you, but giving up their life of crime, moving to the suburbs to raise families, meanwhile Kevin was going to bust out of jail (because the Wet Bandits had him locked up and he had since become a sociopath) and hunt them down to finish them off once and for all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gosh, we're basically going to end up having to switch Christmas Eve and Christmas Day this year because, if you can believe it, my uncle is having to work on Christmas Day. :eek:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's interesting, and admittedly somewhat amusing, to look at clips from THE CHRISTMAS TOY on YouTube and see people commenting on TOY STORY ripping it off. When you really think about it, the concept of toys coming to life when we're not around has been in existence long before either of these came out. I remember as a little kid once having a VHS with public domain Christmas cartoons and shorts that dated back to like the 40s, one of which involved a little girl whose toys came to life and transported her to a magic land on Christmas Eve.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is no one else posting in this thread anymore?

Anyshoe, I'm curious as to how and why "Hallelujah" is suddenly a Christmas song this year. I'm not talking about Handel's "Messiah" (better known as "The Hallelujah Chorus"), but I mean the song that was heard in SHREK.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Is no one else posting in this thread anymore?

Anyshoe, I'm curious as to how and why "Hallelujah" is suddenly a Christmas song this year. I'm not talking about Handel's "Messiah" (better known as "The Hallelujah Chorus"), but I mean the song that was heard in SHREK.
That Shrek Christmas special?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, the original movie. This song.

Not that version, mind you, but I know Pentatonix just came out with their own cover, but I've heard at least one or two other versions being thrown in with other Christmas music this year.

cjd874

Reaction score
No, the original movie. This song.

Not that version, mind you, but I know Pentatonix just came out with their own cover, but I've heard at least one or two other versions being thrown in with other Christmas music this year.
Leonard Cohen passed away this year, and he composed "Hallelujah." So even though the song itself doesn't have much to do with Christmas, the timing of his passing coincides with the holiday season. Plus, a lot of holiday music is very emotional, so "Hallelujah" seems to fit into that category.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I didn't know that, but yeah, I can see how that would make sense.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I decided to sort of indulge in something of a Christmas marathon myself today before I have to get into some serious holiday baking tonight, so I playing Christmas episodes of various different shows today:

THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW - "The Christmas Story"
BEWITCHED - "A Vision of Sugar Plums"
BEWITCHED - "Humbug is Not to Be Spoken Here"
HEY VERN, IT'S ERNEST! - "Hey Vern, it's Holidays!"
THE ODD COUPLE - "Scrooge Gets an Oscar"
ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE - "Rocko's Modern Christmas: Can't Squeeze Cheer from a Cheese Log"
SANFORD AND SON - "Ebenezer Sanford"

I'm also thinking of popping in the DVD I have of various winter-themed episodes of CN shows.